April 20, 2014

NBC wanted Ghost Whisperer but didn't get it (and lost Medium)

by Bob Sassone, posted May 21st 2009 5:23PM
Ghost WhispererSuddenly, it seems that network TV programming is becoming like Major League Baseball. I'll trade you Scrubs for money and a TV show to be named later. Or how about taking According To Jim off our our hands and you give us Old Christine? Shows are going to other networks already, so why not just starting trading them?

On the heels of CBS picking up Medium after NBC canceled it (actually, they wanted to renew it for fewer episodes but CBS Studios said no and grabbed it) comes this news that NBC was all set to buy Ghost Whisperer if CBS had canceled that show, and then they were going to pair it with Medium, if they had kept that.

But none of that happened, of course. CBS kept Ghost Whisperer and now has Medium too. Both will air on Friday nights.

This must be news that makes fans of other canceled shows grit their teeth. Why can't another network take my favorite show too?! Come on, Life would go together just perfectly with The Mentalist!

Ben

I heard rumors that ABC wanted Ghost Whisperer. I knew that CBS wouldn't get rid of Ghost it does well on Fridays. I think if you put on a great show people will watch I think the networks should try putting shows on Saturdays not just repeats just my opinion.

NBC has good shows like Heroes, Southland, The Parenthood looks good as well.

May 23 2009 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

I disagree with what Jimmy said in comment #6, that is...

May 22 2009 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

I disagree.

May 22 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

'Life' is a GOOD SHOW! Networks are missing the boat not picking up 'Life'. I think it would pair well on the USA Network with 'Burn Notice', also a very good show...

May 22 2009 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

This just in---NBC has replaced Medium with Extra Large.

May 22 2009 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

These "traded" shows only really work if one of 2 things are there:

1) The show is produced by a studio whose sister company owns the new station ("Medium" is produced by CBS Studios, "Scrubs" is made by ABC Studios).

2) The show is produced by a 3rd party studio that is known for airing shows more often on other networks, most notably Warner Bros. (while they have a 50% stake in the CW, most of their shows air on other networks).

"Without a Trace" was, as far as I'm aware (given the DVDs), a CBS Studios production. Thus, they'd almost certainly never let another network swoop in and "save" it.

"My Name is Earl" is a bit different, since it's a 20th Century Fox production, but previously aired on NBC. So even if it didn't move to FOX, if the money was right, they wouldn't necessarily be opposed to the show joining another network, because it doesn't make their sister company/network look bad, it makes NBC look bad.

"Life" on USA would've been a smart move, especially if it was paired with "Law & Order: CI". The show could've easily been produced for less cash (ie. "cable money") and still kept the essence of the show, since it was highly character-driven. But alas, that great show is gone for good.

May 22 2009 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sugcat

Come on someone.... pick up LIFE.... I loved this show!!!

May 22 2009 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kireet

24 and The Unit. Perfect intense-action-thriller block for Fox.

May 21 2009 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kate king

I hate NBC for cancelling Life, I'm through watching anything on that network!!

May 21 2009 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Why would CBS cancel "Ghost Whisperer"? Its one of the few shows on Friday nights that gets decent ratings. I've never really heard of shows leaving one network to go to another before until it happened to "Buffy" and now it seems to happen to at least one show a season.

May 21 2009 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply