July 28, 2014

New Star Trek kicks the ass of every other Star Trek

by Danny Gallagher, posted May 8th 2009 10:02AM
The cast of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek

I'm not the kind of person who normally resorts to pumping something full of hype, but if you are reading this and haven't seen the new big-screen adaptation of Star Trek, you need to be tied to something heavy so that "certain" people can know your whereabouts at all times.

J.J. Abrams' new vision of TV's original Star Trek has everything you expect from a summer movie flick that costs $150 million to make and $8.25 a ticket: laughs, big explosions, smokin' hot alien babes who spend the majority of their screen time in skimpy underwear.

However, it has accomplished something far greater than just being a great summer epic. It manages to appeal to an audience even wider than rabid Trekkies who still refuse to wash the hand they shook DeForest Kelley's hand with back in 1975. It also breathes new life into a sci-fi series whose bones were picked clean by the studio vultures long ago.

It's got a complex plot, but not one that takes the mind of a genetic physicist to understand and appreciate. A rogue Romulan, Nero (played by Eric Bana), pulls a Terminator and ventures to the past to exact revenge for the destruction of his home planet, and the Enterprise gets in his cross hairs. Of course, this isn't your Daddy's Enterprise. This is a crew of fresh faced cadets learning the ropes and each others' limits to defeat an enemy thirsty for blood.

Every level works to some degree, but casting deserves some major kudos. The cast doesn't merely imitate the original characters from the TV series. They build on them. They have fun with them, and the script gives them a lot of good material to work with. It's deeply emotional, particularly with the young Spock, played brilliantly by Heroes' Zachary Quinto who walks a very fine edge as a cold and calculating Vulcan wrestling with the power of human emotion. If the first few minutes alone don't give you a lump in your throat, check the color of your blood to make sure it's not green.

It's action packed from beginning to end. The new James T. Kirk, played by Chris Pine, bounces around the screen and gets into some over-the-top fights. There are big explosions, loud fights and giant climactic battles that assault the senses and throw fire in your eyes. The IMAX version could be considered a Class B misdemeanor in some of the wussier states.

But most surprisingly of all, it's damn funny. There are the in-jokes that just about every pop culture junkie knows. A red shirt will die. Bones, played by Keith Karl Urban, will exclaim that "he's a doctor, not an [insert random profession here]" (I was pulling for "secret shopper"). Scotty, played by Spaced's Simon Pegg, will complain that he's "giving her all she's got." Even if the scriptwriters eliminated every joke that relates to Star Trek, its own sense of humor could run on its own two engines.

And the funniest part is, this is all coming from someone who never really liked Star Trek all that much in the first place. Don't bother with the comments. I know I'm evil.

Roger

Mike, look at what the comics did to Superman, Batman, Legion of Super Heroes and others.
They've destroyed characters only to bring them back in another form.
The idea of having a single timeline has been beaten for years. DC wiped everyone out that wasn't selling.
It's al about money. Smallville is Superman in name only. Names the same but history is rewritten.
Nothing is holy. For me I'm watching the old series and movies.
Shatner wrote the perfect continuation to "Generations" but it never was made.

June 10 2009 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alumaxindy

New Star Trek movie -- lotsa BANG, not much story. All the actors were good. I've enjoyed the most of the movies (enjoyed Nemesis) and all the series. Yes, this will be a summer movie labeled as "must see" and will bring in the bucks as intended. I will probably watch
it again when it hits cable but I won't pay a second time to see it at the theatre. My preference would have been a movie with the "Enterprise" characters since their series was cut short and just beginning to open the Federation of Planets story.

May 26 2009 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unknownloser

See this movie!!! Tell everyone to see this!! I want this movie to be huge so we have many more sequels!!!!

May 11 2009 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unknownloser

This is one of the greatest science fiction movies ever! This movie is nothing like the Star Trek of old. This has done for Star Trek what Batman Begins and Dark Knight did for Batman. Amazing movie!!! You must see this movie at all costs over any other movie this summer!!!!

May 11 2009 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Brennan-White

Okay a show of hands. How many people waited through the credits hoping for a crossover with Lost?

I seriously enjoyed the film and also loved the fact that the three pre-teens I brought along loved the movie also.

May 10 2009 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fuzzyfreaker

Look, if anything, this movie corrected what was wrong with Star Trek (movie-wise), in the first place. In Star Trek IV, when they give the formula to a Plexiglas manufacturer in exchange for a tank to hold the whales, they ask what will happen if they give this guy the formula, and that subsequently changes history.

The way they correct this plothole is by putting in a line which Scotty basically says, "Well, how do we know that he DIDN'T invent it?" and they just go on their way.

This movie is quite literally a reboot. It restarts Trek from the very beginning, but still connects it back to the original films and series enough to get former fans back into the series. It's not like the other stuff never happened, it's just a different universe.

Star Trek has done far worse and far stupider things than this, and that J.J Abrams had the decency to at least give you a bit of connection back to the originals, instead of just erasing everything and starting over, shouldn't be taken for granted. It's what we've got now, and for that, I think they did a pretty damn good job.

And that's enough of me geeking out for the day, I feel like an idiot.

May 09 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

I should also add that another slap to the face to Trek fans is that JJ Abrams kept the least liked ST series (Enterprise) and kicking all others to the curb.

Please bring back Ron Moore to Star Trek.

May 08 2009 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

TVSquad Editors: Why are you trying to hide comments that disagree with the post? It is adding to the discussion. Come on. Mike is making a good point, a counterpoint. Why is there a need to hide a dissenting opinion?

I want to hear what Star Trek fans actually like this movie. This movie is an empty shell of a movie. The science in this movie is even more unbelievable. When fall from space into an atmosphere, you start to burn to pieces. How could Kirk and Sulu go down without burning? Later when Spock throws Kirk into the escape pod, the pod burns in the atmosphere.

May 08 2009 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Edward's comment
Dorv

What do you mean trying to hide? The grayed out stuff is a by-product of being down ranked and such by other commenters.

May 08 2009 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

The science is unbelievable in the movie? As if the show WAS believable? Good grief, come back to earth. The show was - at best - mindless.

May 09 2009 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

As the series was awful and the movies were too (why no conflict ever in Star Trek among the characters on the ship?), Abrams would have to work hard to be make a worse movie.

May 08 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I consider myself a Trekkie, even though I wasn't fond of DS9 or Voyager. I loved the very first episode I saw, way back in the sixties. I had the models, every book, and dreamed of being there. Will I see this movie? Nope. I am just so tired of people turning every movie into explosions and sexy people. The original ST didn't have a hot guy in it. Ok, Uhura was pretty. And yet we watched, and loved it. I've heard the comments, this isn't your father's ST, or the first ST for everyone. What a load. This is an insult to Trekkies everywhere. ST itself is for everyone. Just watching the trailers made me steam because Chekov and the 'gang' weren't all the same age, and didn't hang out together. Come on, guys. At least Peter Jackson tried as hard as he could to follow Lord of the Rings. JJ just ruined Star Trek.

May 08 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply