October 31, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: Now or Never (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 15th 2009 9:36AM

T.R. Knight and Chandra Wilson
(S05E24) "If you're not scared, you're not paying attention." - Bailey

I took a few hours off in between last night's two hour Grey's Anatomy finale. I knew it was going to be two posts since it was two episodes and so I sat and watched the first one, wrote it up, grabbed a few hours of sleep, and woke up trying to figure just what was going to happen in this episode before I watched it. Everything was so nicely set up (the first hour really could have served as a finale too) and once again, Grey's Anatomy caught us all off guard with what's arguably its biggest cliffhanger yet.

Izzie's out of surgery with her short term memory fried, George is joining the army and went home to spend his last day with his mother, and Meredith and Derek don't have time to get married. Lots of confusion, lots of stress, and things only got worse once a guy dragged by a bus, face and body completely mangled, got brought it.

The way it all played out, as gripping and heart-string tugging as it was, you have to admit - the drama did feel a little manufactured. Take Bailey. I was convinced without a doubt that she would take the pediatrics fellowship. Nope. Throw in the wrinkle of Tucker's "me or the job" ultimatum and Miranda is a single mom, back to working normal hours in general surgery - just like Webber always wanted anyway. The Tucker thing came out of nowhere and honestly, I don't see how Bailey going back to what she's been doing advances her character, or her career, at all.

As for the the relationships at Seattle Grace, most fared pretty well. Cristina and Owen made up, as did Callie and Arizona, and Mer and Der did get married - in the locker room, by themselves, with vows written on post-it notes. Hey, it's real if you want it to be. The only relationship that sort of got left with no resolution was Sloan and Lexie, but I'm guessing she'll still move in with him anyway.

As for George and Izzie? All season long, and even somewhat before that, there's been behind the scenes chatter that both Katherine Heigl and T.R. Knight wanted off the show - material wasn't good enough, my character isn't getting enough screen time, etc. Who knows how true any of it is, but it looks like the two of them may have gotten their wish. Although it is a cliffhanger, so who knows what's next.

Izzie's short term memory loss finally subsided only for her to slip into cardiac arrest as Alex and her made up. Maybe her sudden recovery was the onset of the symptoms to come? As everyone predicted, the DNR was ignored and Webber, Yang, and Bailey tried to bring her back.

The biggest reveal? George was the John Doe who got dragged by the bus. He saved a woman (this was the role that Kaley Cuoco turned down) by pushing her out of the way and took the hit instead. Didn't even have to go to Iraq to be a hero. By then, his injuries were so severe that during surgery, George began to flat-line as well while Derek operated on his brain.

So now comes the speculation - what did the final "dream" sequence mean? Izzie was decked out in her Seattle Grace prom dress from the season two finale and George was sporting his army duds with a new close-cropped haircut. Are they dead? Was that the afterlife? Or just some sort of holding ground, sort of like when Meredith "died" after the ferry-boat drowning debacle? Was there any significance to Izzie being on the elevator and George being off it? Anyone else got a good theory?

Gaby

One thing that's been really really really bothering me lately it's the story with Bailey's husband, am I the only one that remembers Tucker going out in a date with another woman? I really thought they're were over, and suddenly a couple of epised back Bailey tells Arizona something about a husband waiting in her house! WTF This storyline doesn't make much sense... I'm more tired of Bailey than of crazy Izzie having sex with dead-Denny actually. As for the other characters, I'm ok with them lol

the season ending was a shocker!!! I was one of the ones yelling at the TV "OMG It's George!!!". Can't wait until next season!!

May 23 2009 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AT

Why don't TV marriages ever require marriage licenses, unless the license is involved in hijinx?

"We wrote vows. We're married now." What a crock. Same thing bothered me about the Izzie-Alex marriage. (That, and the guests that would have been invited to M & D's wedding.)

Other than that, I really liked the finale.

May 20 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

I haven't read every comment yet, but I agree with what I've seen so far. George off the elevator in his Army uniform signifies he died a hero (TK Knight never waivered even once. He wanted off the show, no fuss no muss. He's gone folks.)

Izzie on the elevator in the prom dress I think represents her going to join Denny in the afterlife. If she steps off the elevator she will be making the decision to die.

BUT George's spirit will stop her from getting off--that's why he's there. It'll be the last heroic act he does (Izzie lives.)

May 19 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Why would they both have to be dead/dying to "know" that the other is.. ? I don't think they necessarily "know" or "don't know" anything.. They were close in life, I think it's completely believable that if just *one* of them were dying or gravely ill or injured that they'd have thoughts of the other, so it could be that simple. I also don't think it's such a stretch to think that "death/dying visions" could be just as unexplainable or illogical as, say, dreams are. I mean, I've dreamed of being in my underwear at school, but I've never actually BEEN in my underwear at school, and I don't think it's a vision of the future, either. ;-) So.. George *could* envision Izzy looking beautiful, or she *could* envision George in uniform. Hell, she could've just as easily pictured him in a schoolgirl uniform for that matter.

Logically speaking, within the show, I think Izzie has a chance of surviving, as Derek already pointed out that she had an "operable brain tumor" that they just operated(supposed successfully) on. George, however, was dragged by a bus and his skull was smashed(they said), so his chances look pretty grim to me. Given the current state of their conditions, I think it would be a lot harder to pull George back from a smashed skull, than jumpstart Izzie's heart after a *successful* surgery.

Logically speaking outside of the show, I've read the interview/comments from Shonda Rimes, and it sounds to me like she's failing to confirm that Katherine Heigl is leaving, but she's much more vague and neither confirms nor denies TR's status at all.

May 19 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alohamora

I disagree with many of the comments. I don't think the elevator has anything to do with anything really. The significance is Izzy in the dress, going to see Denny. Thats the same shot of her getting into the elevator that they have been using over and over again, the obviously can't have her going anywhere else, because they don't have film of it.
So, I don't think the "going up or down" really has anything to do with it. I think its more closely related to that in-between place Meredith went after she drowned. It had that same strange tint to the color and it was empty. She came back from that because she chose to, so now we have to see what Izzy and George are going to do.
I do think their outfits might give a clue though, because Izzy's wearing an outfit from the past, and George is wearing one he's never been seen in before, his is about the future.

May 18 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

Oh yeah, it was also funny that right before Yang told Meridith she's changed, my roommate asked "When did she become an actual likeable human being?"

May 17 2009 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

loved the ep! I realized right before Meridith did that it was George.

Anyway, my favorite part was the Sload/Lexie story. when Sloan said "I'm a better woman than you." I laughed hysterically, then rewinded & watched that scene again.

May 17 2009 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elle

I keep replaying the last few minutes of the show. Really awesome.
And yes, George totally looks hot on his uniform.

Can't wait for the next season!

May 16 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gwydiana

Kaley didn't turn down the role, she was forced to remove herself from consideration by CBS due to her current commitment to Big Bang Theory. Shame because she would have had a blast in that role!

May 16 2009 at 2:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

The final episode was great. If George and Izzie live or die depends on the actors coming back or not. Katherine will probably win another Emmy, she will probably insult somebody else, and the rest of us will go on with our boring lives, while the actors keep making millions and millions of dollars more than they already have.

May 15 2009 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply