December 20, 2014

Fringe: There's More Than One of Everything (season finale)

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 13th 2009 8:27AM
Fringe: Leonard Nimoy as William Bell
(S01E20) Oh my. I wondered how they would wrap things up (or not wrap things up) in the season finale, and they definitely delivered the goods. It's no big shocker that we're dealing with an alternate reality; most of us probably saw that coming. But there was that one moment that made me gasp.

We knew Walter had done experiments on Peter when he was a kid, but it never occurred to me that Peter might have died -- or maybe it was just buried in the deep recesses of my brain. When Walter visited the graveyard, I fully expected to see his wife's name on that gravestone. Instead, we saw Peter's.

Walter said he wanted to go into the alternate reality to retrieve something that he'd lost ... something precious. Was he talking about Peter? If so, that would mean he already DID go into the alternative reality and brought back the "other" Peter. But I kept thinking he hadn't yet.Then again, Walter's memory isn't so good lately. He may have gone there at some point and forgotten about the experience.

I appreciated the rounding up of Nina Sharp, David Robert Jones, and The Observer. It was good to see them brought back into the picture with the alternate-reality thread running through all of their stories.

For some reason, it was a little disappointing that Jones was doing all of this out of revenge towards William Bell. Kind of grisly, though, when he and the kid got sliced in two from the alternate reality portal. I kept thinking that Olivia would follow Jones in there during that scene in the field. She ended up there anyway, though. That was some elevator ride.

Other stuff:

Loved the conversation about where Walter might be after he'd gone missing. Astrid: "I'm gonna check the cafeteria to see if he slept there again." Peter: "Or the marine biology lab, where he sometimes spends the night cleaning out the tanks with Mrs. Erickson."

I'd like to know where they filmed the graveyard scene. It was a beautiful little place.

John Noble deserves an Emmy for his performance in this episode. Between going crazy at the beach house and being soulful at the graveyard, it was really a brilliant performance. Just brilliant.

Broyles to Olivia when the Massive Dynamic team was working on Nina Sharp's robotic arm: "The procedure doesn't fall under any HMOs."

So ... you can communicate electronically from one reality to another? That's how Nina said Bell was communicating with her. That's some powerful wifi.

So ... that's what people see when they do LSD. An alternate universe!

Were those the Twin Towers at the end? Was Olivia inside one of them with William Bell?

The Observer to Walter on the beach: "I have said too much. I'm not supposed to get involved. I've taken you as far as I can."

Walter to Olivia, when she asks what he's doing in the field: "We're trying to plug a hole in the universe. What are you doing here?"

Walter, in his note to Peter: "I'm stepping out for a bit. Don't worry about me, son. I know where I'm going."

Overall, excellent episode, and I'm looking forward to next season already. What did you guys think of this episode?

Isabelle Carreau

I haven't read every reply. Just a note about Olivia moving from a restaurant on the 25th floor to the twin towers. Maybe places/buildings/whatever in this alternate are a few kilometers from where they are in the reality she came from?

This was a great finale. Being the huge fan of 'Sliders' that I was, I'm thrilled with all the alternate worlds possibilities.

May 25 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snows

The grave is in the other universe. Astrid said that Walter use to get lost several times...and he used LSD to travel between the dimensions. So, he took death Peter into the other world and bring back here the second son. I think that both, Bell and Bishop are able to cross when they want.

May 24 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

The Massive Dynamics building is one of the new World Trade Center buildings... 7 WTC I believe. So I thought it was an awesome touch that Olivia met William Bell in the old World Trade Center.

I love the NYC touches, why is the show moving to Vancouver next year?

May 17 2009 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Think I got the answer to when the universe shift took place.

I agree with a prior commenter who said the shift from one universe to another didn't happen in the elevator, but on the car ride. When Olivia was driving through the streets of New York, another car nearly slammed into her and she had to swerve. And I wondered why they put that in there. And then I realized. It's because that's where she passed from one universe to the other, suddenly appearing in front of that driver.

Since the WTC no longer exists in our universe, they could not get her to the top of the alternate WTC with a direct spot to spot universe transfer, so the alt universe transfer had to happen on the street. Once she was in the elevator, then she was transported from one spot in the alternate universe to the top of the alt WTC.

Sorry if someone already said this. I haven't read all the comments.

May 16 2009 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rich's comment
hugeliver

I like this idea, but would she not have noticed some of the changed landscape from the window of the restaurant?
And what was with the extra people flashing in the elevator?

May 19 2009 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie51

Perhaps Walter had to travel to the alt universe to save Peter's life there so he could bring him back to his world. It's really nice to see a few good male role models instead of the usual idiot dads on tv. Walter's made a lot of mistakes, but he's trying to make up for them and it's obvious he and Peter love each other. Loved the finale and can't wait for next season.

May 15 2009 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

Nice Epi.. just caught on DVR.. On Pete's grave it said he died at 7 years old (I could be wrong).. that would mean Walter went into the alternate reality and took Peter when he was relatively old.

I wonder if certain memories Pete has of his father are really from the alternate reality Walter. Pete did say he remembered Walter being alot bigger back then.. that could be because he was a child OR that wasn't the Walter we know but alternate reality Walter who is a bodybuilder! he. he.

it seems whenever we are about to get some answers the damn guy dies..

I was happy when someone else fired a gun it seemed this season Olivia was the only one who had clearance to do so.
Agreed the whole WTC in an alternate reality was played. It would have been better if Olivia flashed into a decapitated Lady Liberty Head on the beach. or maybe not..Was there any significance to the people on the elevator when Olivia passed to Bell's reality?

Geez! I love the concept of alternate realities.. I always wanted another season of Sliders (whispered*)!

May 15 2009 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I never really saw the beginning episodes of fringe, but I did watch the finale and I thought is was pretty dang cool. I was at home by myself listening to Linkin Park, (the song was called "By Myself" if you believe in coincidences) when I walked into another room and saw what was on the TV. Just like that, I was hooked and I watched the finale. So awesome how that karma works like that.

May 15 2009 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Milk Ink

I absolutly agree on John Noble performance in that episode. He work has become brilliant over the course of the season.

I did have a feeling Peter had died. I recalled a previous episode were Walter had mentioned a lake accident. He confessed that he couldn't save couldn't save Peter.

Peter reassured Walter that he did and due to his memory he was mistaken. So up till this point I thought Peter was a clone. It does make sense why his mother went crazy. All the while Peter blaming his father for her metal determination. Her son dies, Walter replaces him and she can't seem to readjust and accept this.

May 14 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xaul

Wow! what an awesome season finale!

Now Fringe is taking its own direction (or directions) with these twists and I love it!

Anyone else got the Alias sense when William Bell appeared all shady and said "I have waited a long time for this"? It was a clear homage to Irina Derevko showing all shady saying: "I have waited almost 30 years for this" at the end of Alias Season 1.

May 13 2009 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Great comments! I don't see a release date for Fringe S1 on DVD, but it's listed on Amazon for pre-order.

Love the idea of *our universe actually being the alternative one - and who's to say which is real? The one you're in is the real one. It's a real mind-twister!

It also explains Olivia *seeing John Scott after he'd died. Remember when he was giving her all of these clues, but then he would disappear. Maybe the other John Scott found a way to go back and forth between the two. But his body from this one was being held at Massive Dynamic. Do we know what happened to it? Is it still there? Maybe they're doing experiments on the near-identical people in the two different universes.

Definitely a lot to think about. I'll write another post with all of your theories and observations. That'll be fun!

May 13 2009 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply