December 20, 2014

WIll Scrubs become the Christopher Turk, M.D. show?

by Mike Moody, posted May 22nd 2009 12:00PM
Scrubs Donald FaisonWhat will the upcoming ninth season of Scrubs look like? Only ABC and show creator Bill Lawrence know the answer to that question.

During the network's recent upfront presentation, ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson said Lawrence was playing with two possible scenarios for the show, one of which is "a complete rethinking" and the other a simple continuation of the format with a new cast.

Either way, things will be different. And with star Zach Braff signed on for only six episodes next season and Sarah Chalke not looking to return full-time, it seems like this might be Donald Faison's time to shine. Or bomb terribly. It could go either way, really.

ABC didn't pick up Faison's pilot, The Law, which frees the actor up to appear on Scrubs for a full season. EW's Michael Ausiello seems convinced that ABC and Lawrence will build a new version of Scrubs around Faison's Dr. Turk, possibly moving the action out of Sacred Heart Hospital to a medical school.

That idea doesn't sound too crazy, considering Lawrence has said the following about the show's next season: "The way that I'm viewing it is the way Frasier was to Cheers: It'll be essentially a new show with some characters that people liked."

I wouldn't mind a show about Dr. Turk schooling a bunch of med students. The idea seems fresh enough. Plus, Faison is hilarious. And creating a whole new show might be the right thing to do, considering this year's season finale seemed like a proper series finale. But, like Lawrence bluntly told EW, it might end up sucking "in a huge way."

What do you say, Scrubs fans? Would you give Scrubs: The Turk Chronicles a chance?

Seb

NOOOO!!!

Why couldn't they have just let scrubs end in the beautiful way it did??
Now they're just going to milk it dry, anyone who likes scrubs should remember season 8 as the Finale of the show, as this is destined to pull a 'Joey'

May 26 2009 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davide

I don't know...

Turk is a great character, but the finale was just perfect, and it was, most of all, the FINALE. In italian finale means "ending", "la stagione finale" means "the ending season".

The show was amazing, and I loved every second of it, but to me is over... "Scrubs: The second coming" or "Scrubs: the Turk is back" wouldn't even be close to the original.. No JD, no Elliot, no Carla (Judy Reyes is leaving the show too, right?), no Kelso (he left to become a traveling doctor), maybe no Janitor (Neil Flynn has a new sitcom, I don't know if he can star in both of them). What is left? Turk, Cox, interns... Hootch (he is crazy, BTW) :)

My Finale last scene made me cry, and it just doesn't seem fair to take it back...

May 25 2009 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Russ

I'll give it a shot. I feel like I have to after investing so much into the show already. Do we know anything else about the rest of the cast?

May 22 2009 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

Turk-centric Scrubs would be cool

Not sure why they'd have to take him out of Sacred Heart - it is a teaching hospital after all.

May 22 2009 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

As a medical student I've run into many residents who have told me, repeatedly, that Scrubs is the most realistic medical show there is on TV, (yes more than ER).

Taking such realism and moving it to medical school sounds like a great idea. I've often thought about what my life would be like on a TV show and realized the show would suck. But that's because the first two years of life are spent pouring over books. The last two years you still pour over books but you have less time to do it since 8-24 hours a day are spent in hospitals, and THAT'S where it gets interesting.

May 22 2009 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

Fresh start is best - if M*A*S*H, Golden Girls, Friends, and Threes Company couldn't do, the odds are not in Scrubs favor.

May 22 2009 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

They should just let this show die already. It was great in its day, but it's time is long over. "My Finale" should have been the show's finale. Of course, we always expected it to end with JD and Elliot getting married, so maybe that's where they'll go. But at this point I feel as though I don't need to see it.

Now, if they change Scrubs into a show where Turk and Carla are running from a Terminator named "Cromartie" I might tune in to watch that.

May 22 2009 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I think the only way I'll really be happy with a new season of "Scrubs", after that amazing finale, would be if things WERE considerably different for a new season.

Not having J.D.'s voiceovers will be a start, but if they definitely featured Turk as the "lead" (which would be a way to get Braff into those 6 episodes, since Turk and J.D. are still soulmates) and distinguished the show enough with that change, I think it could work.

May 22 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

Producers need to figure out how to break the paradox of "keep it fresh by changing up the whole location of the show" with "your dedicated followers love the way you wrapped up all the storylines they watched for 8 years so 6 months later please don't change it all on them."

Turk just got promoted to chief of surgery or whatever the heck his new title is. He's married to Carla who has been a nurse there longer than any of them were doctors. So while that's still fresh in our memory you're going to have him teaching at a medical school? Trapper John had that imaginary "Let's transplant this one character from this one series 20 years into the future" flexibility. Scrubs doesn't have that.

May 22 2009 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I like how he was careful to say what, "Frasier was to Cheers," and not what, "Joey was to Friends."

May 22 2009 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply