July 23, 2014

ABC airs new Flash Forward promo

by Mike Moody, posted May 14th 2009 4:36PM
Fans of Lost got a sneak peek at ABC's upcoming sci-fi drama Flash Forward during last night's season finale. The show is based on a Robert J. Sawyer novel where everyone is knocked unconscious for a few minutes and sees a vision of the future. The show has a great cast, including Joseph Fiennes, Courtney B. Vance, and Star Trek's John Cho, and an intriguing premise.

ABC's new promo tells us ... well, nothing really, other than the basic plot of the show. We do get a glimpse of what looks like Joseph Fiennes running around in a post-apocalyptic city, which I'm guessing is part of his "flash forward."

Mostly, I think this promo wants to remind us of how much we all loved The Dark Knight and that Dark Knight screenwriter David S. Goyer co-wrote and directed the show's pilot.

After Batman Begins, which Goyer also wrote, I used to get excited when I saw his name on a project. But the guy has produced a lot of crap (Jumper, The Unborn, Ghost Rider) for the big screen. Luckily, his TV track record is a little better. I actually enjoyed Blade: The Series, which Goyer produced after his Blade Trinity tanked in theaters. I was also a fan of the sci-fi procedural Threshold, Goyer's previous collaboration with Flash Forward co-writer Brannon Braga.

It's hard to judge the quality of Flash Forward by this 30-second preview, but I'll be watching when it hits the air in the fall.

Damir Secki

yeah...can't wait either

June 20 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Looks interesting. Can't wait.

May 15 2009 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AnneLaurie

I'm guessing that '2 min 17 secs' is more than enough to give a busy city highway the "post-apocalyptic" look. When all the drivers pass out, every car becomes an unguided missle, with the ensuing chaos depending on how many had enough clearance to produce those dramatic smoke plumes. Quite a few drivers, passengers, and unlucky pedestrians would never wake up from their Flash Forward nap, and some of the ones who did would be hanging upside-down surrounded by broken glass.

May 14 2009 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to AnneLaurie's comment
Richard Espy

Agreed. Not to mention the surgeons, pilots, etc. I expected to see all the surfers drowned on the beach.

May 14 2009 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
unsquare

Yep. That's what happens in the book and is actually one of the coolest parts of the premise... the very act of everyone on earth blacking out while they see the future causes widespread destruction.

May 14 2009 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

This looks interesting, but why oh why can't English actors use their accents? It's dead sexy when they do! And I loved Threshold, so I'll definitely have this on my DVR.

May 14 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

can't wait for this

May 14 2009 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

I'll give it a small chance if only because of my recent discovery of Robert J. Sawyer. I haven't read Flashforward but I might just put it on my summer reading list now.

I can't say I could handle a new LOST-like series at the same time as LOST. My brain can only explode so much so often.

May 14 2009 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply