American Idol: 1 of 3 goes home

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 14th 2009 12:22AM
American Idol - 1 of 3 goes home
It's getting down to the wire, and all three of the remaining contestants are certainly talented enough to be crowned the next American Idol. While I've been an Adam Lambert fan all along, I'd be fine with whomever wins this season.

Things start off tonight with the Ford commercial, kind of a fun little cartoon-oriented ad with Adam, Danny and Kris singing "Break My Stride." It must be really fun to see yourself as a cartoon/comic book character.

American Idol' Show Photos

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Danny Gokey performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Matt Giraud performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Allison Iraheta performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Adam Lambert performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Anoop Desai performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Danny Gokey performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Kris Allen performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Matt Giraud performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Adam Lambert performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Allison Iraheta performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

Then Alicia Keys came onstage as the global ambassador for Keep a Child Alive, an organization that helps kids living with AIDS and HIV in Africa. She introduced a kid from Rwanda who sang the song "I'm the World's Greatest." He'd learned the song in English in one week, and seemed like he was having a blast jumping around the stage and shaking the judges' hands. He seemed to have no stage fright whatsoever.

Then we got to go home with each of the Idols to hoards of screaming fans, cheerleaders, radio interviews, and emotional reunions with friends and family. Danny went back to Milwaukee and re-connected with his friend Jamar, who auditioned for Idol with him. Kris went back to Conway, Arkansas, and learned he'd get free cheese dip for life at one of his favorite restaurants.

And Adam returned to San Diego to one fan who took her top off and tried to storm the stage. It's all mad-world freaky, and even Adam says, "This is nuts." It was sweet, though, how he went back to a theater group where he performed as a child, and gave the kids there some advice. "It meant a lot to me," he said. "A big full-circle moment."

Jordin Sparks sang "Battlefield," a new tune from her upcoming album. It's kind of an edgy song, and she looks fantastic, but also like she might beat someone up.

Katy Perry sang "Waking Up in Vegas," and it's an ok song, though not one of my favorites of hers. It was hard to pay attention to the song, because she came out wearing this Elvis-inspired white bathing-suit type outfit, including a cape with "Adam Lambert" inscribed on the back. My daughter and I looked at each other and said, hmmm, that doesn't seem right. Where's the love for Danny and Kris? Maybe she paid homage to them, too, and I missed it.

Finally, the results. Ryan said the first person competing in next week's finale is Kris. His parents wept, while Danny and Adam hugged him. For a minute there. I wondered if we'd have a Kris-Danny showdown, but then Ryan said Adam was the other Idol who'd be back next week. Danny is going home.

That's probably a good choice. Danny is a fantastic singer, but hasn't been as consistently as good as Kris. Next week we'll have a two-part season finale on Tuesday and Wednesday. In the meantime, which Idol do you think will take it all?

Who should win American Idol?
Kris Allen721 (46.2%)
Adam Lambert840 (53.8%)

gillygirl

as well he should be!

May 14 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to gillygirl's comment
gillygirl

my post didn't reply to the post i meant it for. it was in reply to Adam being a new lead for Queen

May 14 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gillygirl

having trouble with reply posts. this one was meant for the comment about Adam being great as a new front man for Queen

May 14 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

With all due respect to Danny, who is a good singer and seems like a good person, the voters got it right last night. Kris has given the most consistently excellent performances over the past few weeks and deserves to be in the final. Kris gave two very good performances Tuesday, and for once, even outshined Adam. Adam should win. His talent is on a whole different level than the other contestants this year, or most any year , if you ask me. However, Kris has been so good for so long, without the benefit of being featured at the beginning like Danny or Lil or some of the others, that if he were to win it wouldnt feel like a huge injustice. Make no mistake, Adam is by far the most talented contestant, and in my opinion the best and most talented I have seen on AI in all the years I have been watching it. Judging purely on talent, showmanship, charisma and being an all around terrific entertainer, Adam is the clear winner by a mile. But weird things happen when people vote, so if Kris were to pull the upset, he is such a decent and talented person that I wouldn't begrudge him the title.
I thought Jordin Sparks and Katy Perry both sounded horrible last night and I also thought it was a little odd and mildly inappropriate that she was allowed to show support for one contestant over the others by having Adams name on the back of her cape.
One last observation about the "Homecoming" festivities for each of the final three contestants. These events are highly organized media events coordinated by American Idol, complete with product placement and appearances of each contestant on the local Fox affiliate news show. Whoever the final three are, they will receive this treatment. They are not spontaneous shows of love and support. Even so, it is easy to understand how the individual contestants would be so overwhelmed by all the attention and hoopla. But the point I want to make is that these three contestants all appeared to realize that these events were a consequence of the American Idol publicity machine and that they were the latest cogs in that machine. As much as I am sure they appreciated the support, sincere support it seems, none of them appeared to seem egotistical about it. They knew it wasnt all about them, despite the appearance that it was. I think that speaks well for the character of Danny, Adam and Kris.

May 14 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

I agree that most Adam haters are narrow-minded, but not over the gay issue per se. They are just narrow-minded about anyone who doesn't fit the official mainstream stereotype of behavior and appearance (a stereotype Chris is the poster-boy for).

I'm so glad America got it right and we don't have to watch more spazzy, boring, off-pitch performances from "Taylor Hicks II".

May 14 2009 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkny

Danny is a very good singer who would have won in previous seasons but AI has evolved or digressed depending on your POV to much more than a singing competition. I hope Kris wins. I think between him and Adam he not only has a chance to be a more successful recording artist but I find him to be much more REAL and sincere. I know I'm beating this dead horse twice a week every week but I can't stand Adams theatrics. He's like Meatloaf meets Kiss and that is a scary combination. So America you elected Bush twice, purchased homes you couldn't afford and have even made Beverly Hills Chihuahua the #1 movie at the box office... so I'm sure Adam will win but that doesn't make it a good idea.

May 14 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dkny's comment
Dan

Danny was terrible, and his inability to sing on key was the reason why he didn't win. He deserved to go months ago, when they were still in the top 36, and his friend Jamar was a lot better than he was.

Katy Perry is so untalented. Her "talent" consists of ridiculous, over-the-top, pinup-girl style outfits, glammed out makeup, wide-open eyes, and lap dance techniques. Oh yeah, and singing about being a slut. How anyone can like her, or Lady Ga-Ga, is beyond me.

But then again, I don't get how people can be so tone-deaf to think that Gokey was actually on key at any point this season.

May 14 2009 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julia

You can't possibly say that Kris is more real than Adam. I assume that you don't know either of them personally. Having a clean-cut look does not make someone more sincere. Good idea? What an odd choice of words. What does that even mean? I like Kris, but I don't want to be lulled to sleep when I turn on the radio. I think Adam as the American idol is a great idea.

May 16 2009 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Not an Adam fan

Welcome to "Pimp my Idol!"
It wasn't bad enough for Simon to openly pander for votes for Adam, but now the guest performer has Adam's name embroidered on the back of her Elvis cape!!!
How long ago did the judges decide who they were going to pick to win. Really, think about it, they have been pimpin' him from the beginning. Why do you think he always got to sing last and get the last impression before everyone votes?
Do you really think Adam was in the bottom 2 before? It was just a ratings trick and to get more votes for Adam.
Is anyone really going to be surprised when Adam wins and the girls begin to cry as they place the tierra on his head, they place the sash over his shoulder, hand him a bouquet of flowers and he starts to walk down the runway?

May 14 2009 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I've been a Danny fan since day one. But even I have to say that based on this weeks performances, the voters were right. Kris really stepped it up this week and got rewarded for it. I'd really like to see him win. Not to take anything way from Adam, he has an incredible voice, just think he's a little over the top. He doesn't need to scream with a voice like that. I'd like to see him get through one song without screaming once.

May 14 2009 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bill's comment
Julia

Mad World...Tracks of My Tears...no screaming involved.

May 16 2009 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Nice to see that out of about 15 or so performances, you were able to pick a whole 2 where he didn't scream. Awesome.

May 17 2009 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis phillips

kris will win...adam will be the next freddy mercury..queen's looking for a new lead singer

May 14 2009 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dennis phillips's comment
Scott

Spoken like an inbred homophobe.

May 14 2009 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s2104ok

Let me put on my Frank Luntz hat and figure out the winner....if only one million votes separated Adam and Kris, the Gokey votes will overwhelmingly go towards Kris. Kris and Gokey are more similar in 'style'. Kris Allen your 2009 American Idol...he killed Heartless.

May 14 2009 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

Let's hope all of Gokey's fans give their votes to Kris.

May 14 2009 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to SadOldMan's comment
Julia

You really are sad...old man. They should vote for Kris if they think he has more talent., not to sabotage Adam. What a lousy attitude.

May 16 2009 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

Excuse me Karen? The fact that you accuse those of us who don't enjoy Adam's singing of really secretly being narrow minded and homophobic is about the most idiotic comment I've read on TV Squad in a loooong time.

In fact, your poorly disguised attempt to intimate that "we" who are not fans of Adam are intolerant, actually exposed your own intolerance. Ironic isn't it. I'll never understand why people can't just simply have different tastes and beliefs without being accused of intolerance in some way. Human beings are not all clones for goodness sakes.

This might come as a surprise to you Karen, but on of my dear friends who also happens to be gay, doesn't like Adam's singing either, and is rooting for Kris. Hmmm kinda messes up your narrow minded intolerant theory now doesn't it. LOL!

May 14 2009 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply