October 25, 2014

And the funniest TV phrase of all-time is ...

by Bob Sassone, posted May 27th 2009 7:01PM
Seinfeld... not what you think it is, probably. Last night NBC had The 50 Funniest Phrases of All-Time special, and here are the top ten phrases. For the whole list, click here.

The top 50 list is pretty good, but this top ten has several lame entries, eh?

1. "Yada, yada, yada" (Seinfeld)
2. "Doh!" (The Simpsons)
3. "How you doin'?" (Friends)
4. "Ayyyyy" (Happy Days)
5. "We are two wild and crazy guys!" (Saturday Night Live)
6. "Burn" (That 70s Show)
7. "Oh my God, they killed Kenny!" (South Park)
8. "Lucy, you've got some 'splainin to do" (I Love Lucy)
9. "Excuuuuuuuse Me" (Saturday Night Live)
10. "Homey don't play dat" (In Living Color)

Bookiesmare

Maybe she's the one? Peep Show

July 05 2009 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

nothing about "frak me" or "mother frakker" ?

May 28 2009 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

If that had been "Top 50 most quoted TV Phrases", I'd buy it, but as a "funniest" list, it's pretty lame.

As another poster mentioned, how can 30 Rock not have a single entry? "I want to go to there" is easily funnier than "yada yada yada" which wasn't really funny at all.

May 28 2009 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

No love for "Hey now?"

May 28 2009 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

Also, it seems like the list is misnamed. None of these are particularly funny, it looks like they were actually going for most memorable, which is completely different, and which they still failed miserably at, but it at least fits this list a little better.

May 28 2009 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

"Yada, yada, yada" sucks. No way it should be number one or even on the list. There are easily 10 better phrases just from the same show, not to mention every other show ever created. Sounds like someone decided Seinfeld was the funniest show, then had someone who had never seen it, and didn't care very much, try to come up with the most memorable phrase from it, and they failed miserably. Seriously, "master of your domain," "I don't want to be a pirate," "...not that there's anything wrong with that," "spongeworthy," "no soup for you," I could go on and on and on just from Seinfeld before getting to something as crappy as "yada, yada, yada." My vote would have been for "...and you want to be my latex salesman."

May 28 2009 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cathy

"Norm!"

May 28 2009 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

How can "d'oh" not be No. 1?? It's so great it's a common English expression now! I can count on one finger the times I've ever heard anyone say "yada yada yada" in conversation and I can count on zero fingers the times it was funny.

May 28 2009 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Observer

No no no, you must include "Dynomiiite", that one word made JJ a household name.

May 28 2009 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darsh

As expected, this NBC special featured quotes from NBC shows. I love Seinfeld, but "yada, yada, yada" never did it for me. It's not like they invented the phrase or anything.

I agree, no "Whatchu talkin' about Willis"? I wasn't even around for this quote and I know it's legendary. Props to an Arrested Development quote though. Personally, I like "Her?" or "Come on!".

May 28 2009 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Darsh's comment
Will

I agree, Darsh. Instead of doing an authentic list of the best and most popular TV catch-phrases of all time, NBC just decided to engage in self-promotion instead. "Yada yada yada" was hardly the funniest of all time and "How you doin" from "Friends" shouldn't even be on the list, let alone in the top ten. This is a joke.

May 28 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply