April 18, 2014

My eulogy for According to Jim

by Brad Trechak, posted May 20th 2009 3:01PM
According to JimThis will be the last season of According to Jim, and I will miss it. Not because I liked the show, or even watched the show (I did see one episode while waiting on line at UPS and then decided to never watch it again), but because According to Jim has been the target of all my jokes about the lack of quality network television for virtually as long as its been on the air.

If you care about such things, then spoilers follow about the series finale.

The series finale airs on June 2nd, and involves Jim choking on a shrimp puff and dying. He goes to the Afterlife and God (played by Lee Majors) and the Devil (played by Erik Estrada) put him on trial to see if he's worthy of Heaven or Hell. I may try to catch it, if only because it's a perfect analogy to my thoughts about the series. Was it worth the film it was recorded on? Did it contribute to society in any way?

My final question: what scripted series can now pick up the slack as the bottom of the television barrel? Any suggestions?

Guess Who

"Jim" wasn't a bad show - it just wasn't a great show. It ran almost a decade because it was cheap to produce, syndication friendly and convenient filler whenever ABC needed it.

I watched largely because of Kimberly Williams, and she moved on in the final season to have yet another future country music star (one can only assume).

"According to Jim" will make almost no ones top ten list, but it did its job well and enjoyed a much longer run than thousands of other high concept, expensive or Emmy winning shows.

Enjoy the residuals boys...

May 21 2009 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nornny

I think Brad was saying he was indifferent to the show itself, but will miss all the trash-talking the show gets from the entertainment media (i.e. the perception of the show).

I too, will miss all the fury spewed from fans of shows that ABC canceled over According to Jim (*cough*Pushing Daisies*cough*). If Better Off Ted didn't get renewed over this show, I probably would've been one of them.

May 21 2009 at 7:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

'Til Death is and always has been the bottom of the barrel.

May 20 2009 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Good you posted a picture with this post because otherwise I would've thought that what you wrote down happens in the Series finale as a joke. I mean seriously. "Alf" looks like Shakespeare compared to that.

May 20 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emtae

Two and a Half Men is very popular, thus instant bait for the oh-so-hip lamers that consider According to Jim jokes to be clever writing.

May 20 2009 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

Not that I've ever even attempted to watch According to Jim, but how can you be so certain that it sucks without ever sitting down to watch? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is awful, becaues Jim Belushi has never been funny, but why ridicule a show you've never given a chance to? Meanwhile, Big Bang Theory I actually HAVE tried to sit down and watch based on glowing recommendations from this very website, and I happen to find that to be the very bottom of the barrel of scripted comedies.

May 20 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

i don't watch shows that don't interest me, why would anyone intentionally do that?
But judging from promos that make me cringed and change the channel, here are a few: Two and a Half Men, Tyler Perry's House of Payne, Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns, any so-called "reality" with desperate whores on E!, VH1, MTV.

May 20 2009 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake Tise

Anything on CBS will do.

May 20 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GamerJunk.net

Shouldn't The Hills count as a scripted series? Obviously it isn't real.

That is my vote

May 20 2009 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I won't believe it until someone drives a wooden stake through its heart and someone's head gets cut off just to be sure.

May 20 2009 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply