December 21, 2014

Cake Boss needs to be more like Housewives, less like Ace of Cakes

by Joel Keller, posted May 26th 2009 11:02AM
Cake BossAfter the big Jon & Kate premiere last night ("Look, honey! They're not sitting on the couch together! They must be getting a divorce!"), TLC premiered their new series, Cake Boss. It features Buddy Valastro, owner and head pastry chef at Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, NJ, and shows how he runs the bakery along with his very Jersey family. Think about a cross between Ace of Cakes and The Real Housewives of New Jersey, and you'll get an idea of what's going on here: lots of hand gesturing and swearing being thrown around with the fondant and buttercream.

At least that's what the preview episode the network aired about a month ago showed. It was loud and obnoxious and looked like a lot of fun. Last night's premiere, though, concentrated more on the funky cake-making aspect of the job than the interpersonal relations between Buddy and his crew. What a snooze.

Ace of Cakes was always one of the few Food Network shows that bored me to tears, because watching cakes being made does nothing for me (and the AoC crew's stoner antics make me feel like I've smoked a couple after a rich dessert... all I want to do is curl up in a ball and fall asleep). What intrigued me about Cake Boss was the Hoboken setting -- it's a second home to me, because I went to college there -- and everyone's oh-so-Hudson County demeanor. We need to see more of that going forward, or else it's going to live a very short life. I mean, who needs to see two shows where people build a Statue of Liberty out of angel food cake?

Alice

I watch this show every week and i just love it .Wish i lived near by so i could see the bakery for my self .With all the cakes and desserts they do sometimes tempers fly!But they are all family and they will always stand behind each other no matter what!Hooray for Carlos and his crew!Great show close knit family tempers fly but also alot of love there too!

August 02 2009 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shane

I watched a preview of the show that's coming up. Do they REALLY not know a duck from a goose?

June 29 2009 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jo jo

to be honest i really think most of yall are hating. I love the show. If yal had like a million orders to fill and someone messed up the process yall would get mad and yell too. This man has a talent and can make incredibly beautiful cakes so honestly can you tell me how the show is so disgusting?

June 27 2009 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shane

This disfunctional show nothing but screaming and yelling using poor english, so it's too gross for me. 18 and counting doesn't make sense since the world is already overpopulated. Matt of the Little People has gotten too full of himself. Table for 12 doesn't have much going for it- they kind of remind me of lesser Jon & Kate. The Little Couple holds one's interest for a little while. Motorcyle's aren't of interest to everybody either.
Maybe it's time to watch movies instead TLC.

June 26 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shane

my friends tell me that the show is disgusting. I only watched a few minutes and never again.

June 21 2009 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shane

Can TLC find something that the viewers can watch without a lot controverse? There must be something out that either educational or entertaining. When CAKE BOSS is on I'll be searching the net for something worthwhile to watch. I'm sorry I can't be a fan of CAKE BOSS.

June 20 2009 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shane

I tried watching the show, but all the yelling gave me a headache & turned my stomach. I didn't realize that their are families like that. I won't be watching it again. I prefer entertainment.

June 20 2009 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moneyremix

Why TLC is the crappiest channel on television ... :http://tinyurl.com/n2w2nw

June 15 2009 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to moneyremix's comment
DH

I don't know about TLC being the crappiest network, but I felt like Cake Boss was way over the top. It was almost like Buddy tries to see how mean he can be to his employees. I guess that's supposed to help the ratings, but it turns me off completely! His cakes do seem technically superior to Ace's, but I can't stomach the constant belittling of everyone around him. He needs to take a chill pill!

June 18 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TK101

Ace of Cakes is a terrific show. I won't watch this one.

TK

May 26 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to TK101's comment
Sharon

Amen! Aces of Cakes rocks! Cake Boss is boring, and lack luster. People who throw tantrums are of no interest to me.

July 03 2009 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

yay another show perpetuating the jersey stereotype that most people in jersey arent like. awesome, great job.

May 26 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply