September 2, 2014

Parks & Recreation: Rock Show (season finale)

by Jason Hughes, posted May 15th 2009 12:18PM
Parks and Recreation
(S01E06)
Ah, so that's how they're going to do it. While the pit was still the underlying thrust of the episode, the stories were more about the characters and relationships. And realizing even more what a big dumb sap Mark is. It's really more a testament of Leslie's own insecurities and issues that she's so hung up on him because he is even more lame than Tom. At least Tom is charismatic and charming, in his own creepy way. Mark is just creepy, a lot older than he seems to think and kind of a doofus.

Speaking of doofuses, Leslie was far less doofy this episode than we've seen her in the past. She tried to keep her pit-related agenda at the forefront in her ill-advised "date" (mothers, what are you gonna do?). She was genuine in her congratulations to Mark on his having accomplished the reduction of a speed bump by two inches. And in that she was right. While he saw it as a small thing, the point was that he was able to accomplish something that benefited the community, which is what government is supposed to do.

Mark was so lame tonight, that I was disappointed when Leslie got suckered into hanging out with him more. He was clearly just going to use her so that he wouldn't have to go home feeling completely rejected. Rejected primarily by Ann because he was stupid enough to hit on her literally right in front of her boyfriend, when Andy was on stage behind her performing.

As for Andy, Chris Pratt has been a guest star all season and I was wondering how they were going to write him out if he's not intended to be a main part of the cast. Keeping his casts on for two more weeks so Ann could serve him longer is definitely one way to accomplish it. I did love how he was completely honest about it with her. Andy is a good character because he's kind of a dick, but he's not a total ass as evidenced by the episode where he cleaned up the whole apartment.

Getting a chance to see the characters significant others was a treat, too. But why did I find myself doubting all episode that that was really Tom's wife. Ultimately, I think it might have been. When he was harassing Leslie's "date" about how his wife was his age, there was something sincere about that. And how about that. Tom's wife is hot! Here's a guy who's catting around town hitting on anything with a pair of breasts and he's got a beautiful wife at home who seemed nice as well.

Hey, how about that cliffhanger ending? Now we've had three cast members fall into the pit. And Leslie can take a spill better than either of the guys. It'll be interesting to see how injured Mark is next season, and how pissed Ann is at Andy. He's certainly not helping his case. She threw him out so she could think. He pounded on the door laughing about Mark falling into the pit and then when she ran to help he bounded into the apartment and parked it in front of the tube. That'll go over real well.

The good news is that this show might just work after all. The characters are developing, the relationships make sense. Even keeping Ann around as a friend to Leslie makes sense, especially after she presumably dumps Andy. Mark was right about that. Ann and Andy aren't a good fit, despite the Raggedy connection. What do you think?

kip

I for one hope Andy comes back, he has been the funniest character on the show. "Babe, while you're up, can you make me some pancakes real quick." And running naked down the street in crutches!

This show has gotten much better since the pilot and especially the 2nd episode, where Leslie seemed to have recycled Michael Scott lines in her talking head segments. She still has that feel sometimes, but the proportion seems to have gotten smaller.

It takes time for writers to figure out the characters. Go back and watch season 1 of *any* sitcom you like. The characters are *very* different from what they become over time.

May 21 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

P&R was boring in the beginning and I am still not a fan of it but I could see the show getting better.

But if I had my way I would kill off P&R and make the office 1 hour instead. This would allow the people on P&R to come on the Office but it might not work because of Rashida Jones. I hope I spelled her name right.

If worse came to worse every one could be some one new and not there P&R character. I just would love to see how the characters would act working together.

If they were not apart of dunder Mifflin you could do a think like the British Office and make the two offices hate each other and try to out do one another.

May 16 2009 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

Tom may be the least interesting character on TV. Other than him, the show seems to be coming together.

May 15 2009 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbl5102

NBC take note - only one comment for this renewed show, drop it and make room for Chuck!

May 15 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Barbl5102's comment
Paul

How would dropping a half-hour sitcom at all affect the renewal of Chuck?

Especially since it's most likely at this point that Chuck WILL be renewed. There's room for both, and I'll enjoy both next season.

May 15 2009 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

This was the strongest episode of the season in my mind. And for the first time it felt whole... I'm more and more liking P&R and am looking forward to season 2.
I still am comparing P&R to "The Office" and I am pretty sure they modeled Andy to be reminiscient of Roy. He is a douche, but at the same time you don't hate him because under all that douchiness is a guy who really loves his girl. He's just got a funny way of showing it...
What probably will happen is rivalry between Leslie and Ann for Mark. I am pretty sure that this episode was supposed to set up that Ann kinda likes Mark... She may have given him the cold shoulder at the concert, but that was mainly because she was mad. The way she rushed out of the house in the end of the episode was more than "I am worried in a professional sense". This rivalry will become interesting, since Ann and Leslie are becoming good friends...

May 15 2009 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Yme Sandelmann's comment
Dan

Definitely, I saw that too. It was a really good episode, and it reminds me of the first season of "The Office" where we weren't sure about it yet, but it was definitely building each episode.

Funniest moment of the episode was when Andy got his casts off and Ann's iPod was inside!

May 15 2009 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply