December 22, 2014

Desperate Housewives: Everybody Says Don't / If It's Only In Your Head (season finale)

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 18th 2009 5:03AM
Desperate Housewives - Season 5 finale

(S05E23 / S05E24) "Isn't it just easier to shut down your hoo-ha until he gives in?" Gaby, offering Lynette her method for getting Tom to give up the idea of going back to college

Well, season five of Desperate Housewives has come to a close. I must say, this season sort of meandered towards the beginning, but really gained steam towards the end. The final episode brought a few stories together, including psycho Dave's, and ended with some good stories heading into next season.

Let's see where each housewife ended up:

Bree. Just when I think she's this strong, independent businesswoman, she does something that makes me wish she'd grow a backbone. She decides to divorce Orson, and yet she's stopped cold after learning that he filed an insurance claim in both their names? And he threatens her with this, because filing a false insurance claim could put her in prison?

Here's the thing. Orson is such a loser and has done so many things wrong – including landing in jail himself – that any lawyer worth their $150/hour (or way more, we're talking about TV lawyers), could easily get this dismissed in court. And yet two months down the line, Bree's sitting in church with Orson and making eyes at Carl sitting behind them. And I just have to say that Bree and Carl are such an odd pairing. Maybe it'll work next season for me, but right now it seems like Carl gave his sister a passionate kiss (that made her knees buckle).

Lynette. I've always thought that Lynette is too hard on Tom. She nags at him relentlessly and only comes on board with his dreams if there just doesn't seem to be another way out. But yeah, I can see why she'd be miffed at him going to college to learn Mandarin Chinese. It really does seem like some weird midlife crisis thing. At least his pizza venture was an actual business that supported his family for a while. Let's face it. It was a bad thing she did getting him drunk the night before his college entrance exam, but he should have told her that he wanted to learn Chinese to better position himself in the global market.

And does that dream have to be over now that Lynette is pregnant (with twins, no less)? They could make it work, and come out better in the long run (though I'm still thinking an extended ed class in Chinese might work as well as majoring in it in college). And twins! Just when they think they're out, they get pulled back in...

Susan. Good grief, I wish she and Mike would just come out and talk about their feelings. Maybe they wouldn't have had to go through the drama of the final episode (even though it would have been less fun for us). It took a near tragedy for them to realize their true feelings for each other, but thank goodness they did. Katherine practically tricking Mike into marrying her was low. A marriage built on deception would have ended badly, any way you look at it.

And why must every woman in peril who runs into the woods trip and hurt her ankle? Really? It's such a cliche. And if I was Susan, I would have smacked that stupid gun out of Dave's hand somewhere during that whole discourse.

While they didn't actually show Susan at the altar with Mike at the end, it must have been her, right? I can't imagine he'd go through with a sham marriage to Katherine after his experience with Susan and MJ that night.

And whew, Dave's finally in a mental hospital. That sweet little girl of his almost makes me understand his psycho actions.

Gaby. It's going to be really fun for Gaby to have a mini-me in the household. Anna seems just like Gaby – using guys to get what she wants – and I'm sure it'll be a big wake-up call for Gaby. And unless there's some mysterious secret about Anna we don't know, she doesn't seem like quite the lost cause("Should we tell them the truth about Anna?") that Aunt Connie made her out to be.

Nice to see Lily Tomlin back plotting and pulling capers with Mrs. McCluskey, even briefly.

What did you guys think about the finale two episodes? Are you happy with how things ended? Looking forward to next season?

How would you rate this season of Desperate Housewives?
Fantastic!146 (19.4%)
Very good.288 (38.2%)
Okay. I've seen better from Desperate Housewives.225 (29.8%)
Blah. It wasn't that good.56 (7.4%)
It was the worst season so far!39 (5.2%)

bambi

mike delfino should marry susan mayer and not the scheming bitch katherine mayfair. the accident brought them apart so the accident should bring them back together. see, MJ is the leaving proof of their love for each other.

orson is leaving desperate housewives on season 6 so the divorce will push through.

julie, susans daughter with karl will be back and so is john rowland. the gardener who had an affair with gaby. this time around its anna, gaby's mini me.

i hope its still susan and mike til the end. i love their tandem. they look good together. katherine looks like mikes aunt! lol!

July 30 2009 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob tresso

Its Desp. Housewives, Not Desperate Housewives Children. We have enough of them now. Gaby's daughters are repugnant.
Tom is henpecked. Dave will be back. Mike & Susan should be married. With Edie gone where is a female fatale? Would any woman want to be married to Orson? Why can't at least one of the Wives have some morals?
Keep it on the adult level, it sometime sorta sank to a lower level. I am not crazy about so many young children, and not at all crazy about Lynette's condition. Tom & Carlos are good joes. The niece is a repeat of Brees dtr. and Tom's earlier daughter. It needs an uplift, a new injection of some type. I have not missed an episode and my friends think I am weird, but this is better that some of the trash they watch.

May 26 2009 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tiffanizora

I liked Crazy Dave! I hope he gets better and comes back! I also want Jackson to stay with Susan. They are loving and fun. She already lost wonderful Ian because of Mike, now she's going to loose Jackson? She can go to Canada and marry him and bring him back. I hope she does. I would miss Jackson.

May 25 2009 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

My wife thinks she saw bridesmaids in the wedding and all Susans friends were in the audience.

Now if it was a dream.. that doesn't mean the crash didn't happen and that is why dave is in a mental hospital so Mike would still get in fight over Susan's guilt. Guess he could go after Eddie..or she called with a plumbing prob and they resparked.

May 23 2009 at 7:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgaine7

Here are my thoughts on the whole "dream" idea - note the title of the episode was "If it's Only in your Head". Edie would not be back, because at the end of last season she drove away and left Wisteria Lane. Also, maybe Mike & Susan weren't getting remarried, maybe they were just having an "official" ceremony, since they got married the first time out by his trailer. Maybe Lynette is puking because of her chemo, not because she's pregnant... Just some thoughts.

May 21 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sk8sueob

I kind of had a feeling it might be a dream myself at the end. Why was Dave in a mental institute in Boston? I've never gotten the impression that they live in New England although we've never been told where Wisteria Lane is exactly. Even though his dead shrink was from Boston, why would they send him back there? I was trying to remember all the "3 months later" "2 weeks ago" stuff that went on. I'll have to rewatch it and try to figure it out.
As a mother of young children, I have to say the final scene with Dave and MJ in the car was truly disturbing. Especially when he unbuckled his safety belt and said "you won't be needing that". I was cringing and had high anxiety at that point. I didn't think they would kill MJ, but I really wasn't sure what was going to happen.

Lynette being pregnant made me laugh. After Tom's "Sex Everyday for 30 Days" pact he made her agree to, I guess it shouldn't be a shocker, but funny.

May 19 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skw

they fight over silly stuff sometime,so anything might have caused their divorce. maybe he was cheating with katherine,maybe he got hooked on pain pills again,maybe he left the toilet seat up one time too many...who knows

May 19 2009 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skw

Did it seem to anyone else that Dave might have dreamed this whole season? He seems to be in a mental hospital in Boston.Maybe he was never in Fairview at all.

So maybe none of this ever happened? Like Dallas'famous"Bobby, I dreamed you died" or the entire runs of Newhart and St Elsewhere?

So maybe Edie will be back,and the fire never happened,etc.

If any/all of this is true,then I think Mike might be marrying Dave's wife /ex wife, whatever she was because she didn't die in the car crash.

May 18 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to skw's comment
viietnamizz

Your idea is quite interesting! way more interesting than what we've seen for this season finale.. really boring!

But then, why would have Susan & Mike divorced if it wasn't for this car crash?

May 18 2009 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SuperSwiffty

I absolutely loved this season! It was amazing, filled with so much drama and emotions. Although I would prefer the return of Julie (Susans daughter), Danielle & Andrew (Bree's children) aswell as Katherine's daughter - I pretty much adore the current characters...I think in future Gabby's kids should at least look like her...would make sense. Either way great series! Can't wait for the next!

May 18 2009 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allie

This season was stale! I have seen so many better episodes in the past. Bree was strong and would have slapped Orsens loser ass. Lynette hasnt changed much with being so annoying, Katherine doesnt belong with Mike, Susan is still fun Susan and belongs with Mike. Gaby is the same but with a annoying Mini-Me.

May 18 2009 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply