April 21, 2014

Survivor: The Ultimate Sacrifice

by Jackie Schnoop, posted May 8th 2009 12:40AM
Jeff Probst hosts the auction on Survivor Tocantins

(S18E12) Would you prefer what's in the covered dish or what's behind Door Number Two? Okay, I lied. There is no door, just the dish. But, just think a minute ... if there was a door, perhaps Coach would be behind it pledging his never-ending Dragon Slayer hot love and devotion to you! That would make it all worthwhile, wouldn't it? This was the Survivor auction week, always a world of gastronomical goodies. What I'd like to see is Coach on a platter at Tribal Council. Is that asking too much?

Greasy food and schmaltz to wash it down
I was kind of surprised there were no really bad trick dishes in the covered plates. Usually there are bugs or something. I suppose chicken hearts were the trick, but they're not so bad unless they're raw. They go well with gizzards!

But the real story was the schmaltz. Jeff announced the last auction item and it was a (product placement) cell phone. One person could get a video from home and it was the only time they could pool money. Aww, how sweet was it that every single one of them gave their money to Taj? It all turned out all right in the end -- Taj went to Exile Island with her husband while everyone else got a visit from their loved ones at camp. Tearjerking gag me with a spoon material, eh?

I should mention that Coach's "loved one" was his assistant coach. It doesn't really surprise me that he didn't invite a woman. What woman in her right mind would be with him? What man, for that matter, either? He's a Coach who could only be loved by an assistant coach. And, no one calls him Dragon Slayer except himself. He's so not ruling the game!

Whoa Stephen!
The immunity challenge baffled me as I watched it. I tried to remember the math symbols, and there was no way. I was just sitting in my recliner with no stress. While I understand his explanation for memorizing the symbols, there's no way I could remember which symbols I assigned which numbers to and two phone numbers. Y'know, I wouldn't mind if Stephen won this all.

Alliance? What alliance?
I've given Stephen credit for brains and thinking ahead all along, not so much JT. I thought earlier in the game that JT's honesty and country manners would do him in. Ah, no. He's turned into a conniver. I love it! He keeps lying blatantly to Coach (who's not such an example of integrity as his deluded mind thinks). JT and Stephen have an alliance along the line of Rudy and Richard -- loyal to the end and may the best man win. Add Taj in there as the third and there's your final three.

Debbie is shrewd, but wasn't smart enough to realize that they're never going to trust her. Erinn is most likely the fourth of the final crew as she came to them right after the tribe merge. She voted with the Jalapao block this week. Then there's Coach. He's delusional and still thinks it's an alpha male grunt game. Well, if Stephen fits that image, it could be.

Tonight the editing tried to show it to be a struggle between booting Coach or Debbie. In the end, it was bye-bye Debbie. I really want to see those fireworks from Coach next week because the old Jalapao alliance voted to take out his ally Debbie instead of his choice of Taj. Of course, Debbie was sure they were all voting Coach, so she was the sole vote for Coach. So he unanimously betrayed! Bwahaha!

As long as Coach doesn't win, I'd be okay with any of the rest winning.

Did they vote off the right person this week?
Yes, Coach will be next325 (73.2%)
Yes, but they should watch Erinn51 (11.5%)
No, Stephen is right -- they should all worry about him and JT45 (10.1%)
Taj needs to go12 (2.7%)
You tell me in comments!11 (2.5%)

Faith

I sometimes think Coach is just some paid actor, who is there to make the show more "interesting"...I just find it hard to believe that someone like him really exists outside the walls of a mental institution :)

May 09 2009 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martha

Have you all seen this? www.susansymphony.com. It is Coach. Appears he is telling the truth. Go figure!

May 09 2009 at 3:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dbobilin

Is it possible that Coach is related to Johnny Fairplay?

May 08 2009 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

There are five people left at the camp and four at the elimination station. Next Thursday, one more will leave camp, leaving four there and five at elim. The Sunday after is the two hour finale where one will be voted off again during the first hour, leaving three at camp and six for the jury. The second hour will be the final challenge and the winner of that chooses one of the other two to stay with him/her for the final two, while the unchosen one goes to jury, making it a jury of seven. Then the jury votes on which of the two will be the winner. Isn't that the way it works?

May 08 2009 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mvdelaney77

They know it's going to the final 2 because they were commenting about Debbie giving up immunity and going home at third place.

Do you guys watch this show? They said that like 4 times....

May 08 2009 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sancty

While I heard Stephen/JT pontificate on how big a threat Debbie is... in truth she's really not - The Individual Immunity she won was that stupid disc throwing bit when Coach/Stephen were mowing down on Pizza - she won because luck gave her the final shot!

May 08 2009 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sancty

Here's the thought I was proposing to the in-laws last night

As of right now, with Debbie gone - Coach is on uber-alert and he'll be scamming at maximum levels for the next 3 days... anything can happen and hurt the Stephen/JT ruling party

BUT

Had they voted Coach off instead. Debbie would have felt secure in her two guys (there is no way she was planning a coup for the next vote!), life would have been hunky-dory for the next 3 days and you blindside her then!

I don't get what was gained from Debbie going this week?

May 08 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sancty's comment
Eric

they have have been more worried about Debbie, for a couple of reasons, one she is a smart player with coach gone, she could have tried have shown some light on the JT/Stephen alliance, and tried to get a women's alliance going. Two she is pretty good at challenges, and as it gets more towards the end, they start going with more mental challenges in the mix. She has won individual immunity before and was right there with JT and Stephen this time. Third she is a nice person and they may feel that there is more Jury dislike for Coach then her. With the current jury, JT and or Stephen may be thinking of keeping coach around, because he has shown he will vote how they want him to vote, if they feed him the right bs, and he is the most disliked player and they may feel that they could easily beat him in the end.

May 08 2009 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Dang, Coach lasted another week. I wondered who his "loved one" would be, and wasn't surprised when it was his lover... err, "assistant coach". LOL Coach needed to go home weeks ago. Can't believe he's still in the game. He's the most arrogant, delusional, ridiculously self-righteous contestant in Survivor history, in my opinion. "Dragon Slayer"... LOL
Brick Layer is more like it. Oops. Sorry, I take that back. That's an insult to brick layers everywhere....

May 08 2009 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
theConundrumm

brick layer like a chicken is an egg layer...

May 09 2009 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAKB

Will this really come down to 3 people in the final or 2 ? Right now the jury has 4 people - Brendan, Tyson, Sierra & Debbie .... at least 2 more of the remaining five will join the jury and that will make a 6 person jury if they intend on sticking with the 3 person final forumula. Survivor has never had an 'even' number of jury members so I wonder if this will actually come down to a final 2 / 7 man jury and no one realizes this yet.

May 08 2009 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saint libido

Coach is playing everyone masterfully. I think everyone is undermining everything he has done. This is going to be the ultimate upset in Survivor history. Especially when he starts winning those immunity idols.

Pure genius the way he's played the game.

GO COACH GO!!! YOU ARE THE DRAGONSLAYER!!!!

May 08 2009 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply