November 20, 2014

Survivor: The Martyr Approach

by Jackie Schnoop, posted May 15th 2009 2:10AM
Stephen from Survivor Tocantins

(S18E13) We're getting down to the wire for this season of Survivor. The big three-hour finale and reunion show airs this coming Sunday. Of the five going into tonight's show, I think I would have only predicted JT be there at the beginning of the season. Stephen, the intellectual kind of nerdy guy? No way did I think he'd make it this far. Erinn was targeted early on. Taj, the best eye-roller since Eliza, is playing a delightfully sneaky game. Then there's the loon -- Coach. Sigh.

It's all about Coach
First, I'm glad that in other seasons when there have been doctors and dentists on the show, they haven't insisted on being called "Doc." His name is Ben. I actually like the character of Ben on Lost more than I like the character of this guy. With one really sexist comment tonight at Tribal Council, he proved himself inappropriate to be coaching women's soccer. Oh, wait. He got fired for that already. Maybe the women gathered together and stoned him with pebbles.

The Little Lord Fauntleroy shorts-wearing, argyle sock knee-hi's donning, silly ponytail sporting warrior of delusion will no longer taint my television with his wacky ways. Dragon Slayer, my butt. Tonight, I suppose fitting for his last night, it was The All Coach Show. Had he not been voted out at the end (thank you, Stephen), I probably would have nightmares. Instead, I'll be lilting to the Sugar Plum Fairy. Hmmm ... maybe not. Coach reminds me of the Sugar Plum Fairy. Let's just leave it at I'll sleep well.

Erinn almost blew it
Why the heck couldn't Erinn keep her mouth shut? Sure, we all know that Ben would be the martyr heading off to Exile Island and ready to use the weakness excuse when he lost immunity. But there's no need to alienate the others by attacking him. JT was already feeling bad enough about his decision to send him there. Erinn should have just pulled a TAJ -- a giant eye-roll to the nearest camera. Erinn's lucky Stephen wanted Coach out more.

Looking at the final four
It's likely going to be an ex-Jalapao final three. There's no way that Stephen and JT would keep Erinn over their original ally. If memory serves, this is the first time a tribe coming into the merge so far behind has taken such control over the game. While Stephen and JT will probably continue to hold the power, it's not impossible for Erinn or Taj to win immunity and flip it. If Erinn happened to win, she's closer to Taj than the guys. This could be interesting.

Thinking ahead to the finale, I'd be happiest if one of the ex-Jalapao won. I'm preferring Stephen or Taj for the big win, but JT would be fine, too. If Erinn makes it to the final two, I don't think she'd have the jury vote over any of the other three. Second place is the best she can do.

I'm just so thrilled the loon is gone. Now he's the jury's problem child. I loved their reactions to his poem, didn't you? It's like they choreograph things ahead of time.

If Stephen and JT are the final two, who gets the jury vote?
Stephen98 (18.0%)
JT445 (82.0%)

GL

Coach. Nice going, dipshit. You know you can top anything you've said so far at the reunion show. Don't let us down, slayer.

May 15 2009 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I have one thing to say about this episode of Survivor:
Finally!!!!

May 15 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I thought JT to be a little wishy-washy in some of his decisions at times. As long as Errin goes next, I probably don't care which of the three win this, but Stephen or Taj would be my favored two, with Stephen out in front by a hair, if for no other reason than his vote got Coach out of there.

Coach is still being his delusional self at Ponderosa. The dragonslayer has been slayed. Bless you, Stephen!

May 15 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I think it was smart of JT to pull the I promised I won't vote for him card last night. By making Stephen be the one to vote out Coach, he now gets Coach's vote if he can make it to the final two.

May 15 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

If JT doesn't gain immunity in the next challenge he'll be gone. Stephen is a conniving little ass and you could see it on JT's face that he knew that those three will vote him out next. Taj is in Stephen's pocket. That's two, that's all he needs not to get voted off (Stephen) and Taj voted with Erinn this week so the two girls stick together as well. JT's on the chopping block and that's why he wanted Coach to stay in the game. He's the strongest contender winning the reward challenge AND the immunity challenge this week. He HAS to keep winning to make it to the final two (or three). Then he'll most likely win because he didn't double-cross anyone (compared to Stephen or Taj) and because he was a strong contender (compared to Taj and Erinn and maybe even Stephen - hehe... even Stephen... made myself laugh there)

Sunday's going to be interesting. I want TJ to win. He's played the strongest and most honest game of them all.

May 15 2009 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Watch out for Stephen. He had an alliance with Taj before JT and he might think it would be easier to beat Taj than JT. Dump JT now.

May 15 2009 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Probably the most egomaniacal buffoon to ever grace my screen. Still, had me in stitches most of the time, laughing at him. People with no redeeming qualities sometimes engender pity, but not Coach. He's flushed everything down the toilet; snickers will accompany him for the rest of his life. Goodbye!

May 15 2009 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

Coach Douche is so hated because he got much too much screen time. That being said, he is also quite inept as a contestant. In a word he is a "douchebag."

Cudos to Steven the "DragonSlayer Slayer"

May 15 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BobbyBuz's comment
Scott

Correction: Coach Douche was so hated because... he's such a Douchebag. Losers like him create delusions of grandeur about themselves to make their lives seem more interesting. They quote Shakespeare and Mark Twain, pretend to have studied historic battles for strategy, and claim "integrity" and "honesty" and "nobility" as the benchmarks of their character. It's all BS. My guess is he lives in a double-wide behind the Walgreens in rural Missouri. He's neither well read nor well travelled, because people who have those traits are generally secure enough in themselves that they don't feel the need to brag about what they've read or where they've been at every other breath. LOL

May 15 2009 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bcarter3

I guess Stephen can start calling himself "Dragonslayerslayer."

May 15 2009 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

I hope Survivor never focuses a season on one character again no matter how much Jeff thinks it's "good television" because it is not!The show is based on the whole group and no one person should get so much attention.I think it's unfortunate that the show turned to stereotypical television and took the easy route by putting coach in the forefront the whole season.There were times when I felt I didn't get the whole view of other parts of the situation because of so much time for coach.

As for who wins I think it will be JT unless somehow the threat element plus immunity fall in just the right places to send him out.Erinn is gone unless she gets saved.If she does then it's Taj.

May 15 2009 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply