October 26, 2014

It's official: Chuck is saved!

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 17th 2009 9:28PM
ChuckWell it looks like buying all of those $5 footlongs really paid off: Chuck has officially been renewed for a third season. The spy comedy hasn't always gotten the greatest ratings, in no small part because its highly-competitive Monday night timeslot, but fans all over the internet have been pushing hard for its renewal.

There has been a huge outpouring of support on Twitter, where #savechuck has often been a trending topic. Even the show's star, Zachary Levi, has done his part to get Chuck back for another season. In addition to taking to his official blog to plead his case, he even showed up at a Subway (one of Chuck's biggest sponsors) to make sandwiches for fans.

There is a slight downside to the good news, however. The deal that NBC came to with Warner Brothers, who owns the series, includes budget concessions and a shortened order: 13 episodes instead of the standard 22 or so. Michael Ausiello is even reporting that the budget cuts mean we could possibly lose a cast member. Regardless, it would have been easy for Chuck to fall into the same pit that scores of other series that debuted during the Writers' strike did, and not live to see a third season at all.

Even as a fan of the show, I'll admit that Chuck wasn't always at 100%. However, the last several episodes of the season, and especially the season finale, were some of the strongest of the series' two-year history. While the finale would have been an adequate series finale, I'm much more excited to see what Chuck has in store for us this year. After all, Chuck knows Kung-Fu!

I know we have a lot of Chuck fans out there, so is this decision enough to redeem NBC, or has it made too many stupid decision lately (*cough* canceling Life *cough*) for you to forgive them? Post your thoughts below.

Dann

Disappointed that Life is cancelled.
But real life goes on. It all comes down to money. That's all it is. Bottom Line.

May 18 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

Time will tell if the reduction in costs will keep the show at the same level it's at now.

By all means, however, feel free to have some blatant product placements, and I'm not being facetious. I would even go for rival products on the same show -- impossible to do, but fun as hell if they did it.

I think Leno being on five days a week permanently is a 50-50 shot right now. The possibility of Leno skipping out on Friday nights is pretty high, but that's only after the ratings are in.

May 18 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Walt's comment
tingrin87

the horrendously blatant subway $5 footlong bit in one of the last few episodes was so well-done...
they didin't try to hide it, they more or less broke the 4th wall and said "Subway is sponsoring us. here's your spot, subway, happy?"
it didn't bother me, the way some product placement does, but how many times can they do that?

June 06 2009 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bkdealer

Yay!!!

May 18 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Urkel

Dollhouse and (to a lesser extent) Chuck are shows that got saved due to the internet. A bunch of vocal people pushing for a show to get renewed despite the fact that they don't even watch it.

I guess it's good they're renewed but I don't see their ratings going any higher. I know I won't be watching either overhyped show.

May 18 2009 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Urkel's comment
Dan

Chuck is NOT overhyped, it's underhyped. Hence its low ratings. It's one of the best shows on TV right now and I'm glad its been renewed. 13 episodes isn't great, but it's better than none...

Each season of The Sopranos was 13 episodes...

May 18 2009 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I have to give credit to NBC for getting creative with the schedule. With the whole Leno thing, the network decided to bring shows back for half seasons instead of cancelling them. That gives 2 shows a spot that one show would have occupied. Glad to see Chuck returning, but does it run in the fall? Or will it return in January?

May 18 2009 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bill's comment
Jimmy

I read that part of the negotiations involved deciding on whether NBC had room in the fall for Chuck. If they held it back for spring, it would lose whatever viral momentum it had.

I also heard that the shortened season of Heroes will play in the fall, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them paired again, even if its not on Monday.

May 18 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

In case anyone is wondering, buzz says that the deal is officially a 13+9 deal, meaning that if it does well or remains profitable they'll pick up a back 9 episodes...

May 18 2009 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LutherMac

Glad to see Chuck has survived - I will be watching NBC after all! As for the shortened seasons, I think I actually prefer having 13 episode seasons. It keeps things nice and tight without having to have tons of filler added in just to drag out the episode count. The only thing that worries me in the article is the potential cast reductions, though I'm guessing some of the Buy More staff might be cut, or at least reduced to "guest" roles...

May 18 2009 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

Not that I wouldn't want 22 episodes, but perhaps having a 13 episode season will allow for a tighter season arc with greater focus on overall narrative. Character disappearances, while annoying to fans, could at least be written in some cohesive fashion to the plot. I hope the writers collaborate on making the 13 episodes a strong seasonal arc for Chuck and company. Less filler is also an ancillary effect of the shorter season order. Awesome news for Chuck and its hordes of fans.

May 18 2009 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ravi

Chuck Me!I'm happy that it got renewed for a 3rd season..also,i'd really like to see Adam,Buy More & Co to come back! Something on the lines of Big Mike getting his job back?

May 18 2009 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

13 eps is better than none at all. I'll take it. HOORAY!!!!!

May 17 2009 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply