August 1, 2014

Neil Patrick Harris to host the Tony Awards

by Annie Wu, posted May 14th 2009 8:33PM
Neil Patrick HarrisLadies and gentlemen alike know that Neil Patrick Harris has got it all: Perfect comedic timing, a hit show, old-fashioned song-and-dance skills, a ridiculously diverse audience, and a body built for suits. With such overwhelming levels of snazzy, is anyone surprised that NPH has been asked to host the 63rd Annual Tony Awards?

Some of the theater-literate out there may know that NPH has done his fair share of musicals onstage, from RENT to Sweeney Todd to Cabaret. Most of you are probably most aware of his Joss Whedon project, Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog, which provided us with endless joy (and by "endless", I mean "three installments' worth"). Regardless, NPH has the knowledge, the background and the charisma to pull this off.

I was trying to think of any areas in which I have doubts, to prevent this post from becoming a full-on "Yay NPH!" lovefest, but I really can't. This means my expectations are extra-high though, so NPH and the gang won't need to do very much to let me down. Don't break my heart the way the Seagull snub did!

The ceremony airs on CBS on June 7, 8 p.m.

miller980

How does this thing continue to get network air time? What percentage of the population has even seen any of these musicals/plays on Broadway?

May 15 2009 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to miller980's comment
Will

Really, Miller? This "thing"? Not nice, my friend.

I'm a total NPH fan and think he's certainly qualified to fill the hosting position; my only concern is that he's not yet a big enough name to draw in the viewers the Tonys so desperately need in order to stay on network television. It's difficult as it is to get people in the Midwest who may never set foot here in NYC to see a Broadway show to tune in and having an A-list star usually helps towards that goal. I do, however, think NPH will do a great job and make the community proud.

May 15 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emtae

"How does this thing continue to get network air time?"

Because it's the gay Super Bowl, and New York's gay mafia demands it.

The Oscars are often called that also, but the general audience is familiar with the movie titles. The Tonys are a niche audience and very regional.

May 15 2009 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tvsquad90069

Would be great if announcements like this were professionally proofread. The last sentence of the first paragraph should begin With such instead of Will such

May 14 2009 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manuel Reis

And you also have that Funny or Die video about the Proposition 8, with Jack Black, John C. Reilly, Sarah Chalke, among many many others!

NPH and Hugh Jackman should host the Oscars together...

May 14 2009 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply