April 23, 2014

Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern? Yes, please

by Mike Moody, posted May 26th 2009 12:07PM
Casting Captain Hammer as Hal Jordan? This might be the only way Hollywood could make up for giving us a Whedon-less Buffy movie.

This nerdtastic fan-created Green Lantern movie trailer made my morning. The idea of Nathan Fillion filling out the green tights is inspired, but the fun doesn't stop there. DC Comics fans will notice this thing features cameos from some of their favorite Green Lantern Corps members. (I think I saw Kilowog in there). Plus it's fun trying to name the movies/TV shows the videomaker pulled from to create his vision. It features a good chunk from the Star Trek trailer, as well as some scenes from Firefly and probably every Nathan Fillion movie ever made.

Last month, I wrote about supporting Terminator's Brian Austin Green in his attempt to land the role of Green Lantern. But now I'm torn. I think Fillion would be perfect for the role. From what I remember, Hal Jordan is basically Firefly's Captain Mal minus some of the overt snarkiness or cynicism. So, come on Hollywood. Fillion is kinda sorta becoming a household name these days. Do us nerds a solid and audition the guy for the role before you hand it to Bradley Cooper.

[Via EW]

Kcat10

Nathan Fillion would be brilliant as The Green Lantern. (He'd make an amazing Captain America, too.) He is built to play Superheroes, yet his acting range is so great that he can just as easily play the Everyman. When the WB sees our passionate support for Nathan, I bet age won't matter one little bit. He is young, strong, and beautiful. He is in the perfect age range to play a Superhero with depth, power, and gravitas. He is a man's man and a genuine artist in his craft. All this, and he is a wonderfully awesome human being. Nathan Fillion is simply the best, better than all the rest, and he has my total support. Kcat

May 30 2009 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Everything I am reading states that the WB is adamant that the actor be under 30 (ageist!!!) and that Chris Pine is currently at the top of the heap to be considered. Absolute GAG on that choice, Nathan looked good, maybe even Bradley Cooper but if Pine is the one there is NO way I would go see that movie. Sorry but I think he SUCKED in the Star Trek movie. WB only wants him as they think his looks will horny up the teens to go see it, and not concerned as to the actual quality of the film. Hal Jordan IS slightly older, his character has freaking grey streaks on the sides of his head for crying out loud. Oh well, as usual the fans in the fanvid did a WAY better job than the actual people who will produce the movie, who are only concerned with getting an actor who will look good shaking his ass and not concerned if he is actually right for the ROLE.

May 29 2009 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cpt. Hammer

Nathan is a fantastic actor, check out what a great job he does as Castle, there is no Mal in Castle, just like there was no Hammer in Mal.

May 27 2009 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SiobhanB

Wow, that was fun! I'm so impressed what a person can do with a PC and some good software. Kudos to the creator. Clips I think I recognized: Star Trek, Star Trek (various series clips), Heroes, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Watchmen, Firefly, Serenity.

The music was perfect - very epic and superhero-like. Didn't recognize it, though. Anyone know?

I'd watch this in a minute. Been a fan of Fillion since his One Life To Live days. Thanks for posting it.

May 27 2009 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gustavo Brunetti

If you're eager to cast someone from the Whedon-verse, I think a good call would be the guy who played Gunn (Yes, I prefer the black Green Lantern). He can be the Fearless-Straight-Arrow

May 27 2009 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gustavo Brunetti's comment
Anita

I might agree with that, but I'm up in the air. I was trying to think of the names of actors who might do a good job playing Hal Jordan and all I could come up with is Larry Fishburne, but then I realized he'd probably be best suited to playing John Stewart - But, I wonder if anyone can come up with suggestions outside Fillion for Hal J -

May 27 2009 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Umm yes? I can easily see him pulling off the role due to the reboot of the whole title for the past few years.

May 27 2009 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I agree with 1-6. Filion is great, but I could see him more as Kyle R., who deals with snark, more than Hal J. who is just one of the rocks of the justice league foundation.

May 26 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dirk2112

If nothing else Fillion would be a perfect way to avoid a Chris Pine-starrin' disaster.

May 26 2009 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
digitalred93

Fillion would be brilliant and YES he can do action - just watch Serenity and you'll see.

Someone get this to Warner Bros (DC Comics parent company) ASAP -- please. I grew up reading GL and love this interpretation.

May 26 2009 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply