October 25, 2014

A burning question about your TiVo that just might save your life (not really)

by Danny Gallagher, posted May 15th 2009 12:03PM
TiVo logoYour TV is filled with burning debates that demand a serious answer.

Could the Dick York "Darren" kick the ass of the Dick Sargent "Darren," or vice versa, and without Samantha's help? Could KITT beat the car from My Mother, the Car if Top Gear's James May was driving him? Does anyone watch The Cougar and if so, is TV Land holding them hostage?

So here's another flaming question to throw on the mystery pyre: do you actually let your TiVo play its trademark sound effects?

When I first found TiVo (or did my TiVo find me?), the bleeps and bloops felt like a cheese grater being rubbed on my ear drum. It seemed unnecessary to have a sound event for every single movement and button on the operations' menu. I'm not operating the launch codes for a NASA satellite launch. I'm just trying to schedule a recording of Growing Pains. That reminds me. I need to do a future post on the dangers of TiVoing drunk.

After awhile, something was missing. Moving through the multicolored TiVo menus seemed hollow and lonely. When I realized I actually missed the sound, it started to feel very creepy, like I had refused my TiVo's right to use the electronic vocal chords that the god of Radio Shack had given him. My TiVo was screaming to be heard. He would have cried if he had tear ducts. And yes, my TiVo is a him. No female TiVo would dare let me watch anything on the Spike network without demanding an eye test.

So I turned them back on, and the universe seemed whole again. So I asks ya. Do you operate your TiVo sound on or sound off? And if you're wondering why I'm asking, it's because May Sweeps is over and it's a slow news day. If you feel like complaining, go streak the set of the Glenn Beck show and create some news and then I'll listen.

How do you operate your TiVo?
(beep) (beep) With the sound effects on (ding)490 (74.6%)
(beep) (beep) With the sound effects off (beepboop)167 (25.4%)

Shaun

For some reason the sounds freaked out our dog, so we turned them off.

May 18 2009 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I totally have the sound effects on quiet. It doesn't have to be any louder than that.

May 16 2009 at 6:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Yeah, and I'm the nerd? Better than being a dbag, I guess.

May 15 2009 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
GL

Not mutually exclusive.

May 16 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Love the sounds, need the sounds! There are part of the TiVO experience.

May 15 2009 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
puffin

Turn em off! Nothing more annoying then clicks and dings blasting through my home theater when Im trying to find something watch.

May 15 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to puffin's comment
Unknownloser

Agree 100%!! I switched from Tivo to cable DVR, and they don't even have an option for annoying bloops and bleeps. If I want bloops and bleeps I will call up R2 D2.

May 15 2009 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

Sounds have always been on... It's the one thing I miss having the DirecTV HD DVR. No sounds! :-(

May 15 2009 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

Tivo sound on! It feels funky when it's off ...

May 15 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmbode

I love reading your column daily, this is my first commented post: As for the TIVO sounds, I too turned them off for awhile and ended up missing the sounds, so I too turned them back on, BUT there is a volume level for the sound effects I believe (Loud, Normal, Quiet) I have mine on quiet, where I can still hear it, but doesnt drown out everything.

May 15 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply