September 20, 2014

Is Fringe about to give Lost a run for its money?

by Jason Hughes, posted May 7th 2009 4:29PM
Fringe - That last episode of Fringe just will not let go of me. Tapping into parallel worlds, and then hearing from Walter that they're real... The impending conflict that he and Bell were preparing Olivia and the other children test subjects for in Florida... The Observer coming to collect Walter because it's time... You can feel it. Things are coming to a head and it reminds me of that feeling I had toward the end of the first season of Lost.

Back then it was just a show about bizarrely connected people on a weird island who somehow survived a plane crash. We certainly didn't know 90 percent of what we do now, but we could feel all that story percolating. Mid-2008 Fringe was just a little show about weird happenings and I kept waiting to get more into the big conspiracy, the "what's this show really all about?." Now Nina Sharp of Massive Dynamics is scared, and The Observer is telling Walter that it's time. Oh the pot is stirring my friends. Fringe is one of the best hours on television right now, and it could well be poised to be one of the all-time greats!

Big John

'Fringe' could be legendary, 'Lost' better have the ending of all-time to tie up it's loose ends...

Jason Hughes is one of the worst editors in blog history.

May 13 2009 at 3:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Big John's comment
Jason Hughes

aw you shouldn't have!

May 13 2009 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Count Screwloose

And wait'll you see what they've cooked up for the big LOST/FRINGE crossover airing during next year's sweeps!

May 11 2009 at 5:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

let's just get Akiva Goldsman out of the loop and I'll be happier - the episode he wrote/directed (bad dreams) was one of the worst of the season, IMHO, which was unfortunate, cause it had some great mythological reveals - but all the banter seemed forced to me, and the non-myth stuff dragged.
Otherwise, I agree, I can't wait to find out what's gonna happen next, and that's the way I've always felt about Lost. as for "Fringe is one of the best hours on television right now, and it could well be poised to be one of the all-time greats!", well... i agree with the first half, and i guess i hope for the second half, but seems a bit of a stretch right now. A+ for enthusiasm though!

May 08 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elf

TOM: Fringe can only be judged one of the ebest hours on television when compared only to Knight Rider.

Uh...yeah. That statement is ridiculous. Fringe owes much to the X-Files in concept, true, but it has introduced it's own unique set of characters and a rich universe. It allows for mythology and monster of the week, just like the X-files, but to say it is only better than something like Knight Rider? Ridiculous.

There is a whole cable channel full of material on Sci-Fi that Fringe is light years above. Fringe appears to be everything X-Files promised to be, but never achieved.

I have watched Fringe and Sarah Connor. I like both shows. Frankly, I haven't had to struggle to get through any episode of Fringe. Each episode stands on it own as an exciting hour of television.

Sarah Connor, on the other hand, has been uneven at best, showing promise, but only really becoming memorable towands the two season finales.

I'm sorry Sarah Connor won't be back, but that doesn't mean Fringe is a sub-par show. It has the potential to be one of the great sci-fi shows even given enough time. Even it doesn't, the first season rocked and it will live on for years to come.

May 08 2009 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I agree with Michael. At this point, Lost and Fringe are the two shows I find most interesting and cannot wait to learn more about the overall plot/conspiracy/mystery. Mysterious island, Jacob, Richard Alpert, the Others, Widmore, the numbers... "The Pattern", Walter Bishop, his mysterious son, William Bell, ZFT, Massive Dynamic, Mr. Jones, Olivia, the Observer, war against multidimensional beings.

What is more enthralling than these two shows? The fact that more people are interested in which talentless hack will win a rigged singing contest really drives home the sad state of affairs in which we find ourselves.

May 08 2009 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Lawler

Having an overarching conspiracy that makes no sense is pretty much the opposite of great.

See exhibit a: Lost, and how much it's gone downhill since the first season, which was the only good one.

May 07 2009 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Richard Lawler's comment
Roland

You are so full of s**t. LOST it's only get better after season 1.

May 08 2009 at 6:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

Fox has been delinquent in providing a smooth schedule so that viewers could stay hooked on the show. Regardless, this is still one of the better shows on TV. It is best when it addresses the conspiracy and mythology of the show, rather than focusing on the procedural/monster of the week part of the show. Don't get me wrong, that sort of stuff is cute. But the real meat of the show is the "Unwilling Soldiers for the upcoming war."

May 07 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Chip Douglas's comment
GerryofNorVA

Dammit Chip, you stole my comments! So let me expand a bit. Yes, that 8-week hiatus was excruciating! How they hung on to viewers past that should be reason enough to renew 'em.

I despise the show when it's in X-Files mode, been there done that. It's best when it's in LOST mode unwinding the mystery of ZFT, interdimensional worlds, Massive Dynamic, Robert Jones, William Bell, etc. THAT's why we all watch this show, not to see the creature-feature or internal-organ of the week.

I really hope next week's season finale pays off big. Watch out for AmerIdol running over its allotted time, though.

May 07 2009 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donkey23

Jason Hughes: "Fringe is one of the best hours on television right now, and it could well be poised to be one of the all-time greats!"

The absurdity of this statement is why Europa says you must not have watched a lot of tv, and the fact that you couldn't grasp that shows why you shouldn't be given the responsibility of blogging for any show. Fringe can only be judged one of the ebest hours on television when compared only to Knight Rider.

Eludium-Q36: "I despise the show when it's in X-Files mode, been there done that. It's best when it's in LOST mode unwinding the mystery of ZFT, interdimensional worlds, Massive Dynamic, Robert Jones, William Bell, etc. THAT's why we all watch this show..."

When is the show not in X-Files mode? This show is starting to look like its just trying to pick up where X-Files left off, telling a supersoldiers and "coming war" story--and that's where people lost interest in X-Files. I don't know anyone clammering for a continuation of that storyline.

Plus, I could easily replace "It's best when it's in LOST mode unwinding the mystery of ZFT, interdimensional worlds, Massive Dynamic, Robert Jones, William Bell, etc. THAT's why we all watch this show..." with "It's best when it's in X-FILES mode (how it unwinded) the mystery of UFOs, alien conspiracies, government coverup, Alex Krycek, the Cigarette-Smoking man, etc.?

Fringe is really, really bad television, but it has a great following. Stick it on Friday night and let Sarah Connor take that huge lead in from American Idol.

SAVE SARAH CONNOR!!!

May 08 2009 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I enjoy both shows, but honestly, Fringe waited too long to get me hooked. There were a lot of tantalizing scenes all throughout the first season, but it wasn't until the most recent episode that they really stepped up their game.

Lost had me with the freaking first episode.

I hope Fringe really makes for a wham-bam finale because its what they're going to need to get people to come back next season.

May 07 2009 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Jason, dude, calm down. Have you not watched very much TV?

May 07 2009 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Europa's comment
Jason Hughes

i really don't understand this comment at all.

May 07 2009 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

I enjoy "Fringe" but lets not go nuts - it's not in the same league as "Lost".

Unless they screw it up in the final season (cough* BSG) "Lost" will be a true classic, "Fringe" strikes me more of an updated "X-Files" which I sure is how JJ pitched the show to Fox.

May 07 2009 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Guess Who's comment
Michael

Actually, I would say that Fringe is definitely right there with LOST at the end of their first season. After one season, most of us were hooked but we really had no freaking idea what was going to be coming the next three years. This season has really been incredible but I remember everyone bitching up a storm not so long ago. Now, remove all of that and go back to how you felt BEFORE they blew the hatch, BEFORE they knew about the numbers, BEFORE Ben, the Others, the other 815 survivors and Charles Widmore, BEFORE the flash forwards... I could go on and on but you get the idea. All we had at the end of Season One was this amazing desire to hurry up and get right into Season Two and I can tell you, I've got many of the exact same feelings about the end of S1 of Fringe. The last few weeks have been incredible and they've really hit their stride. As much as I can't wait to see next week's show, I also am so unready for a LONG hiatus until the next season begins again.

At least we're going to get a Season Two... unlike soooooo many other great series that FOX has let go before their time. (Firefly or Sarah Connor Chronicles anyone?)

May 07 2009 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply