July 26, 2014

Spoilers Anonymous

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 23rd 2009 6:15PM

This is Spoilers Anonymous, a weekly column here at TV Squad where we supply you with the dirt on some of the more popular shows on the air. We'll never put spoilers up here on the main page in order to help the reformed stay unspoiled. If you have anything to add to the group, feel free to step up and let yourself be heard, either with our tips form or by emailing us at tvsquad at gmail dot com, or call and leave a message at (775) 640-8479. Your anonymity is guaranteed, if you wish to remain as such.

This week we have: Glee, 24, Melrose Place, Grey's Anatomy, Chuck, Scrubs and Fringe (SPOILERS FOLLOW!)

Scrubs

• Sarah Chalke may or may not be returning for the ninth season of the just-renewed ABC series. "I actually don't know yet what I'm going to do, but I will very soon," she told E! "Regardless, I'm excited that the show got picked up again and it's going to go another year." One reason she might be hesitant to sign a contract: her new Lifetime miniseries, Maneater, is being considered for a series of its own. [Watch With Kristin]

Glee

• If you watched the pilot episode of Glee last week (I loved it!), you know that Will's wife is kind of nutso (making him give up the glee club for a real job? Bah!), and that Will and Emma are a match made in heaven. Word is that Will won't cheat on his wife. I'm sort of glad about that, even though I want him and Emma together. If it's true love, they'll find a way. [The Ausiello Files]

Melrose Place

• The classic '90s primetime soap is coming back to The CW this fall, and Michael Ausiello's got the goods on the dead body floating face down in the trademark pool in the opening segment. It's Laura Leighton's ex-stripper Sydney! "I'm told her death will set in motion a season-long murder mystery that finds nearly all of the show's principal characters -- particularly Syd's ex, Michael (Thomas Calabro) -- a possible suspect," writes Ausiello. [The Ausiello Files]

• Intel is starting to roll in on season 8 of 24. The Prez's whiny-ass daughter Olivia is headed for the slammer, and while Ethan Kanin re-secured his Chief of Staff job at the end of season 7, he's not staying. Chris Diamantopoulos (Debra Messing's gay BFF on The Starter Wife), has signed to play the new COS, Rob Weiss. The series will move to NYC, where a visiting foreign leader (Slumdog Millionaire's Anil Kapoor), is threatened with assassination. I was a little bored this season, so I hope they shake things up in NYC. [The Ausiello Files]

Chuck

• Wondering whether Chuck and Sarah start next season off as a full-fledged couple? Apparently, the Intersect in Chuck's will complicate things. Also, look for a new love interest to be thrown into the mix. [The Ausiello Files]

Fringe

• What the...? According to Kirk Acevedo's Facebook status, he's been fired! Man, that sucks! Just when his character, Charlie Francis, was getting interesting. Then again, I'm hoping that Acevedo is just messing with us. According to exec producer Jeff Pinkner, we'll actually be seeing more of Agent Francis in season 2. Or maybe ... the "other" Agent Francis ... ? [Spoiler TV]

Grey's Anatomy

• We know that the lives of both Izzie and George are hanging in the balance. Here's an interesting idea: while T.R. Knight is leaving the show, his character just might be staying. After George's tragic accident, his face is just a shadow of its former self, and with plastic surgeon Mark Sloan on staff, he could emerge as a brand new person. Hmmm, wonder who they'll cast to play George next season. Any thoughts? [The Ausiello Files]

C. Hernandez

Bruce, I don't get why you seem to think actors shouldn't want to have an enjoying, fulfilling job, just like the rest of us. Leaving one show for a chance at a more fulfilling show or movie is no different than an office worker who leaves for a new company or a teacher who leaves for a new school (other than the actor makes more money).

May 24 2009 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Shadowracer I agree with what you're saying - but I don't agree that leaving the show is a proper thing to do because an actor in a multi-character, ensemble show, isn't getting the best storylines at the moment. The actor is still on the show and still getting paid the same. And for what it's worth, as much as I hate Meredith Grey, the show is "Grey's Anatomy" not "O'Malley's Anatomy" so he should quit whining. Leave the whining about bad storylines to us.

And yes, it's a lame daytime soap thing to take off his face and make look like (and played by) someone else. BUT, *if* he is going to leave the show for such a lame reason, then I guess I'm willing to put up with it. Obviously he's never going to look the same. The only question is whether he is horrible scarred and deformed (looked pretty bad) or whether they get Sloan to fix it, as he's done to plenty of other people on the show. I think it would be rather unbelievable if Sloan made him look exactly like he did before the accident, so... if the actor is gone, why not get someone else to play him?

They wouldn't be doing it as a cheap publicity stunt, but rather out of necessity - because the show needs Knight and cannot afford to lose another original character. I agree things have gotten bad since Isaiah Washington left, though I think that's just correlation rather than causation. My theory is that the writers have gotten lazy, and decided to rest on their own laurels. GA was never a show with an overall plan for it's plot - just good looking doctors having sex with each other. That is it.

I still wonder why I watch GA. It's not the type of show I normally watch. I started watching it because it looked like an interesting medical show about interns (go back and watch the pilot episode and compare it to the show now... jesus h. christ). It declined at a fairly linear rate and I just kept watching even though I should have stopped after season 3. I think I can pinpoint the exact moment the show crossed the line with its negatives overwhelming its positives - Izzy's cutting of Denny's LVAD wire. I hated the whole Denny thing, and once she cut the wire, I should have just turned it off. But they got me. I kept watching. Partly out of morbid curiosity, partly becuse there are so few scripted shows on TV and nothing else on to watch - I'd rather see the worst episode of GA than any reality show.

I don't think they can get a new showrunner, because wuzherface Rimes is the show's creator ("attractive doctors having sex and saving lives" - how creative!). I don't know how much she contributes to the overall plots and writing, so maybe all we need is to fire the writers and get a fresh new batch. Or just cancel the show - I don't want to see Meredith and Derrick have a real wedding and then split up, get together again, get married again, split up again, etc. ad nauseum.

May 24 2009 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Is it absolutely confirmed TR Night is leaving Grey's Anatomy? I've heard the rumors about both he and Heigl but never a confirmed departure.

Regardless, I was thinking this same thing - that if he does leave they'll get someoen with a similar sounding voice to play him after they have Sloan do a "rebecca" (or whatever that girl's name was) to his face, making him look like someone else completely. It wouldn't be a bad idea, and I think the show would suffer without O'Malley. Same with Heigle.

Why is being on a top, hit, highly popular TV show, and getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollar per episode not enough for these people? They want a movie career? Okay, well they can do that too, Heigle's shown that. At least Heigle has a movie career, the same can't be said for TR Knight. Unless he wants to leave acting alltogether, I think leaving GA will be a huge mistake for him. He's a good actor, but that doesn't mean he'll make it in the movies.

May 24 2009 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
shadowracer

Those accusations aren't really fair, the writers haven't given either of them s@!t to work with. Both of those characters are a bore.

Getting rid of any of the original cast is a bad idea, the show hasn't been the same without Isaiah Washington.

They need to fire the entire writing staff, replace them and get a new show runner. Giving George a new face is daytime soap crap, the writers are done.

Fingers cross they get a patient that ends up being an alien from another planet... now that would be interesting.

May 24 2009 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricky19

NOOOOO francis isn't dead hes lying, got hacked, maby schizo, but if so could astrids last name be francis?

May 23 2009 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ricky19's comment
大宝宝

Most upset if Kirk Acevedo is really gone, I actually prefer Agent Francis to Agent Dunham at this point. Astrid's last name is Farnsworth, sorry.

May 23 2009 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply