October 24, 2014

90210: One Party Can Ruin Your Whole Summer (season finale)

by Isabelle Carreau, posted May 20th 2009 12:28PM

90210(S01E24) Many TV critics and fans of Berverly Hills, 90210, had their doubts about the spin-off. Many people said it wouldn't last more than a few episodes. Surprise, surprise! The series got better and not only got to have a complete first season but was renewed for a second one.

The season finale had loads of drama, action, booze, twists and turns, including the return of Shannen Doherty and the mention of her parents. Did the finale live up to your expectations and mine? Let's find out.

I was really touched by Adrianna's delivery and the fact she didn't want to hold her baby because she was going to lose her to the adoptive parents in a few hours. Good thing she had a dream about a Cleopatra clothed-Brenda to make her see the importance of saying goodbye. When that dream sequence started, I was sure it was the real deal until Shannen Doherthy's acting felt odd when Brenda was talking to Adrianna in her room. I felt really bad hearing that Jim Walsh was dying but what a relief when the dragon appeared and Brenda vanished! The Walsh parents were important characters for those of us who watched the original series and some of us even felt like they were our second set of parents.

As Ty told Navid, the latter was realy there for Adrianna throughout the pregnancy and delivery. It was amazing seeing him by his side no matter if the kid was his or not. I truly hope they stay a strong couple next season.

What is there to say about Jen? She is a you know what. Yes, Naomi can be a pain and evil at times, but she was in her right to throw the party since she is paying for everything. Jen went way too far this time as it not only destroyed Naomi and her relationship with Liam but made Naomi so angry that she attacked the wrong person, Annie, which caused a chain of tragic events.

Poor Annie... I wonder if she really hit someone or if it was a big animal. It wasn't 100% clear that it was a person. In the weeks before the finale, the cast kept saying that the finale included a "murder;" were they saying the truth? If it's a body, Annie will definately be in deep trouble because of the car that followed her. The Wilson household will have a lot to face if there is an investigation and a trial. Animal or human, it's clear that Annie will never be the same from now on. She erupted, as predicted by Liam, and aftermath will more than likely have a lot of damaging effects in the first batch of episodes. Will she become as evil and destructive as Naomi?

I really disliked the pot brownies storyline. Lori Loughlin and Rob Estes deserve better storylines than such stories and, sadly, it's about the most action they got this season. I predict some rocking time ahead since it's clear that Kelly has feelings for Harry even if she doesn't want to really admit it.

I'm not commenting on the Dixon/Silver/Ethan storyline since Dustin Milligan will not return next season so it's clear that there is no love triangle anymore. The only options that can happen is that Dixon and Silver stay together or break up.

Personally, I enjoyed this first season of the spin-off. The second half of the season was particularly interesting and filled with drama and emotions. I'm looking forward to next season.

What did you think of the finale? Are you curious to know what will happen to Liam? Do you think Annie hit someone? What do you think will happen next season? Share your opinions and make your predictions in comments below.

katherine

well you just made it obvious in your last paragraph..if that guy is not returning to the season it must be him that annie hit! how else would they get him off the show?

May 23 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Love how Annie called the cops on e/o at the party. Paybacks are a b***! It clearly sounded like Annie hit something, but when she drove away there was nothing there. I was confused on the car that was behind her w/ the CA plates and why did it stopped? I never thought it would be someone from the orginal cast. I thought Adrianna decided to keep the baby afterall? I was sobbing like a baby when she didnt want to give her up. :(

May 21 2009 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melody

I'm excited by Liam and Naomi's relationship, I hope that they find a way to fix it and I can't wait until they blow Naomi's sister out of the water (I HATE her character!) I've never liked Annie, it's funny though I think she may have hit a black bear? Too bad about Ethan, I liked seeing him and Silver hook up, especially since they are/were a real life couple. And the Pot Brownie scene was hilarious because they played it so well, but it glorifies drug use and it really did not have a place in the show. Hearing the recap of the finale sounds so ridiculous that it makes me laugh. But, I actually loved it and found it gripping, I really cannot wait until next season.

May 20 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
d4cella

great finale. ethan is easily one of the best characters on the show. too bad he's gone. is he going to recur at all to ease him out of the show or is he just done? Because i would hate for the character to get no closure.

May 20 2009 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to d4cella's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Dustin Milligan is not set to return at all. Not even for one episode to wrap things up. So maybe people who thought that Annie hit Ethan are on the right track. Imagine how Annie will feel and how her schoolmates will react if that theory turns out to be true. For sure, if it wasn't a bear, the person she hit wore something dark... a suit such as one worn at a prom?

May 20 2009 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Wow. I only saw the last 15 minutes of the finale. Everything I read here occurred in that time. Good to see I didn't miss anything.

May 20 2009 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I think that the car that pulled up after Annie last night will end up being Dillon's return to 90210, rumor mills said that Luke Perry is slated for an appearance next season and it was a Mercedes with CA plates..

May 20 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melissa's comment
Jen

I think it might have been David Silver.

May 20 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mumbles

Since Dustin Milligan isn't returning...maybe he wandered off and Annie hit him..

May 20 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mumbles's comment
Kevin

So why isn't Dustin Milligan not coming back?

June 19 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Kevin: Dustin is not coming back for creative reasons. The new show's headoncho felt like the Ethan character had run its course.

June 20 2009 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

I'm pretty sure that was Liam being booted off to military school and that Annie hit a person. But I would hardly call that erupting. Erupting would be doing something crazy in anger, not doing something stupid while distraught.

And I never thought I'd say it, but between Liam's antagonizing of her and the party's/Phoebe/Naomi's actions toward her, I've been feeling really bad for Annie these last couple episodes..

May 20 2009 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply