August 21, 2014

Pepsi Throwback can talks to a fondue pot and a Polaroid camera

by Bob Sassone, posted May 18th 2009 5:25PM
Pepsi has teamed up with Hulu to place ads for their new Pepsi Throwback (Pepsi made with real sugar) into several old shows, including The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Battlestar Galactica. Each short spot features the Pepsi can talking to something from the 70s: a disco ball, roller skates, a fondue pot, a Polaroid camera. There are no spots with the can talking to Nixon or Dorothy Hamill's hairdo, however.

What the ads can't answer is why the heck I can't find any of this stuff in any of the stores in my area.

Oscar

It tastes good, but I don't like the design of the can. Late last year Pepsi came out with these aluminum bottles that featured all kinds of old school logos and designs. I wish they had used those instead of pushing this 70s campaign they are doing now.

Damn, I wish I had kept some of those bottles too. I should have realized there was no commercials for these bottles and that maybe it was a market test or something.

May 19 2009 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Wow, I thought it was just our area that wasn't carrying it. All I can find here in Austin are a few random cases of Mountain Dew Throwback (conveniently marked "clearance" at $4.59!!!) but not a sign of Pepsi Throwback anywhere. I told my wife this weekend that it's probably for the best that I can't find it since I'd probably love it and then they stop making it. Even so, I wish they'd stop the freakin' advertising campaign if no one is going to sell the darn stuff!!!

On a different note, I'm in the food business and believe it or not the trend now days is AWAY from corn sweeteners and TOWARDS using cane sugar again. With the increased price of corn (can you say "ethanol"?) it has actually become cheaper for many food products to begin using cane sugar again. Add that it appears more "natural" than using more processed corn sweeteners and many companies get a bump in their sales as a result. Look at any of the new organic drinks on the market and they will all have cane sugar instead of HFCS.

Personally, I'm waiting for Coke to come back again with REAL Classic Coke (using cane sugar) so I can stop buying imported Mexican bottles of Coke using the same.

May 19 2009 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

My first thought was "Oh, good - it's not just me". In fact, I was talking about that to my daughter just this evening. Like Ian, I'm starting to believe they're deliberately making it difficult to find so it can be declared a failure.

May 19 2009 at 5:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Good i thought i was the only one who couldnt find it, here in the chicago area. Tried Target and a few of the local grocery chains and keep turning up empty handed

May 18 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

I love Pepsi Throwback! I live in the southwest and our local stores sold out quickly and the stores didn't want to restock it, so my family and I drove 2 hours to Pueblo and stocked up!

May 18 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I think its a conspiracy to not sell that well so they don't keep it permanently.

The High Fructose Corn Syrup sodas are much cheaper to produce. I'm in NYC and have only seen in it Westchester, thus far...

May 18 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJ

I love the new Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwbacks. I'm hoping if enough people keep buying it, they'll keep it around. Down with HFCS!

May 18 2009 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply