July 24, 2014

The scariest video you'll see today: teens without technology!

by Bob Sassone, posted May 19th 2009 2:02PM
I've been online every single day for about 14 years, I have several e-mail addresses, I have a couple of computers, I have a cell phone, and I Twitter. Still, I don't think it would be a problem for me to give up my cell phone and iPod for ten days.

Not the younger folks though, if this video from Today is any indication. The kids just can't handle not being able to get online or text to their friends (17,500 messages in one month??). One kid doesn't even know how to use a newspaper, and another can't read a regular clock (seriously). I think their heads would cave in if they tried to use a typewriter.

Scott

Blame the parents. That mother had no control over her son, and even in that interview, refused to take any control--"he'll set his own limits". Yeah, look how well that's worked so far.

May 19 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee-Anne

This video doesn't show outside of US. Is it displayed on another website?

May 19 2009 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

This is not good, what's going to happen when the Zombie Apocalypse starts and none of our technology works anymore. These kids are goners. :)

May 19 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I think not being able to read a newspaper is scarier than not being able to read an analog clock. It's jut paper that you read!

May 19 2009 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

It may seem appalling that kids today can't read an analog clock. But, if you go back thru time (no pun intended), there are many examples of this kind of thing. Why can't you: operate a computer from a command line, write your own web page in HTML using vi, drive a stick, change the oil in your car, ride a horse, shoe a horse, milk a cow, build a barn, plow a field, clean a fish, etc.?

Some people can still do some/all of these things, but most people can't/don't/won't do most of them, and the numbers go down as the years go by.

May 19 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to DJ's comment
StillBash

vi?!? VI????

Are you INSANE?

Even though I'm a programmer I always have and always will despise this insane editor or any kind of Linux/Unix system that requires you to rely on the command line. I grew up with Atari ST, then Windows 3.1 and I'm simply not giving up on mouse usage. I know it's a thing of preference and that you are actually faster if you use the commandline but I still think that if you grew up in the 90s with computers there is no valid reason EXCEPT if you are a programmer to actually use the command line.

VI... Jesus. I can hardly accept Emacs.

May 20 2009 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

That's the point, really. vi is available on every version of Unix (including Mac OS X and Linux) from desktops to "big iron". I personally prefer TextMate, but vi is useful to know because you never know what other editor someone may have installed, and vi is always there.

Likewise, a lot of old things fade away as they're replaced by something "better". The latest generation has fewer kids who know how to read an analog clock, so the next generation will have fewer parents who teach it to their kids. Still, it's useful to know how to do some of those other things, so you're not "stuck" when your favorite modern convenience (digital clock, automatic transmission, Quickie Lube, etc.) is not available.

May 20 2009 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply