American Idol: Top 3 perform

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 13th 2009 12:18AM
american idol top 3

We open up with a shot of the three finalists: Danny, Adam and Kris. Doesn't it make you kind of sad? I don't want a finale with three dudes -- I want Allison back! She should be standing up there instead of Gokey, and she probably would be if the judges didn't have some weird fascination with him.

In any case, Ryan informs us it's the 300th episode and that we should stand up for the top 3. No thank you, sir. This is also the episode in which the finalists sing two songs, one of which is chosen by the judges. I already know what Gokey is singing, because Paula Tweeted it earlier today. NOT THAT SHE'S BIASED OR ANYTHING. Hey Paula, what are the other guys singing? Huh? What was that? <crickets>.

American Idol' Show Photos

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Danny Gokey performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Matt Giraud performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Allison Iraheta performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Adam Lambert performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Anoop Desai performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Danny Gokey performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Kris Allen performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Matt Giraud performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Adam Lambert performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Allison Iraheta performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

Danny Gokey, "Dance Little Sister"

Let me see if I can accurately recreate Danny's performance: "Growl, growl, rurrr, rurrr (dance like there's a hula hoop swinging around his neck) Growwwwwwl, (glasses, glasses) rruuurr, doo doo dee dooo deee dooo (interact with sax player) sistah!" I think I also heard the words, "dance," and "sister," but I can't be positive.

Randy says it's dope, Kara says that it kept him in his money spot, but doesn't like the dancing. Paula loved his Wii Fit style of dancing, while Simon calls the dancing a bit desperate and said it was vocally "very, very good."

Kris Allen, "Apologize"

While Kara and Randy are talking about why they chose this song for Kris, I was trying to place it. Right before Kris started singing, I remembered what song this was -- and that I hate it. After his performance, I still hate the song, but I hate it less because it's not over-processed and hideous. I am, however, concerned that he didn't make the arrangement different enough from the original. I do like how he busted out the piano, though, and the ending was lovely.

Randy says that this song shows what he can be in the future of the music business. Kara calls it a confident performance, but that he didn't hit it out of the park and that he didn't make it his own enough. Paula also doesn't think he took enough artistic license and that there was a bum note. Simon is awesome and calls Kara out saying, "You can't choose a song for him and then blame him for doing the song." He then tells Randy and Kara that they should have worked with him on the arrangement, and things get heated. It is amazing.

Adam Lambert, "One"

Simon chose this song for Adam and takes great pleasure in telling everybody that he got permission from Bono personally to use this song on the show. So he starts off really well, and I'm begrudgingly starting to think that this is the best performance of the night, when whoseinthewhatnow? Things get crazy in the middle. Now come on. I actually went, "aahhh!" when he started going off on his tangent. It physically hurt me. I know there are legions of people out there, my father included, who think that Lambert is the second coming, but come on. The slurred "whaIgot," the screechy falsetto, the "when all you got is waaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!" it was heinous. Right? I can't be the only one hearing that, can I? I mean, good on him for making it unique, but WTF?

Randy says he's been hot since day one, but that he's not in love with it. Kara calls it unbelievable (in a good way). Paula says it was a brilliant performance, while Simon is smug as all get-out. He says it was a brilliant song choice, and that it was a brilliant, brilliant performance. (Oh, and just as a side note, when Adam was talking to Ryan afterward and said that we at home should rewind it and listen to the lyrics because they're beautiful, I wanted to smack him. Does he really think he's the one who has given the gift of U2 to the unwashed masses?)

Danny Gokey, "You Are So Beautiful"

Even I will admit that this is a great song choice for him. It suits his growly voice, and the training bra crowd will love it. While it doesn't knock my socks off by any means, he does a perfectly nice job with it. I honestly thought he was going to start licking the microphone about halfway through, but other than that; good job, sir.

Randy says that he can "really, really, really" sing. Kara says it was stunning, while Paula tells him he left all of them breathless. Simon calls it a "vocal master class" and his white t-shirt is covered in Paula's makeup.

Kris Allen, "Heartless"

Come on, you have to admit this is a brilliant song choice on Kris's part. He has no choice but to switch it up and make it his own, because while he is many things, Kris is certainly not Kanye West. He gets up there with his acoustic guitar and completely nails it. Granted, I love both Kanye and Kris, but I thought this was a unique and fun performance. I'm not gonna lie: I was dancing in my seat a little bit during this.

Randy completely craps his pants, saying it was better than the original. There's another amazing moment when Kara yells at him, "Why didn't you do that with 'Apologize??'" and he quietly replies, "'Cause I didn't want to do that." HA! She calls him fearless, while Paula says that his ability to switch songs up is what keeps him relevant. Simon tells him that after the judges' lame song choice, he had written him out of the competition, but that it had all changed after this competition.

Adam Lambert, "Cryin'"

Hey, it's "old" Aerosmith! This is so much better than his first performance, it's ridiculous. This is a perfect song for him. Steven Tyler is over-the-top enough that this song complements Adam's style, instead of him completely overpowering it. I do think the last note was a little too Broadway, but overall it was a really good song for him.

Randy says that Adam is one of the best that they have ever had on this stage, Kara says that they'll see him in the Finals, and Paula says a bunch of stuff about frequent flier miles that makes no sense, and then says that they'll be seeing him next week and many years from now. Simon says that its easy to assume he's going to be in the finals, but that they still need to vote for him to make sure.

I'm not one of the people who thinks that Idol is fixed, but I can't be the only one who thought it was weird how Ryan was talking to Kris the entire night as though he was already gone. "So, this is it ... unless you make it to next week." What was that about? I know he's the dark horse, but still. Overall, Danny and Adam both had horrible first performances followed by really good second performances. Kris had a mediocre first performance followed by an amazing second performance. Yes, he's my favorite, but I honestly think he did the best overall, narrowly beating Adam. Gokey, for me, trailed a distant third. I'm afraid, however, that that's not how the voting will turn out.

What about you? Who do you think deserves to make it to the finals next week?

Who should end up in the American Idol finals?
Danny Gokey275 (13.5%)
Kris Allen943 (46.2%)
Adam Lambert825 (40.4%)

sueda

Danny reminds me a wee bit of a Memphis icon. Anyone else think so?

May 13 2009 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cimi

We are used to seeing outstanding performances from Adam. I wasn't real thrilled with lasts nights performances, but I still think he did one heck of a job. He can't be perfect all the time folks. I think what it is is that we are programmed for him to do a perfect job that we can't bear when he doesn't meet that expectation. I love Adam and always will. From the very beginning he has proven to be the best entertainer/singer/performer and I think he deserves to win this thing. Take a look around the www. and see just how popular he is.

Go Adam! and please don't take that rocker thing too seriously. I think you can do it all.

May 13 2009 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cimi

May 13 2009 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
esltcher

Kona,
I have no idea why they let you take this over; you are beyond cruel and you encourage others to be hateful and this whole column seems to encourage others to make fun and be nasty.

All three were good in their own way. I liked Adam back in the Mad World days but it seems he's been singing more upbeat songs and he's over the top for me, but I know most people love him.

Kris singing Heartless was just a lovely experience. I thought it was a beautiful arrangment.

Anybody who actually thinks Danny Gokey can't sing has never been in a choir or a chorus. The guy can sing. I loved the second song, not as much the first one.

I think Danny will go home tonight, just based on the different columnist insistence that he go. I think he only should go if people think he was outsung by the other two.

May 13 2009 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Matt Giraud is the true star of American idol this season. The overpraise of Adam is making his so overrated.

May 13 2009 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Is anyone getting tired of the judges falling all over Lambert and Gokey? Adam has a ridiculous range, but he is a visual performer (Vegas or Broadway). I wouldn't buy his record. As far as Gokey goes, how can Kara get on Kris about the arrangement of his first song when Gokey's first performance was weak and completely unoriginal. Kris is the only one left whose record I would consider buying. Go Kris!

May 13 2009 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

You might wanna call a TV repairman to come out to your house and check the speakers on your television. They're clearly malfunctioning, and you'll want to be able to actually hear the performances of Adam and Kris in next week's finale. LOL

May 13 2009 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

It's funny you mention the way they were talking to Kris. I actually thought the opposite like they were virtually guaranteeing that he'd be in the finale.

But yea, I think this show is 100% fixed.

May 13 2009 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Adam did an amazing job with "One" and delivered it vocally precise with passion and meaning. If you can't hear that, I feel badly for you... you missed out on a really beautiful musical moment; one that I'm confident Bono was proud of.
Having said that, I did find Adam's comments a tad self-indulgent; that viewers "rewind and listen to the words." The song (both by U2 and by U2 with Mary J. Blige) has been around for over a decade and a half, and sold millions and millions of copies; most people know the words by now, Adam. :)

May 13 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Mike

Ugh, seriously? It was awful. Every song Adam does ends up sounding the same. This was extremely easy to see last night when they recap and show clips of the 2 songs back to back. With Adam you couldn't even tell the song changed, it all sounds the same. He always does that "wahhhhhh" screaming thing, in every single song. You can basically predict how the song will sound each week. Horrible. He butchered two good songs. I don't know who is sucking this guy off more, the judges or the people voting.

Oh and I get a huge kick out of all the teenage girls screaming and wooing for him. He is CLEARLY gay as anything girls. He doesn't like you. Idol is so clearly fixed. The judges have picked who they want to win already and thats that. I hope Adam wins and they spend a ton of money on trying to promote him. I'll be laughing non-stop when his sales bottom out quicker than any idol winner in the past and he disappears.

May 13 2009 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Someone should tell Adam that KISS has already been done. He should keep his tongue in his mouth.....preferably a CLOSED mouth!!

May 13 2009 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply