October 1, 2014

Will Walter kill Jesse on Breaking Bad?

by Allison Waldman, posted May 20th 2009 2:06PM
Jesse in bed Breaking Bad

A few weeks ago, I got to speak with Bryan Cranston about Breaking Bad winning a Peabody Award. In the course of that conversation, Bryan told me that writer/creator Vince Gilligan had considered killing the character of Jesse Pinkman at the end of last season. This was a bit of shock to me, but according to Bryan, what saved Jesse was Aaron Paul's performance. "He has this puppy dog quality even when he's doing the most despicable things," Bryan told me.

Well, as I watched Breaking Bad the other night, it occurred to me that Jesse's days might be numbered. In fact, Jason alluded to the possibility in his review; those two dead bodies lying under blankets that have been beside the White pool in the season-long foreshadowed crime scene could be Jane and Jesse.

It makes sense, too. Jesse has been failing Walter with regularity of late, and as Gustavo pointed out when he explained why he wasn't interested in becoming Walt's distributor, Jesse is a drug addict. His drug habit took a massively nasty turn when he had Jane inject him with heroin (although what an amazing scene to the tune of the song "Enchanted"). Anyway, what are the chances that Walter continues putting up with Jesse's screw-ups?

If Breaking Bad goes down the dark path that Vince has been taking the show, Walter could definitely cut his losses with Jesse. Remember, Breaking Bad is essentially Walter's journey (not Walter and Jesse's), so him turning into a certifiable, stone-cold killer could be exactly what's going to happen, especially since Walter is so protective of his family and thinks he may not survive the operation.

Winn

Well, my mouth just closed after my jaw dropped for 30 minutes. Brilliant. I feel pretty dumb, but what a rush to get that way! And after Skylar busted the Walt going to the airport and back to see Mom----- WHO portrays the dead girlfriend's Father? I have seen him in a movie we dearly enjoy, but I can't place him or remember his name!

I am stunned. STUPENDOUS Show.

May 31 2009 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Winn

The dead people from the pool must be the Walt look-alike salesman and family from the building supply store, episode on May 10? That was not Walter's pool and house.

May 22 2009 at 7:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hannah.a.taylor

I'm thinking Walt may end up cooking at his house or storing materials there, out of sheer desperation. Maybe in the crawlspace?

I don't at all think it's a given that the bodies are Jesse and Jane. Walt is so adamant about keeping Jesse away from his family, I think that both he and Jane being at Walt's house is farfetched. I think Skylar and Hank, or maybe Hank and Walt Jr.? I'm still leaning toward Skylar being one of the bodies.

May 21 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sully

Ted brings a pink bear to the Whites house as a gift for the baby...while talking with Skyler in the kitchen... an explosion... possibly caused by Walts installation of a new gas heater... kills Skyler and Ted...with the bear being blown out through the window and into the pool...this leaves Walt a widower with two children next season...and still facing death by cancer...will make him more determined than ever to make as much money as possible before he checks out...also without Skyler he can sink deeper and deeper into the world of drugs as he struggles to provide enough money for Walt Jr. and the baby...walt Jr. will pick up the roll as a surrogate father of sorts for the baby...

May 21 2009 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Like I said elsewhere - two random guys Walter and Jesse kill - and get away with it. Throw in the revelation that they are dealing/producing drugs to... I don't know. Someone in the family. Walter's son I guess, and you're set for Season 3.

I mean honestly, just watch "Weeds". This might be better but still. Same setup.

May 20 2009 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Intresting thought. Would love to see Walter kill Jesse. But i think those bodies are those two thugs that he met at the hardware store and they're comeing for some payback. Anyways we will see....

May 20 2009 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stewartwallace

Regarding the hostage from the basement, I kind of assumed that they might have done something like dissolving the remains with acid. (Boy, isn't this pleasant!)

May 20 2009 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CraigO

I totally agree with the water heater comment. They're building it up to appear as something major but I really think it's going to be an explosion caused by the water heater installation. They even foreshadowed it a bit I think ("...this thing uses compressed gas...")

Only thing I can't figure out is the hazmat suits and bodybags. Any guesses?

May 20 2009 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CraigO's comment
stewartwallace

If the meth is in the explosion, then they would need wear hazmat suits to clean it up. (A guy who was doing some mold abatement at my house talked about how they have to wear them even to clean up a site where meth has been cooked.)

May 20 2009 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tuco

I'm surprised this is a debate. Of course that's Jesse and Jane. The show's overriding theme is paying for bad choices, and Jesse has made the ultimate one in heroine. Add to that the fact that Jesse was supposed to die in the first season and that Jane and Jesse are (according to previews) trying to blackmail Walt, and it's goodbye Jesse. A shame, because Aaron Paul is a great actor. But perfectly in line with such a daring show to kill off a primary character.

May 20 2009 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hiki

Walt is involved as I'm pretty sure his glasses were lined up along the pool after the event.

May 20 2009 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply