July 24, 2014

CBS greenlights three new dramas for fall

by Allison Waldman, posted May 17th 2009 1:18PM
Alex MoonlightThis Wednesday, CBS will make its official announcement for the 2008-09 season, but word has already leaked out that there will be three new drama series in CBS's new schedule. The NCIS spinoff, which I would have nixed, is in there, as well as a Julianna Margulies show called The Good Wife, and an Alex O'Loughlin vehicle set in the medical field and dealing with organ donors called Three Rivers. The latter may not have the sex appeal of Moonlight, but how much you want to bet the O'Loughlin fans will be tuning in?

All three of these shows are one-hour dramas, so that means the rumors about Without A Trace, Cold Case and The Unit all being on the bubble were true. Cold Case had a strong finish with a two-parter that performed very well in the ratings, so it could be safe, but the other two are likely to be ending their runs.

Another iffy hour is Eleventh Hour. No word on whether this Jerry Bruckheimer show will get a second season, but the lack of chatter makes me suspect it's not coming back.

The Good Wife casts ER vet Julianna as a lawyer who's forced back to the work when her spouse is convicted and sent the prison. There are big name director/producers attached to The Good Wife, brothers Ridley and Tony Scott (Bladerunner and Spy Game, respectively), as well as David Zucker (A Walk in the Clouds). Who says clout doesn't matter in Hollywood?

Three Rivers has behind the camera, experienced producers, as well -- Carol Barbee and filmmaker Curtis Hanson (L.A. Confidential). Barbee's last CBS series were Swingtown and Jericho, two shows with cult followings that failed to find a wide audience. She should be perfectly paired with O'Loughlin, then, because his Moonlight series is stlll being mourned by some fans who never understood why it was canceled.

As for the NCIS spinoff, I'm not surprised by the pickup, but I am hoping that the subsequent series is better than the pilot.

MichaelC2B

I am so happy about Three Rivers. I look forward to TR and to WhiteOut and The Back-Up Plan, Alex's new movies to come out in 9/09 and 1/10.

May 19 2009 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sabine Atkins

I hope to see THREE RIVERS and Alex O'Loughlin as Dr. Andy Yablonski! In this wonderful and important series Alex O'Loughlin will show us again that he's charismatic and extremely talented in every role he chooses to play.

May 18 2009 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

I was recently in Las Vegas, and I saw the pilot for Three Rivers. I have to admit, I wasn't impressed. The story was slow, the characters were two-dimensional and cliched, and the bits of action and real drama we did get were interrupted by character development. Plus, how many stories can you really tell about organ transplant?

This show is doomed. It felt like a show trying to be like ER and House, but coming up way short. I liked Alex O'Laughlin in it, but other than him, the other characters were just annoying.

May 18 2009 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dottie

I am SICK at the prospect of CBS cancelling The Unit. I should have known when they stuck it on Sunday nights at 9pm, they were kissing it off. Too bad. It was one of the better dramas CBS had, a military drama with a touch of McGyver. Well, buh bye CBS, 'cuz except for the reality shows you offer me nothing.

May 18 2009 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anitalavenia

I hope CBS will pick up Three Rivers, and Alex O'Loughlin will be back on television!

May 17 2009 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Silvechex

Ok, I hope CBS gets it right and picks up 'Three Rivers'. I'll be tuning in because of Alex O'Loughlin. You are right about his Moonlight fans, we WILL be there...

May 17 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

One, maybe two of these posts really feel like they're corporate plants of some kind...

May 17 2009 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Radiant

I hope that CBS will officially approve Three Rivers for the 2009-2010 season, with Alex O'Loughlin portraying the leading role, Dr. Yablonski! I believe that Three Rivers will be a widely watched and successful medical drama for CBS!

May 17 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexandria

Ever since the cancellation of Moonlight, I refuse to watch ANYTHING CBS puts in that Friday 9pm time slot... I didn't watch Moonlight *just* for Alex O'Loughlin or Jason Dohring (to be honest, I had never heard of them before Moonlight), I didn't even watch because it was about vampires (before Moonlight, I had no real interest in vampires).

I watched Moonlight because it was an awesome show. It had a brilliant cast, brilliant scripts, awesome story lines... and it was a fresh new take on vampires. Usually vamps are the bad guys, it was cool to see the vamps as the good guys (although there were some bad vamps too... lol).

The only time I will watch CBS on Friday at 9pm is if they ever bring back Moonlight for a second season... until then I'll watch other programs and be satisfied with watching my Moonlight Season 1 on DVD.

May 17 2009 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sam

I am excited about the three rivers pick-up because of Katherine Moennig is also on the show. I have followed her since Young Americans. I never watched Moonlight but the actor looks cute and must be good with all the buzz about him.

May 17 2009 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply