October 24, 2014

Southland: Derailed (season finale) - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted May 22nd 2009 9:25AM
SouthlandThis was only the seventh episode of Southland but it was also the season finale, due to it starting after ER ended its run.

I'm still of two minds about this show. While it's obvious it's a "quality" show, I want more Adam-12 and less ensemble cast dramatics. Did you catch the scene with the lady with the chicken nuggets? That actually happened in real life a few months ago. (Yes, I mentioned chicken nuggets before the big shooting at the end!)

The show is coming back this fall but will move to Friday nights at 9 (thanks Jay). That's probably not a good thing.

ohbarf

This may have been discussed already but on our ABC station every other word is getting Bleeped out. What is up with that ?? My son lives in the DC area and he said that doesn't happen on his TV?? I told him that every time there is a cuss word you here BEEP and their mouth is still moving. Not like you can't fill in the "beep" so why would they do this? I wondered if this is going on in other areas?

August 08 2009 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dana

I did not know it was over until I discovered this site. I LOVED THE SHOW!!! BRING IT BACK - I DON'T CARE WHEN IT COMES ON I WILL WATCH IT. The characters were true to life as well as the action. I used to work for LAPD and felt the people I worked with come back to life. Please don't disappoint us bring the show back.

June 04 2009 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
max

song = what was it you wanted, willie nelson

May 24 2009 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

I too, am gobsmacked that many people are just now picking up on the fact that Cooper is gay. I knew at the end of the first episode. He's in a bar that has no women in it, across the bar from the male prostitute that his vice cop friends had arrested earlier that night. The bartender is a very sexy looking guy wearing a tight white tank top. Um, duh?

May 24 2009 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gerry hunter

i think willie nelson is singing the song at the end of the episode does anyone know the name of it? Great show first time i watched it!

May 23 2009 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gerry hunter's comment
jill

I thought it was Willie Nelson too, but then I thought it had to be somebody else who just likes Willlie's style, because there was something missing in the voice. Who knows?

May 23 2009 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I must have missed an episode - where was Russell staying when he was away? Did he decide to have the affair?
I had a hard time hearing some of conversation with Sal on the phone, I probably missed something there.

May 23 2009 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I absolutely love this show. I didn't know this was the final episode of the season though!
I for one would never want to be a witness after watching what that poor girl goes through. She is losing her only family her friends, school .. everything and has been hunted down and shot at multiple times.. it's horrible to think that that may actually happen.
I can't stand Ms. crazy herself.. and her wacky dog.. (Sam's g/f) She drives me nuts I for one hope they never get married and hope that they don't start a family.
And as for Russel getting shot.. I loved him I was hoping he would stay around I was shocked but as someone else mentioned it is a dose of reality with all that is going on with the economy.
Oh and yes.. he's gay and it's obvious!!

May 22 2009 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Love the show - very well acted. This particular group of actors has been waiting for lead roles like this. I also like the ensemble feel - it could feel disjointed but somehow it flows. I really like Hatosy and Alejandro and Regina King - very realistic portrayals of smart, caring cops.

Can't wait for next season.

May 22 2009 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meeno01

I thought when Russell went over to invite the neighbors to the bbq, it was stupid to begin with, because it would have taken all the attention away from everyone having a good time, to everyone focusing on the fighting couple. I didnt think he would be shot though. Lydia was awesome with the shotgun! The detectives have a lead now on Marta, because they should know that the witness' boyfriend was the only one that knew about her location. Overall, I thought this was a great show, can't wait for the next season! (although since they are moving it to fridays, i probably wont catch it until the weekend)

May 22 2009 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkny

now that's a season finale - even though the season was way too short this show has legs - I was totaly into last night - we need these big budget shows and i'm glad they are taking chances and covering a lot of ground - and yes he's clearly gay which works in a very cool way given his persona - loved that guy in band of brothers

May 22 2009 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply