October 25, 2014

Dollhouse gets a second season!

by Brad Trechak, posted May 15th 2009 11:22PM
DollhouseRejoice, Whedonites! His latest television venture, Dollhouse, has been renewed by Fox for a second season of 13 episodes, thus proving the existence of God.

Seriously, I'm very happy about this news, particularly since it shows that Fox learns from its mistakes and doesn't simply rely on pure ratings (which is an unreliable and outdated system to begin with) to make business decisions. Did I think Season 1 was the best series ever produced? No. However, I trust in Joss and really liked the ending of Season 1. Sometimes it takes the man until the second season to really produce great television, Buffy being the prime example.

I do wonder where the show will go for a Season 2, although the possibilities are endless. The return of Alpha would be redundant. It's difficult to have character growth for Echo since her mind is wiped every week. I suppose we will find out next year.

Joanne

I completely take back every mean thing I said about Fox. I'm so happy right now. This was the only new show I have watched religiously in the past couple years and I loved every second of it. Thank you, thank you, thank you Fox.

May 18 2009 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pies

From all the shows I've seen, I think the S1 -> S2 transformation was the most exemplary in the case of Myth Busters. They took a good show and made it into a great show. It was like watching a butterfly hatch.

May 18 2009 at 5:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Dollhouse was okay. It's no Firefly, and I won't equate the cancellation of Dollhouse with the cancellation of Firefly. So I'm not all that excited about it coming back. I kinda felt the whole season that Joss's heart just wasn't in it, that he pretty much assumed it was only going to last one season. If this changes next season, then I'll cheer along with the fans. But at this moment, I'll join the call for TSCC to come back. Come on, Fox, do it. The new Terminator movie is coming out. It can just ride on those coat tails a little while longer.

May 17 2009 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fox Mulder

I loved S1... The final episodes were great.

I'm glad it's getting a second season :)

May 17 2009 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

We aren't out of the woods just yet. 13 episodes? Let's hope its not the next "Dark Angel" or "Pushing Daisies". My fear is that Fox will keep "DollHouse" on its friday night slot rather then testing it out on a Tuesday or Wednesday night to see the comparison. For those who say "DollHouse" doesn't deserve a second season, "DollHouse" has great potential to be a classic. "Buffy" didn't get really good till its second season, and "Angel" arguably didn't get really great till around season 3. What does that say about Whedon that he needs this time to build to greatness? Not sure, but greatness more often then not is achieved.

May 16 2009 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to divineparasite's comment
GerryofNorVA

Agreed, a half-season commitment is kind of tepid. It's not even clear they'll run the whole short-set either, prolly still a probationary series.

May 16 2009 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgar

TSCC better be coming back! Dollhouse is crap!

May 16 2009 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

Yay!

May 16 2009 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NVTanner

Yeah! More Dichen Lachman and I'm a happy man. of course Eliza is hot and the show meets my needs. I think it will get better over time and if FOX keeps it's nasty fingers out of the creation of future episodes.

May 16 2009 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

TSCC Fans, you got your second season.

Fangirls say Squee!

No seriously... I have been ODing on Firefly on hulu just hoping that Fox would renew this other Whedon nugget. And to say that Fox didn't learn anything from Firefly, I think would be a mistake. And look what someone mentioned before Buffy Season one was not so great.

May 16 2009 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

blah to this. Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles deserved the renew over this crap show.

May 16 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply