October 30, 2014

Goodbye to The Unusuals

by Bob Sassone, posted May 18th 2009 8:03AM
The UnusualsThe last few days have seen a ton of rather surprising renewals. Just when you thought Dollhouse, Castle, Chuck, Scrubs, and Better Off Ted were dead, they get renewals for another season. But that's not going to happen to another show with a following, The Unusuals.

The news won't come officially until ABC's upfront later tomorrow, but creator Noah Hawley says on his Twitter page that the show will not be back next season, and that the final four episodes will start airing on May 27.

I guess ABC "surprise renewed" so many shows that there wasn't room for another. So you're going to get a ninth season of Scrubs instead of a second season of The Unusuals.

Now, since the island blew up at the end of the Lost season finale (maybe), I wonder if we'll see Michael make some sort of comeback now that Harold Perrineau is free?

Geno

Our family loved The Unusuals because the people in it were so ...well, unusual. They each had his or her own quirk that gave opportunities for loads of story lines. If USA truly means "CHARACTERS WANTED", they should save The Unusuals and put them in the mix with Monk, Burn Notice, Psych, and In Plain Sight to give us another good reason not to watch reality TV!

June 29 2009 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaesha

The Unusuals is funny, insightful, and addictive; a cross between Barney Miller and Hill Street Blues, right down to having the jail cell right in the office next to the policeman's desks. I'm still getting the word out for my friends and family to tune in and it gets the ax? What is ABC thinking?? Remember ages ago when Monk premiered on ABC to be exact, it was quickly cancelled, but thankfully went on to become a cable cult classic. The Unusuals is a thoughtful, creative hour of quirky detective stories. I have frankly gotten quite attached to the characters and look forward to seeing what antics they will get into each week. This is another TV tragedy, where the executives fail once again to look and listen to their viewing audience. They likely don't even watch television, so how would they know what viewers want to see?? I vote for network studios to do an audience poll before cancelling these shows and then let the advertisers see the results before they decide. It's all about money anyway. I guess I'm back to Law and Order on Weds nights. I can't believe I gave up watching new Law and Order episodes this season simply to see this fantastic show get cast aside. Shame on you ABC!

June 29 2009 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
belizedude

this is crap the show was really good something to look forward to each week now nada. thanx alot abc at least let us know what happen to the characters at least when they cut off prison break they did a finale hoorah and explained to us how everything ended not just cut it off and left us in the blind.

June 23 2009 at 1:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob McHale

I cant' believe it! This is the first cop show I could enjoy since NYPD Blue went off the air. I'll be looking for a reprieve for this show...it's just too good!

June 17 2009 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noreen

The Unusuals has only been getting better with each subsequent episode.....both my husband & I have been looking forward to each week's show and would hope ABC reconsiders its renewal.

June 04 2009 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unknownloser

Isn't this Adam Golberg's second failed show in as many seasons?

May 19 2009 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Come on, this was just another cop procedural. Like we don't already have enough cop/lawyer/doctor shows? What's funny is how blatant they were about trying to market this show as being different, going so far to call it "The Unusuals" and saying its cops, and the cases its cops are given to solve are "more unusual" than in the the other fifty bazillion copshows on TV.

Can't you just imagine the network pitch for this show?

"It's a cop show - but it's an UNUSUAL cop show! And people will know that because - and here's the best part - the name of the show is 'The Unusuals'!"

"Brilliant! You've got a greenlight!"

And now it's cancelled.

"Life" was a far better copshow show with more interesting characters (well, just Charlie Crews) and more extraordinary cases. And now that show is cancelled, too.

This should prove beyond all doubt that it is physically impossible to make a new type of copshow. It's all been done, and at the end of the day they're all the same. The only variable is how many hot female cops are on the show and how often they have cop-sex, and even then it's all been done before. How about imposing a 10 year moratorium on new copshows? Maybe after 10 years, the same old copshows will be be fresh again.

May 18 2009 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

OK. Since my comment was deleted, I'm going to repost it in the hopes someone will tell me what was wrong with it before removing it.

However, all I can say is good. The show had potential but it couldn't figure out how it wanted to be unusual be it through the music, shaky camera work, the transitions, the dispatch operator and the unusual characters. I think the latter served as its strength, but the former seemed too fragmented, as if the producers/writer/director just sat in a room brainstorming how else to make the show appear 'unusual' without making it unified. Also, I think if the show focused on the supporting characters, it would've worked, especially with their abilities. However, Amber T's fish out of water, rich-girl-gone-good character tired a bit, considering she had evidently worked on vice for x-number of years. And, at this point, having another show focused on a rich person reaching to the little people is tiresome and they could've gone for something more realistic. Sadly, her riches didn't make her 'unusual' so much as hackneyed, which is a shame considering T's talent.

May 18 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet

Another stupid decision on the part of ABC. One of the most refreshing cop shows on TV and one I looked forward to each week. I am heartbroken. What will it take to bring it back.

May 18 2009 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Janet's comment
Carolyn

I think this is terrible. Especially with the reason given for the cancellation. I really like this show and think it should have stayed in the line-up. A very bad decision by the network.

May 21 2009 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allie

I liked the first few episodes but then they started to get just stupid. Seeing people doing things that arent funny, ironic, but just plain stupid is not must see tv.

May 18 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply