October 2, 2014

24: 5:00AM - 6:00AM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 11th 2009 10:01PM

Kiefer Sutherland
(S07E22) "Why did you betray me?" - Jack

Since next week's finale is actually the last two hours of the season back-to-back, I think it's safe to refer to tonight's hour as Day 7's penultimate episode. As is so often the case with pivotal installments that precede a finale (especially with 24), going into it, I couldn't help shake the feeling that the bio-terror threat would be erased for good only to reveal one more crisis ready to spill over into next week. I'm not trying to say that it was predictable, but ... well ... nevermind. It was predictable.

The driving factor behind that reasoning? Kim Bauer. We all knew she was going make a comeback after her brief appearance a few weeks ago and a Kim/Jack reunion wouldn't be complete without "The Cougar Factor." Last time we saw her in season five, she got holed up in a CTU conference room while Sentox nerve gas wiped out the rest of the building. When she left, Kim said something along the lines of leaving Jack alone because being near him always led to bad things. Well ... yeah. So it comes as no surprise that Kim ended up being Tony and Cara's contingency plan.

Jack, in his never ending bad-ass wisdom, sent an FBI agent to tail Kim until she safely made it on to her flight back home. However, Tony's goons eliminated the agent and then proceeded to befriend Kim, posing as a nice married couple. The price of Kim's life? Tony's release from FBI custody. Jabraan was stopped, the bio-weapon was neutralized, and Tony's life is all that remains. It's not that I don't find this whole twist riveting, but there are still a few things that kind of bug me about it:

• The only reason the contingency plan seemed to exist was in the event that Tony got captured. It had nothing to do with Tony, Cara, and Alan's ultimate end game. The contingency plan seems to have resulted entirely out of Tony and Cara's romantic involvement and in any other situation, Tony would be expendable. Cara has proven thus far that she's a company girl and doesn't really give a damn about who lives and who dies as long as the job gets done. But now she's risking it all for Tony. Seems out of character for her.
  • This essentially makes things personal for Jack and that, more than anything, was one of the biggest pitfalls of Day 6 - it become too personal and the family involvement was way over the top. I'm not saying that's the case here and I don't think in the final two hours it could every reach the absurd levels of Graem and Phillip. However, putting Kim's life on the line in a way sort of negates the rest of the season. For Jack, nothing else at this point really matters now. Regardless, like I said, the whole twist was still riveting and I'm pumped for the finale.

As for the rest of the episode? It was still very solid. The continuing nerd battle between Chloe and Janis provided some great comic moments, but the best sub-plot by far is Aaron turning to Ethan for help in nailing Olivia for putting the hit out on Hodges. Obviously, Aaron doesn't know the truth yet, but he obviously knows something ain't right. I'm a little annoyed at how easily Olivia has crumbled, especially considering how much of a conniving bitch she was earlier in the day. But if anything, that's just making me look forward to her downfall even more.

What did everyone else think? Any predictions for the finale? Will Jack be able to save Kim and still get his revenge on Tony? Could Olivia possibly have one more play up her sleeve to cover her tracks? Only two hours left!

Randy

Do not read if your on the west coast! Spoilers. Know what kids? I can live with that ending, I mean for now. I like the way it slowed down at the end. I like the fact that Kim wasnt really the damsil in distress. I like the ending for Tony....He will be back I am sure. Ok enough about what I liked lets cut to the chase. We all knew that this group could not be brought down today. The writers have already said that day eight happens very quiclky after day 7. Jack is going to live a little longer. Hey the stem cell treatment may not cure him but may slow it down. Renee is going to be FUN next season, I love the look on her face when she walks into that room. Olivia, comon that was a tired storyline anyway but we needed something to slow things downs since Audry left. I am satisfied with this season, I know there are going to be a lot of whiners out there complaining about the show. My advice is watch American Idol its more your speed anyway. Thanks 24 for a great year, I am so glad it will be back for one more swing next year. God Bless kids

May 18 2009 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie51

To "n96jp"

Couldn't agree with you more. The only reason I watch Garofabuffalo's scenes is because I want to see Chloe's scenes. Otherwise, I'd be pushing the fast forward button. My sincere hope is that "Janis" ends up mirroring the real life idiocy of Garabuffalo so Chloe can put us out of our misery.

May 14 2009 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryan

please please please be over
jack is sooooooooooo annoying
die jack die
end our suffering

May 14 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
n96jp

Where is my comments

May 13 2009 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
n96jp

The left wing writers had to inject their liberal leanings by putting Jeanne garafola in the show. Too bad the show was going along real good without sticking in some sort of politics with that left wing bitch who hates this country. Get rid of her. I detest this hate monger to the point I don't want to watch the show. Am I only one that feels this way? WW2 vet

May 13 2009 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve D

By slamming the actress who plays Kim, can I assume that you people think Tony is a GOOD actor? If there was an award for scowling and whispering he'd surely win, otherwise he's just annoying. And plot manipulation? He was DEAD before this season!

May 13 2009 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J Fred

Still love the show after all these season . . HATE to see it end. . . and HOPE there will be no more writer strikes. . . LOL . .
You know Jack will not die. . .I wonder though if his OLD girl friend will reappear. . . cannot remember her name. .. but father was big dog in Government. . Tony just cannot be the bad guy unless there is a reason behind it. . .

May 13 2009 at 7:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
attyrrb

First, I'm tired of hearing negative comments about Kim. She gets some bad storylines, but she is a good actress, when given something to do. When Jack had to talk her through killing the abusive father in Season 2, she was wonderful. Second, and more importantly, What is happening to Kim is a good reason for Jack not to fight to live, Kim is always a target and eventually someone will kill her or baby Terri and Jack could not live with that. So here's my prediction. Jack explains that she will never be safe as long as he is alive, so she goes along with sedating him so he will be unconscious when death comes. But once he is unconscious, she will be the "next of kin" who has authority to make medical decisions and that will be the way the stem cell cure will be possible. That's how I would write it.

May 12 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy

I don't think any of you have realized that Aaron isn't trying to gather evidence to incriminate Olivia, and in fact I think he genuinely believes her. He is trying to find and destroy the recordings because earlier in the day he had asked her if there was anything he could do, and she said "kill Jonas Hodges". Aaron has no idea there is any more sinister than that furstrated statement on those recordings, but he knows how things work on the Hill, and that statement would be enough to bring someone like Olivia down. Of course the former Chief of Staff will discover that there is much worse on those tapes than Aaron expects, and we might end up seeing Aaron grappling with a decision to defend his principle from this threat, or allow her to be destroyed.

May 12 2009 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
t

They said that because of the writers strike and the extra year they had to prepare this day, that it was going to be great but I find it all highly predictable. I can't seem to suspend my disbelief. How many times can one man save a country from an attack? So Jack coughs a couple of times per episode he grimaces for a second than winces and were suppossed to believe that he will be dead in less than a day. As soon as they said he was dying everybody watching knew that he wouldn't. I started watching 24 back on day one. Day one was the best, it was riveting, suspensful like nothing I've ever seen. Now it's just ridiculous.

May 12 2009 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply