October 31, 2014

Primeval heading to the big screen, expanding on television

by Jason Hughes, posted May 15th 2009 11:03AM
PrimevalWhile the primary thrust of this Variety piece is that Warner Bros. has picked up ITV/BBC America's Primeval for film, the interesting part for fans of the show is that it's only part of an expansion effort of the property.

Apparently, managing director Jonathan Drake and co-creator Tim Haines are also pitching a series that would transplant the action beyond the UK. Perhaps that means a US-based Primeval spinoff could be coming. Primeval: SG-1?

It would be easy enough to do. Have the anomaly situation expand beyond the shores of the UK, and suddenly you need to set up splinter teams to deal with the exploding problem.

Sure it's still monsters all around, but there's a bigger story there they can sink their teeth into. Plus, as the anomalies occur from the past to the future, we can see more glimpses into those times perhaps, and get a fuller scope of the full future history of their world.

They've done a great job of creating a fantastic premise, so I'm happy to see them getting to expand their vision.

Scott K.

I really enjoy this show. The characters are good (normally) and the effects are interesting. I'll give a US version a shot, but considering how most of those fare, I won't be expecting too much.*

* By that, I am both referring to a tendency for US networks to drop shows too quickly and for the fact that most UK -> US converts don't retain their quality.

May 15 2009 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

'some of me'? Oy, what am I an Aussie....

May 15 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

I watched and really enjoyed the first season. I tried to get some of me sci-fi-friends into the show but something about the BBC turns a lot of Americans off. This is one of those shows that has tons of potential directions. They have touched on the past, the future, government conspiracy, and even changing history via time travel meddling.

I say bring on the American version!

May 15 2009 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

I've watched about nine episodes of the first season so far, and if it was a US TV series, that would be enough to kill it with fire.

I may continue to watch this via Netflix, but I keep asking myself why.

Listen folks, you can't have your team be Too Stupid To Live on a regular basis. It just doesn't work. Otherwise, it's a comedy.

May 15 2009 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginger

I am still mad at them for killing of a major character. It would be great to see an American version of this.

May 15 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply