December 18, 2014

Should Shatner be in the next Star Trek movie?

by Bob Sassone, posted May 26th 2009 8:18AM
ShatnerSo William Shatner says he hasn't seen the new Star Trek movie yet. But he says that he knows it has gotten some great reviews and he's really looking forward to seeing it. He also says he'd delighted to be in the next movie.

So what do you think? Is having Shatner in the next movie a great way to please old Trek fans or do you think having yet another character from the original series would be pushing it, considering they already had Leonard Nimoy in the first one (which is pretty much how I'm leaning)?

Should Shatner be in the next Trek movie?
Yes! He's Captain Kirk for crying out loud!570 (37.3%)
No way. It would be contrived and lame705 (46.2%)
Yes, but only if he plays Denny Crane252 (16.5%)

angel

For crying out loud show the man some respect, I guess we have rookies here not true Star Trek fans.

June 04 2009 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

He was in the first Next Generation one and that was stretch. What is going to be Grandpa Kirk? I say leave him out of it. They played with time enough to explain this new universe, let it be. I love TOS but let it be. Shatner just wants to be in the spotlight again and frankly he just ain't it this alternate time line.

May 31 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aurel

So NOW he wants to be a part of the new movies. I love how he was supposed to be in the latest one alongside Leonard Nimoy (well, as a recorded message, what with his character being dead), but turned it down because it wasn't big enough a role. And then turns around and tells everyone and their mother that he was upset he wasn't asked to be in it.
No, Shatner, they can't fire the Pine kid. Even CGI has its limits, they can't make you look like you're twenties, ask Patrick Stewart, the giant bottoxed baby from Wolverine.

May 27 2009 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

why would they want to do that? I'm not a fan of Trek but at least the new guy is believable as a ladies' man. He's got charm, charisma, a bit of bad-boy and sarcasm. Shatner had... a pig face and a pudgy body. How all he has is the pig face. No charm, no cool, no fight, no verve and no wit...what exactly did he bring to the series?

May 26 2009 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Having this Shatner play an older Kirk would show how messed up this Star Trek universe will end up being. Sure, Kirk lives to old age, but he doesn't take care of himself. In the REAL universe, Kirk dies young in glory.

May 26 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruce

maybe they could fit in/redo the 'Court Martial' episode, and have him defended by Denny Crane.

May 26 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph

Hell, I thought even having Nimoy in there felt forced and painful. Especially that end voiceover.

May 26 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

I say yes to giving Bill a part. Just not Kirk or any variant of JT Kirk. He ain't Kirk no more (or Denny Crane or TJ Hooker either). But, he was Kirk and a fine actor (comedic esp these days) and he deserves his due. Maybe he coulb be the young Kirk's relative, living on a remote planet (Tribble world?)

Comon, JJ, be nice to your elders who made the old series the treasure it is...

May 26 2009 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hashbrown_Hunter

Shatner looks COMPLETELY different from when he was Kirk. Imagine how awkward it would be if him and Chris Pine were on screen together? People would never believe that Shatner was once Kirk (in terms of this new movie franchise).

And the cameo from Leonard Nimoy was so well done that if they tried to do another with Shatner it would come off as nothing more than useless winks at fans.

The past is gone as well as the old characters. All I want to see is the future of this new franchise. Shatner is NOT in that future.

May 26 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Callie K. Fox

No. God, please, no. I've been a fan of Star Trek since before I could form a coherent sentence. (I still can't form a coherent sentence, so let's say 'since my dad started me watching it at two.') I could not value Shatner's original work as Kirk more dearly to my heart.

However, Shatner has not bothered to take care of his body over the past 40 years. He's overweight, blotchy, and unhealthy looking. He is no longer James T. Kirk. I imagine he could play some minor side character, but he is NOT, absolutely NOT the embodiment of the way I imagine Kirk having aged. The character of Kirk is bigger and so obviously more immortal than he is. The idea of the next movie in the franchise contorting itself to fit in Shatner, who let his prime go ages ago, makes me a little nauseous.

I want to see this new franchise capture the wonder and excitement of the television burned into my earliest memories. I don't want to see it dragged down by actors who've let themselves go clinging onto it tooth and nail to the ghosts of former glory. I heard about Shatner's behavior being offered a cameo in this movie and turning it down because the role wasn't big enough. I think that about covers how gracious and modest Shatner is capable of being. At this point, nobody owes him a thing. He needs to learn when to gracefully bow out.

May 26 2009 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Callie K. Fox's comment
jamestreee

C'mon! The man is nearly 80 years old, and considering that, he looks really good! As was once said by 'Bernie' on Cacoon "...most people our age are dead..."

June 11 2009 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply