July 25, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: What a Difference a Day Makes

by Michael Pascua, posted May 8th 2009 12:28AM
Grey's Anatomy - What a Difference a Day Makes

I appreciate a show that takes the time to have decently written dialogue, well timed music cues, and good use of set. A show like Grey's Anatomy needs a 100th episode celebration every week. When a show actually uses characters correctly, it can succeed.

I appreciate that this episode had characters that normally don't interact interacting. Seeing Mark/Meredith, Derek/Izzie, Lexie/George all interacting made me realize that the hospital is smaller than one thinks. You work with these people, you think you'd talk to them once in a while.

Clearly, the wedding was going to take a left turn. I was happy to see that the stress of work didn't affect anyone and they were all happily attending the wedding. So does every wedding end with sex after attending?

Thank you for explaining why Callie has no money. Not only did her father cut all emotional ties with Callie, he wiped all the money out of her accounts. Sounds illegal, but with his connections, I'm sure he could do anything. Simple and easy answer, but tying loose ends helps the extreme fans. I thought that Arizona was grating trying to pry for an answer, but when Callie finally explained her situation, Arizona understood.

I really liked the patients of the week. I could relate to having eight people in an SUV because I fit seven people in my Corolla without resorting to the trunk. Paralleling graduation with marriage seems obvious in hindsight, but having the valedictorian with Alex was a nice touch. Both "Today" speeches were fitting. I was actually happy to see that Lexie and Christina could identify who exactly the kids were from the descriptions they were given. My real question is: if the guy who saw his dead girlfriend stayed in his bed and waited, would he be alive?

George didn't seem to handle the Trauma that well, but Owen is a great mentor. If the rumors are true, George makes some Trauma-related decisions that will change his character.

I hate when people look over my shoulder, especially parents. Meredith dealt with the situation well better than I would have, especially with the Chief's mumbles and grunts. It's great finally seeing Meredith and the Chief in a healthy father/daughter relationship.

As for Izzie, I appreciate that she's grown. I'm sure that Katherine Heigl is happy to submit one of the past few episodes for Emmy consideration. Another plot hole with Izzie's hair was answered, and she looks pretty bald. I never realized that Heigl was basically her character in 27 Dresses until someone pointed it out to me. Also, Denny scared the crap out of me. Did he look like that on Supernatural?

My final thought: The whole wedding was beautiful except for Meredith's hair. How did you think the wedding went? Was anyone out there disappointed that there wasn't a Mer-Der wedding? Post comments below.

Beth

I think the writers have way to much focus on Izzie who isn't my favorite. She used George & broke up he & Callie then dropped him!! Her planning the wedding was to get her to focus on something besides having cancer!
As for Meredith & Derek they are both were they want to be! Last night was a cliffhanger making us wonder if Izzie & George both die or not! I hope not for they only bring in new characters to replace them! Then the show starts changing like ER did & I lost interest!

May 15 2009 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

The moment that brought the tears crashing dow for me was when Izzie chose Christina for her maid of honor and the line about trying to save her life being 'honorable' - wonderful moment for both actresses. I have forgiven Katherine and I hope that they do save her life however improbable in the real world.

May 09 2009 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myra Brown

Callie's father didnt' do anything illegal. He controlled the trust. He was the one that made the deposits, wh/ means he had authority to access the account. He's a controlling man, so he's trying to control her back into line by withholding money and bullying her relatives into ostracizing her. She had a trust fund that he obviously controlled.

May 08 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

All I can say is that I hope that Katherine Heighl realizes what a lucky actress she is. Last year she insulted the writers by saying in public that they did lousy writing for the show. Now they gave her a great storyline instead of asking to have her fired like they would have done in the past. There are so many talented actresses out there who would kill for the part that she has, many of them so much more talented than she. I used to be a big fan or hers, but now I think that she should definitely move on to something else. Remember, Katherine, anyone can be replaced, even you.

May 08 2009 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Fran's comment
hg

It sounds like Grey's has finally realized how lucky THEY are to have Katherine Heigl. About time.

Izzie's storyline has elevated the entire show the last 5-6 eps or so, and allowed for great stories and performances from many of the characters including Cristina/Sandra Oh, Alex/Justin Chambers, Bailey/Chandra Wilson, and others--not just Izzie/Katherine Heigl, who's been acting the hell out this storyline herself.

May 09 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

They should have made it a double wedding. Merideth and Derek's wedding storyline is getting boring. I bet they go to the courthouse eventually and do a Callie/George and elope.

May 08 2009 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkcincos

Callie is an orthopedic surgeon that has no money??? Ha! Also thought it was weird that Mere had her hair up in big rollers but looked awful for the wedding. Details people! I thought Alex should have proposed too.

May 08 2009 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dkcincos's comment
Denise

Callie is still a resident ... from what I've been told by my best friend who just finished her third year in med school, residents only get paid around $30,000 a year. And seattle is expensive ... that nice apartment she and Christina live in wouldn't be cheap etc. She will, at some point, make a lot of money, (supposedly) but not right now.

May 08 2009 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelley

A proposal would have taken away from the vows. He could have made some long heartfelt proposal, but then his vows wouldn't have been nearly as impressive.... and they were impressive. It was perfect just the way it was.

May 08 2009 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles melrose III

Illegal? Connections? Extreme fan? Pay attention. The script has told us many times that Callie's money came from trusts that Papi set up for her. He set 'em up, he can terminate 'em. Forget V chips. That's real parental control.

May 08 2009 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

This was an amazing episode. This episode shows why Kevin McKidd and Justin Chambers are quickly becoming the best things on the show.

I like that they did that...Derek and Meredith want a life together, NOT a wedding. A big wedding was what Izzie wanted, and they gave it to her. I didn't get the impression that either Derek or Meredith was flaking or bailing out. They KNOW what is important to them, and that is builiding a life and a future, not the splashy wedding. And I do think that Alex realized he wanted Izzie in his life, he was just too busy trying to compose himself, and I think Derek and Meredith stepped up as friends to help them out, rather than pushing them into something neither wanted.

This is why I started watching this show, I hope that Shonda Rhimes keeps it up.

May 08 2009 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rmpr

It really bothered me that ALex didnt propose to Izzie. Derek and Meredith handled the whole situation.. I wanted him to cry and realize he wanted her to be his wife forever propose to her and get married.. All he did was change into a tux and go to her room and tell her that that wasnt her dress. He didnt seem so in love and that disappointed me..

May 08 2009 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnzo

Did you notice in previous Denny sightings that he was wearing WHITE, but in this sighting, he was wearing BLACK? Life and death maybe?

May 08 2009 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply