April 17, 2014

Sneak Peek: NBC's Parenthood

by Bob Sassone, posted May 26th 2009 12:34PM
It probably strikes some people as odd that a network would greenlight a show in 2009-2010 that's based on a movie from 1989 that was later made into a series in 1990 (one of the writers on that version was Joss Whedon). But this seems like a natural for a network family sitcom, and it least it has some good people behind it: producers Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, director Thomas Schlamme, and cast members Peter Krause and Maura Tierney. Could be worth checking out.

SB

Can someone explain to me the difference between this show and ABC's Brothers and Sisters?

June 12 2009 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yoshiville

Wow, Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's company Imagine Entertainment only seems to put out really good stuff. (1) Arrested Development, (2) 24, (3) FNL, etc. I would say 75-80% of their stuff is solid. Why can't more production companies create higher quality stuff.

Plus their movies are pretty good too. I am quite the Ron Howard mark.

May 26 2009 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Yoshiville's comment
Justin

Perhaps the company's focus on TV is the reason why DaVinci and A&D were so horrific?

May 27 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

I'm a little wary of the soundtrack, although I'm hoping that what they're using here is just for promo purposes. Not that it's bad, but it sounds like it's aiming for the smallville market or something. The actual show looks good.

May 26 2009 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

The Bay Area locations look amazing. Could this be, for once, an actually decent representation of the Berkeley/Oakland area of California?

May 26 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MarcDom7's comment
PB

Now, let's not go crazy!! LOL! The locations do look very real to me, though.

May 26 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hecklerz

I've read that quite a bit is being filmed in Sausalito/Southern Marin... so yes it will be a very good depiction of Oakland... I kid! :)

I've always thought shows filmed in the sf bay area has a nice "feel" to them (even if they weren't great shows). I'll be checking this one out.

May 26 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

This looks pretty good, actually! I loved the movie and didn't like the 1990 series at all. I might give this version a chance, though.

May 26 2009 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply