August 1, 2014

Somebody give Christina Applegate a job!

by Jason Hughes, posted May 19th 2009 5:02PM
Christina ApplegateLooks like Samantha Who? won't be making it after all. They were negotiating to reduce costs on Christina Applegate's sitcom to try and keep it on the air, but apparently that didn't work out. I really thought quality-wise Samantha was one of the stronger sticoms on the air. I can certainly think of quite a few that are still hanging in there that couldn't come close to matching it.

This does mean that Christina Applegate is available for other work now, though. What a revelation she's become as a comic actress. We've known she's had chops (and other assets) since her days as Kelly Bundy and even on *ahem* Jesse she was charming, but she really came into her own with this show. I hope she doesn't stay absent from our screens too long. Maybe she could be the mother on HIMYM? Or get together with Alyssa Milano on a new show and watch all the guys who grew up in the '80s and '90s squeal in unison like little girls. It wouldn't even matter what it was about, but I recommend something on a beach.

Joe

I will be the first one to say I would like to see Christina Applegate join the cast of the Office. You might say why but I could see some chemistry between Dwight's (Rainn Wilson) character and a character that Christina would play.

They both were in the Rocker and in the past Both Christina and Rainn said they would like to work together again. So may be Christina could be a love interest for Dwight.

May 21 2009 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

It really makes me mad that ABC cancelled "Samantha Who?" when it had a great place to put it next season -- right after Kelsey Grammer's new show "Hank" on Wednesday nights. "Samantha" would have been a MUCH better fit there than that horrid piece of drivel with Patricia Heaton. Granted, I haven't seen it yet but just the mere fact that P.H. is in it will make me not watch it ever. That spot should have gone to Christina A. and company.

May 20 2009 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unknownloser

Does anyone remember she won an Emmy for her guest role on Friends?

May 19 2009 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unknownloser

There should be a "Christina Applegate deserves a show" website!!! I know she probably doesn't need the money after 11 years straight on on a sitcom, but TV needs her!

May 19 2009 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Jason, I'm glad to see that someone else remembers "Jesse" besides me. I always thought that the theme song deserved to be as big a hit for The Tories as "I'll Be There For You" was for The Rembrandts but it never was. I finally tracked down a copy of their CD featuring "Jesse's Theme" where it still gets a decent rotation in my iTunes and on my iPod.

Christina Applegate has truly risen above Kelly Bundy and she deserves some great roles, both on TV and on film. She's got terrific comic timing and she's a really great actress too. Hope this cancellation just brings her better things.

May 19 2009 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The show was not great. It was lucky to get a second season.

May 19 2009 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wally

that is sad tho. she's a talented actress and i really hope things get better for her. all the best Christina! Maybe she should audition for the next Nite Tales movie...yah?

May 19 2009 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven

I completely agree with this article. Samantha Who? really was a quality show and with other channels picking up other channel's programs, then maybe there is still a slither of hope. However, I will not hold my breath. I am going to miss this show and the cast. ABC should have kept it after Dancing with the Stars instead of giving that spot to Surviving Suburbia. Anyway, the idea of Christina Applegate being the mother on HIMYM sounds like a good idea. Either way, I really hope that she at least ends up in a recurring gig on some show and that we don't have to go years without seeing her beauty.

May 19 2009 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

I liked "Samantha Who". Did not love it, but I enjoyed it. Mainly because of Christina Applegate and Jennifer Esposito... I would really love to see Christina Applegate in a quality drama-series. She does funny well, but I would rather see her in a new environment, not comedy again. And if so, maybe one with a little more profoundness to it, like "Scrubs".

May 19 2009 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

Jason, Thank you for putting that amazing image of those two on a beach in my head! That just brightened my day.

May 19 2009 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply