October 30, 2014

ABC orders more high-concept dramas

by Mike Moody, posted May 18th 2009 1:25PM
Alan tudykIt looks like ABC is prepping Flash Forward to eventually succeed Lost, which is slated to end next season. Flash Forward, a mythology-laden show based on a Robert J. Sawyer novel, is only one of six new dramas the network has ordered for next fall.

Continuing its trend of green lighting quirky, high-concept shows, ABC is moving ahead with V, a revamp of the 1980s sci-fi series/miniseries, and Eastwick, a character-centric drama based on the John Updike novel and the Jack Nicholson movie, The Witches of Eastwick. Actor Paul Gross will play the Nicholson role on Eastwick.

ABC's Web site calls Eastwick "a devilish blend of Desperate Housewives and Charmed," which figures, but that's exactly what I hoped it wouldn't be.

It's still unclear if V will return to TV as a miniseries or as a weekly series, but Variety reports that ABC is expected to order 13 episodes of the show. V stars Firefly alums Morena Baccarin and Alan Tudyk, which will make it worth watching for me, and a million other sci-fi geeks.

Hopefully, V will get a full-season order. It might have worked best as a miniseries in the 1980s, but with the loss of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on Fox and the end of Battlestar Galactica, I'll be looking for a new weekly sci-fi TV addiction.

ABC also picked up two new crime dramas. The Forgotten, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, is about a crew of amateur sleuths, and Happy Town is a murder mystery set in Haplin, Minnesota. The show stars Amy Acker (another Joss Whedon vet) and Sam Niell. The legal drama The Deep End is expected to be picked up, possibly as a mid-season replacement.

RobynM

A couple of them sound interesting - hopefully Dish and Fisher will stop squabbling and I'll have ABC back by this fall so I can check them out.

May 19 2009 at 4:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

As good as some of these shows sound, I'll not be investing time in any of them. After being burned by getting attached to 'Dirty Sexy Money', 'Eli Stone' and especially 'Pushing Daisies'....all my trust is gone. I only tune into 'Lost' and once that's over, I don't plan to watch an ABC show ever again.

May 18 2009 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

Sam Neill.

May 18 2009 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Porchland's comment
Tony C

Word! I saw the gross misspelling too...

May 19 2009 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

They need 6 high concept dramas, so they can cancel 4 or 5 of them.

I wont be watching any of them unless its Pushing Daisies.

May 18 2009 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z_008

Doesn't ABC have a Fables, the comic series, show somewhere in the pipeline?

May 18 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

Huh, looks like Paul Gross is moving back south of the border... No more CBC miniseries and World War 1 movies for him!

May 18 2009 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

I just can NOT see "V" being anything other than what it was originally -- a hack job. (From a story aspect, not from any acting/production point of view)

May 18 2009 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

So the point of all of this is that Amy Acker is quitting Joss Wheadon even though Dollhouse got renewed?

May 18 2009 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Arclight's comment
leah

my thought exactly. what about dollhouse?

May 18 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony C

To be fair, Amy Acker's cast credit on Dollhouse has ALWAYS shown as a "Guest Star". Very limited on-screen presence and she can always go across town to film her few minutes of scenes per episode.

If you were an actor/actress, would you turn down a starring role in a new series?

May 19 2009 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply