October 31, 2014

Various versions of V's fate arrive with motherships

by John Scott Lewinski, posted May 21st 2009 12:03PM
Morena Baccarin leads an alien invasion of ABC with VIn the yearly scramble to pick up pilots, renew old shows, and dispose of last season's weaker offerings, ABC is shorting 80s sci-fi favorite V.

The original 1983 miniseries featured a race of stealthy, guinea pig swallowing lizards from the stars taking over the world with fascist strategies reminiscent of the rise of Nazi Germany. The following year's TV series dumbed it down a bit and became a weekly battle between freedom fighters and creepy aliens.

You can catch the upfront trailer for V here. It looks a bit like ABC is being invaded by Independence Day -- though Independence Day looked like it was being invaded by the original V. Fortunately, these new invaders bring Firefly's Morena Baccarin (right) along for the trip as their spin doctor.

While there was talk of bringing V back as a weekly series, ABC requested only a six-episode miniseries from Warner Bros. The studio turned that down and walked away -- which is merely code for "awaiting further negotiations." While it's unlikely ABC would up the offer to a full series, Warner Bros. could hope to stretch the offer to a mini-series and a sequel or just look to snag more money.

As much as die-hard fans of the original V might not like to hear it (if there are still any die-hard fans of V), asking for just a miniseries run looks like a good move by ABC. The original movies of the 80s version worked well because it could maintain the tension and the premise for a few hours. But, when the alien invasion melodrama went to weekly episodes, it got repetitive and corny real fast.

Meanwhile, I'll make a prediction that's apropos of nothing cool or sci-fi. In the trailer, the aliens are described as using the most powerful weapon imaginable in brainwashing and controlling Earth's human population -- "devotion." I guarantee a conservative pundit will use that line and that concept to attack the adoring followers of the Obama administration. Book it.

Andy

An actual intelligent person offered a full review of the V pilot:

I swear TV Squad gets dumber and dumber...

May 25 2009 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KevinInChains

trailer makes me think the show kinda looks like Earth: Final Conflict. Not that i mind, EFC was a good show for awhile, then it came off the rails, but i'll still watch V when it airs on ABC

May 21 2009 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

@ Raked:
It's "signed up for" six episodes as a mid-season replacement. It is NOT on ABC's fall schedule. If it's a hit they can order more scripts and put it back into production, although it might have to go on hiatus for awhile. If it's a bomb, they cut bait.

May 21 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

At this point, what has it been signed up for? They've put it on their schedule, so does that mean it's for 13-episodes, a full season, or just a mini-series?

May 21 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

John,

Don't quit your day job, unless this *is* your day job. In that case, quit your day job.

Sincerely,

The literate people of Earth.

May 21 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Morena Baccarin? Firefly? I am sooooo there!

While the original "V" effects were subpar, it did a pretty good job of even existing on network TV the first go round. Sci-Fi has never had that great a track record on OTA broadcast so I was glad to hear that it is getting a makeover. I don't know if it will be as epic as the new BSG was however anyone with enough vision to cast Ms. Baccarin again has my vote for sure. Lizard Queen or human, I'd give her 100% of my attention...

May 21 2009 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephanie

Gotta agree with what was said above, the article's kind of all over the map. You start with fact, then move into opinion, and end with "Devotion"? Did you ever see the original V? What do you call what the people who helped the Visitors were feeling? I think that was devotion....right? Leave politics out of it, k?

Some of us have extremely fond memories of V, I still think it's one of the best sci-fi programs ever produced (the first and original version), and am REALLY looking forward to its return.

May 21 2009 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan Prindiville

Man, I would love to see this as a series of miniseries instead of a traditional run.

May 21 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Dorr

What? You need to rewrite this article, because I barely have any idea what's going on. You start talking about the business, then dive into the background of the show, then criticize the trailer, then mention one of the stars of the new version, and then suddenly jump back into the business aspects. I have no idea what I just read. What about some context? I was under the impression this show was already a lock, but I guess not. But then again, without having a clue as to what's going on, I don't know what to think...

May 21 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim Dorr's comment
Patrick R

I have to agree that this is very confusing to read. What are the "various versions"? And in what way is the show being shorted? It's also strange that it says there "was" talk of it coming back as a weekly series, when in fact it "is" coming back as a weekly series. An article in Variety from just two days ago stated that the first season would be 13 episodes, and that a mix of 13 or 22-episode seasons could follow if all goes as planned, according to ABC's Stephen McPherson.

May 21 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply