October 2, 2014

Desperate Housewives: Marry Me a Little

by Isabelle Carreau, posted May 11th 2009 1:00PM
Desperate Housewives
(S05E22) Those of you tired of Tom's mid-life crisis, raise your hand! I'm sure we are a lot of people with one hand raised right now. I know that a lot of men go through it and that it can last really long in real life, but on TV, can we not have Tom go through his mid-life crisis for an entire year?! A few of you mentioned in comments last week how Tom was getting annoying and that he needed new storylines or else. Will Tom find his way before the season ends?

If the writers want fans to keep loving both Scavos, they'll need to have Tom find his new path soon. As we saw this week, Tom is outdated when the marketing world is concerned. I was a bit surprised he didn't know about Twitter as it's more than likely both his twins have accounts... then again, does he really know what his twins are doing?

Anyway, back to Tom. It's clear he can't be in marketing anymore and that he wants more action in his life than staying at home so the writers will need to have Tom go back to school or something so he can get a job he is passionate about.

We need the Tom Scavo from season one back. We need him at the top of his game. Plus having a man going through his mid-life crisis going back to school can provide fun storylines, especially if most of the other students are in their early 20s. What do you think about this idea? Would you prefer Tom stays at home with the kids, gossips with Gaby and take part in the poker games?

Bree and Karl taking care of Bree's assets troubled me a bit this week. I knew Karl was a scumbag willing to do a lot of bad things to get what he wants and we've seen Bree do some pretty bad deeds as well in the past, but seeing her agree to having secret offshore accounts and stealing her own house brushed me off the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong, Karl and Bree looked hot in their black clothes while robbing the house, and I'm even on the verge to be a Bree/Karl shipper. But this whole storyline makes me think that something awful is about to happen to Bree. It's clear that Orson will try to get revenge now that he knows Bree stole their house. But could Bree also be in legal troubles?

Speaking troubles, it looks like Dave overheard everything Susan told Katherine about the arranged marriage so that Jackson could stay in the country. It's clear he is the one who ratted Jackson out to the police as Jackson was about to go meet the detectives working on the fire case. With that move, Dave surely took Jackson out of the equation as Jackson will be deported to Canada. This could mean there will be no more Gale Harold on Wisteria Lane. Dave only has to take care of Susan and MJ to finally get his revenge. Next week's two-hour finale will be interesting to see unfold as for sure, Dave will try to take care of business.

I don't approve of what Katherine did to get Mike to propose. We know that, like Bree, Katherine is a master manipulator, but when love is concerned, I believe you should let things evolve as they should otherwise you may end up being miserable. It's clear Mike loves Katherine but if it weren't for Susan and Jackson getting married, I highly doubt he would have proposed to Katherine so soon. Katherine knows it because Mike would have probably called the whole thing off if he had learned that Susan still wanted child support because she was fake marrying Jackson.

Katherine played her cards well and sent a text message to Susan using Mike's phone saying that he would keep paying. Even if Katherine erased the messages, it's clear that Mike will learn one day or another. What will happen then? Will Mike forgive Katherine for lying to him? Mmmm.... as much as I love those two together, I'm not sure he will easily forgive her. She may need to do some more emotional manipulations to get out of this one.

As for Gaby, once again, we got a filler-type storyline in which she learns that she must not go back to her old self even if she has the money, blah, blah, blah.

What did you think of the episode? Care to speculate on the two-hour season finale? Share your ideas and theories below in comments.

tiffanizora

KEEP JACKSON!!!

May 25 2009 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tiffanizora

I have lots to say, but for now, I just want Jackson back, and I hope he gets back with Susan. Gale has so much talent, he's so witty and charming, intelligent and handsome. He's funloving and is perfect for Susan. Karl was fun, but he has no morals. Mike is nice and handsome as well, but he's mature and manly, and mentally Susan seems like his child more than his lover. PLEASE KEEP JACKSON! HE'S GREAT!!!

May 25 2009 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
itsy

Isabelle, stole the house? Stole the house? Are you trying to introduce a new idiom into the language? Yeah, we know what you meant but good writing is one of the reasons that some of us want to read your reviews. Stole the house - not cute, doesn't work.

May 12 2009 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I do hope mike and susan get back together.. don't forget they have a son and his best enviroment is with mommy and daddy together (if they love each other and not beat one another or other bad things)

I enjoy Tom's story..probably its conclusion will set his story up for next year.

May 11 2009 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fox Mulder

It was a weak episode but I was glad to see Jackson again. I'm tired of Mike and Susan. I really hope they won't end up together...

May 11 2009 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angela

Who gets to stop paying CHILD support when the mother remarries? It doesn't make the other guy the dad!

May 11 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to angela's comment
4beard

It was alimony he was referring to not child support. I disagree that Mike loves Katherine. How can he lover her as he is staring at Susan with love and lust in his eyes! Men aren't the only ones who get mid-life crises. What do you really think empty nest is?? We all get it and it isn't any fun to deal with. I thought it was so touching when Lynette told him what all his wrinkles meant to her. Beautiful! The season in whole has not been up to par. Hopefully they will come out kicking and screaming next year.

May 11 2009 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I agree with the review of last night's episode. Definately not one of their best. Tom is annoying the hell out of me. I like him the best when he's the supportive and loving husband and father, not the whining-self absorbed jerk.

Oh man, I HOPE they don't try to rekindle the Susan and Mike love story. But as we saw in the season finale preview it looks like some hard decisions are going to be made between those two.

I'm getting the feeling that something might be brewing between Bree and Karl. That'd be interesting. I'd like to see that unless they bring back the guy Orson was when he first met Bree.

May 11 2009 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sarah's comment
Will

Though I'm probably wrong, I'm really beginning to think the Bree storyline is going to provide an exit for Kyle MacLachlan out of the series. Believe me, I have no inside knowledge of this and as I said, I'm probably wrong, but I just have a feeling that Orson is not going to survive this year's season finale, that he will somehow get caught up in the Dave-trying-to-kill-Susan storyline and end up dead by the time it's all over. Besides, how else are they going to resolve Bree's need to get him out of the way?

May 14 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

I agree... a very weak episode, but we will have those. I HATE the way Lynette is treating Tom. I think she is adding to his problems.

I hated what they have turned Orson into...

Juanita is on my nerve too. She's 6 and they are making her act like a 10 year old.

I just don't think that the season finale is going to live up to last years.

May 11 2009 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

This was one of the weaker episodes of the past several weeks. Tom needs to get a life. Gaby needs to be cut off. Bree needs to look within herself and do the right thing. Mike needs to sh*t or get off the pot with Katherine (and/or Susan), and Dave needs to either kill somebody or get the hell off Wysteria lane. Whatever happened to the gay neighbors?

May 11 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Jeanette

Right, what did happen to the gay neighbors? Good question. I guess Gabby has used the money she now has to buy her some new hair too. If you remember her hair was short when the season began. Dave needs to go.

May 11 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply