September 3, 2014

My Name Is Earl: Inside Probe - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted May 8th 2009 9:02AM
My Name Is Earl

I think it's safe to say that My Name Is Earl is a prime example of a show that has lost its buzz. Remember when everyone was talking about how good and clever this show was? Now, even though it still leads off NBC's Thursday night schedule, it's not really a show that viewers talk about a lot. Of course, "buzz" doesn't necessarily equal quality, so tell me, are you still watching, and is it still as good as it used to be? It has to be good - Geraldo Rivera was in this episode!

Cincinnati Mike

What killed it for me was that month-long arc with Earl in a coma, dreaming his life as a 60s sitcom with Alyssa Milano.

May 08 2009 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cincinnati Mike's comment
CM

Yeah the show is at its best when it sticks to one-off episodes about a list item. None of the arcs have been good.

May 08 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

I still enjoy the show, and think they've hit a nice balance of list driven shows and other shows. I like how the show is willing to take some chances, like their "Cops" and "Inside Edition" style shows, as well as the clay-mation they did a while back.

May 08 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

I turn thisshow on every week. I find myself doing something else while it is on. I am kind of bored with it. I didn't care for the "Prison" story line and i have not paid attention to the story line this half of the season. I would like them to get back to the "List" too.

May 08 2009 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Papps

I stopped watching midway after they ditched the list and had the prison story arch. The first season was the pinnacle imo

May 08 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkeydog

I didn't much like the past two episodes, but this season has had some really good episodes.

Like last month with the priest guy. That was one of the best episodes in a while.

I really hope it gets another season, I can see it getting back to where it was in Season 1/Season 2.

May 08 2009 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
notatoad

i still enjoy it. some of the storylines i don't really enjoy, but overall i still find it funny. i wouldn't call it clever or smart, but it's definitely good.

May 08 2009 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Harford

To be honest... once TV Squad stopped mentioning it, I forgot it existed. So... it's still showing? Maybe I should catch up.

May 08 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Basketcase456

I still watch every week. Unfortunately it is through DVR. The show is still really funny. I wish they would do more with the list. You can tell they are trying to wrap up the show a bit since it looks that it will probably get canceled from NBC. They wrapped up Crabman's past. Resolved a lot of issues with Joy. Randy has grown up a bit. Earl is still there. Notice how the infront mentioned the Weekend Update on Thursdays, taking My Name is Earl's spot. With NBC's reduced schedule, My Name is Earl will probably disappear. The best chance Earl has is that since it is produced by Fox, it could jump to another network. After Scrubs, jumping to another network is not uncommon. Several shows are talking about it this year.

May 08 2009 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

The biggest mistake this show made was in season 2, to replace the self-contained episodes based on the list with a 2 season-long story arc that involved Joy in court and Earl in Jail.

If they had stuck with the list, they would have easily had over 100 episodes to be syndicated for years.

May 08 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Dropped it after the second episode this year. It simply became totally stupid and the Scientology involvement started to outweigh the funny.

May 08 2009 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply