October 25, 2014

Jane After Dark: What should Jane watch next?

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 14th 2009 5:02PM
Firefly DVDIf you've been following my Jane After Dark adventures, you know it's all about the DVDs I watch into the wee hours while I'm covering the TV Squad queue and everyone else (at least in my house) is sleeping.

I've finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm nearly done with Angel. I'll post this weekend about season five of Angel. You guys are absolutely right. It's awesome TV.

After that, I need you to help me choose my next Jane After Dark series. There are so many great TV shows on DVD, and frankly, I'm stumped at what to watch next. So please vote in my poll below, and tell me what to do! And if you don't see your series listed, tell me in the comments, and I'll add it to the list next time.

Which DVD series should Jane watch next?
Firefly867 (43.1%)
Roswell76 (3.8%)
Veronica Mars385 (19.2%)
The Wire260 (12.9%)
The Shield123 (6.1%)
Dexter299 (14.9%)

harley.copping

V mars is a fantastic show but may I suggest something that was the breeding ground for some of todays best actors/writers.......... Freaks and Geeks.

May 28 2009 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

And yes! Supernatural! And all the other great suggestions you guys made. Too many great TV shows, not enough time.

May 20 2009 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Wow, these are all great comments and suggestions. Ok, looks like Firefly is up next. Here's how the votes shake out at this writing:

Firefly: 802
Roswell: 64
Veronica Mars: 339
The Wire: 229
The Shield: 93
Dexter: 237

I've already watched the first ep of Firefly and, Haunt, you're absolutely right. I'm NOT disappointed! Can't wait to watch more.

Battlestar Galactica is definitely on my list. I know it'll probably be some heavy-duty DVD watching that will last a good long while, so I'm building myself up for it.

Same with Alias and Lost. I haven't watched either of these straight all the way through. Maybe I'll do Alias soon, and wait for Lost to end its run before jumping into it full steam.

I cried my way through Six Feet Under last year. Awesome TV show. Probably one of my favorite TV shows of all time. But ... there's the crying thing...!

I've watched S1 of Arrested Development and need to get back into it. I'd also like to revisit The Sopranos at some point. I really think that's one of the best TV shows ever.

Ok, stay tuned! I'll post my first Firefly notes this weekend. The train episode is up next. :-)

May 19 2009 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janine Adams

I voted for The Wire. If you haven't seen it yet, it's just plain amazing television. I've watched all the seasons on DVD and want to watch the whole thing through again. The final season was about the most cynical thing I've ever seen on TV. Loved it.

May 16 2009 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Romain

Firefly and Veronica Mars should be the first two, then Dexter.

I'd say go for VM first, unlike Firefly, it won't age that well. And it's a (very) nice break from whedon.
Season 1&2 are the best (unlike most, i kind of like the second better than the first), season 3 was a failed attempt to renew the concept for a larger audience: disappointing but still worth watching.

May 16 2009 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicol Leoraine

I voted for Firefly, but here are few of my other favs:

Doctor Who
Eureka
Castle
The Listener
Futurama
Tripping the Rift
The Unusuals

May 15 2009 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey D

I voted for Roswell. Since you are coming out of Angel, which is pretty dark and disconnected overall compared to the emotional roller coaster that is Buffy, I think your prepared for the roller coaster of Roswell. Shiri Appleby and Jason Behr play the intense love story that is on par with Buffy/Angel, Jim/Pam, etc. If not Roswell, I say go far Veronica Mars.

May 15 2009 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

Hey, Good poll, believe me. Im the tv show king! I have so many box sets of tv shows your head would probably explode. After buffy and angel I watched Veronica mars, its got alison hanigan & charisma capenter in it which play quite significant roles, and its smart and elaborate story lines are well thout out and enthrawling. Alias also is a great one if you love seeing empowered women kick ass all over your tv screen=] It also has amy acker from angel in the fifth season and the show is eventfull and full of twists that will keep you guessing well into those nights. Oh and finally Roswell, if you like love stories I seriously recomend it, it also has darla from buffy & angel and ford from "lie to me' (season 2 of buffy) as one of the leading characters. That should keep you gong for a while, trust me. There great shows=]

May 15 2009 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dylan Raife

Wow everyone in these comments has such good taste in television. Aka, my taste in television. IF only everyone was like this and we'd be enjoying the fifth season of firefly right now and the fifth season of VM instead of the Fatchelor, Deal or No Deal, and Dancing with the Stars.

May 15 2009 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oz

I voted for Roswell, because judging from what you liked about Buffy, you'll probably like Roswell too. It's not as good as Buffy, and not particularly well-acted. And the other shows on the poll are much better. But Roswell's quite enjoyable and worth watching (well, the first season anyway).

May 15 2009 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply