April 23, 2014

Smallville: Doomsday (season finale)

by Brad Trechak, posted May 15th 2009 3:03AM
Jimmy Olsen R.I.P.(S08E22) Let me start with the obvious question: why is the middle name of the eldest Olsen boy the same as the first name of the youngest?

Obviously, the creators of Smallville wanted to create an unseen twist to the myth while at the same time giving a giant middle finger to the comic book geeks who are concerned that the show isn't following established continuity.

I'll give them points on the twist of having the elder Henry James Olsen not be the same James Bartholomew Olsen that later joins the Daily Planet (was the bowtie on the younger enough of a hint?). As much as I hate to admit this, it makes more sense for that because in the comics it is pretty well established that Clark and Jimmy have a far greater age difference than Clark and Henry James.

Actually, they got me twice: first, by revealing Clark's secret to Jimmy (I dug when Jimmy used the phrase "Super ... guy") and then by having Jimmy killed. Either situation would have rocked the Superman myth to its core had they not wussed out with the "older brother" ending.

I don't recall Edge City in the Superman or even DC Comics mythos. Has it been used in the comics?

Obviously, Cosmic Boy and the Legion of Super History Professors have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to Clark's death. Maybe Lois can teach them a thing or two now that she's stuck there.

I liked the callback to the previous episode when Tess mentioned Lois in a maid outfit. The all-too-brief girlfight was kind of disappointing in the age of Buffy. Still, that's probably what a girlfight would be more like in real life.

How the hell could Jimmy afford a Metropolis apartment that overlooks the city on a photographer (and then junkie's) salary? Wouldn't he have sold it to get some cash to buy drugs? I'm just saying.

I was kind of hoping for the fight between Clark and Doomsday to last longer since they've been building to it for the whole season. I guess they didn't have the CGI budget. At first I thought they were breaking the "no flights" rule at the end, then I realized it was just a super-leap. It's kind of ironic that ultimate psycho boyfriend Davis ended up being as much a monster as Doomsday.

By the way, Doomsday does still exist, albeit buried in concrete. I can see them hauling him out in the future and just saying the Legion got the date wrong.

Poor Chloe is a widow without ever being married. How can actresses cry on demand like that?

It was nice to see the Justice League together again, echoing the season premiere. Not much else to say about that.

Did I mention that I actually enjoyed tonight's finale? Sure, it still had the usual stomach-turning melodrama, but it had more action and some good twists, as well as a lot of slow-motion walking (new drinking game: whenever someone in Smallville walks away from someone else in slow motion, take a drink). I guess we know that Zor-El is the Big Bad for next season. See you then.

Yua

If I recall, when Clark got hit w/ black kryptonite the last time, he started wearing all black. I'm guessing that the CK we saw at the end was the "Eradicator"-like Clark; since Doomsday had black kryptonite embedded in his chest.

So... we'll see what happens in Sept.

June 06 2009 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joesocwork

Bleh! That was the worst season ending ever to what was one of the show's silliest seasons! The 5 minute Doomsday/CK finale & Jimmy/Not Jimmy were just the most blatant. Like other commenters suggested, I think the writers got lazy this year and forgot about going back to make sure that characters and plotlines stayed consistent. They don't have to worry about writing themselves into corners, they just pretend what happened earlier never even existed! And that's too bad, b/c what I always had loved about the show was the anticipation of the growth of the characters. The finale just showed the characters don't have to develop, they just have to fit in with whatever cliched plotline they want to interject for that week!

May 22 2009 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drew

She lost her power when she had brainiacs powers taken.

May 16 2009 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drew

As crazy as this sounds. Think about it. Clark was not acting himself. I wouldn't be surprised if Doomsday took over Clarks body like he did with Davis. That would really suck because that would mean they copied one of their previous season finale's. ha ha ha

May 16 2009 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Drew's comment
Tim

Did no one notice that Clark was wearing PURPLE at the funeral? Black suit, purple shirt. Still wearing it when he faded away.

The drape under Jimmy's coffin was a shade of purple, along with green on the coffin's handles.

Visual clues to bad guys everywhere, people!

May 20 2009 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Singer

So, I guess this means that Aaron and Sam will be looking for work this fall, eh?

May 16 2009 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EvyBaby

I kinda like the finale. Am I the only one that was waiting for Chloe to heal Jimmy? Did I miss the episode where she lost her healing powers? She healed both Lois and Clark to save their lives, she couldn't do it to save her husband? I also get why the fight had tobe so short between Clark and Doomsday. Clark is no match for him and Doomsday kills Superman. Clearly the fight had to be short or Clark would have died. Was anyone else wondering why Lana didn't come to the rescue with her super skin? Or where was his cousin Kara? She may have been able to lend a hand. And I agree with Adam, Clark should learn how to fly next season, and shouldn't actually turn into Superman, cape, tights and all, until the end of the series finale. Anyone else hear that they want Tom Welling to play Superman in the next movie? That would be a perfect follow up to the series finale!

May 16 2009 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bella

Small point, Chloe and Jimmy did actually get married, because they also got divorced. The wedding was interrupted after the actual ceremony and in the episode "Hex" Chloe talks about being a divorce to Oliver. It's a little strange that Jimmy's family didn't know her but that was also explained when Jimmy told Chloe that he was embarrassed by them or something.

I've been watching the show from the beginning and am a fan. That being said, this finale was not one of the better episdoes of Smallville. The show basically messed up the whole second half of this season. It felt to me like they really wanted to do a Doomsday storyline and they wanted to do the Doomsday storyline that they wanted to do. But instead of working it in with the characters and situations they already had they twisted thier characters to fit the story.

Everyone's character was off the last few episodes, Chloe and Oliver and Jimmy especially just so that it could fit within thier Doomsday world.

I was disappointed with the whole thing from the completely unbelievable Davis/Chloe storyline to the Jimmy turns Junkie then suddenly he's clean and working for Oliver. Smallville always does this to itself though. It seems like it builds and builds a story up and then right in the middle realizes that they oh crap, they have to have some sort of resolution to this.

With Doomsday they just kept going, making him invulnerable to everythign imaginable and writing themselves in a corner until the only lame solution they could come up with was to stick him in a hole.

May 16 2009 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin Williams

Chloe walks up the little kid and says , "You must be Jimmy's little brother." Her and Jimmy were going to be married and they never met? Not once. I mean, the family made it to their sons funeral, you think they could make it to his wedding and meet his bride.

May 15 2009 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jingcheng

I am pretty sure that the new villain is Zod and not Zor-El.

May 15 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argent

edge city has been used in some previous smallville episodes and i think it's a smallville-only creation (no ties to the comics.)

May 15 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply