September 20, 2014

Being Human revels in Brits being inhuman

by John Scott Lewinski, posted May 27th 2009 10:02AM
Being HumanThe success of Doctor Who at the BBC opened up the doors to new sci-fi shows across the broadcaster's various networks. Now, a new BBC American co-production explores the difficult problems of being a teenage monster in today's society.

Being Human examines the lives of three 20-somethings and their secret double-lives as a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost.

Starring Doctor Who guest stars Russell Tovey and Lenora Crichlow with Aidan Turner (The Clinic), each episode features housemates trying to live normal lives, despite their bizarre secrets.

Following in Doctor Who footsteps with other shows like The Sarah Jane Adventures, Primeval, K9 and others, Being Human should prove a welcome addition to the Brit sci-fi family tree. With glimpses of dark comedy interspersed with the drama, it might click with the Twilight crowd.

With the exception of a few productions like Battlestar Galactica on SyFy or Fringe on Fox, American networks tend to shy away from science fiction in favor of borderline paranormal shows like Medium or Ghost Whisperer. So, fans of the genre better root for productions like this on BBC America to keep the sci-fi gears greased.

Richard Lawler

Love this show, downloaded it when it aired in the UK, definitely worth watching.

May 28 2009 at 6:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Been looking forward to this one since they announced BBCA was going to show it this summer back in Feb.

I wonder when they're going to announce an air date for the Survivors remake.

May 27 2009 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juliette

I quite like Being Human, but it needs to find the funny - I find it a bit too earnest. It's fun spotting places I know in Bristol though!

Juliette, www.popclassicsjg.blogspot.com

May 27 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tania

Being human was excellent. I think almost everyone could relate to a storyline even being human. Unfortunately for ProDelgado the series has been renewed for a second season.

As for comparing it to Twilight... not even close. The show is leaps and bounds over that movie. I'd compare it less to other vampire movies or tv shows and more with you average drama with a slight supernatural twist. Just looking for somewhere to belong and fit in. People who can understand to a degree.

May 27 2009 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryan

I found the ghost and vampire stories to be very interesting... the werewolf story was the least interesting to me. Biggest complaint is that there were only a handful of episodes, like so many British series do.

May 27 2009 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ProDelgado

The pilot showed great potential, but I thought that the actual series itself was really weak, particular the last two episodes. Hopefully it won't be renewed.

May 27 2009 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

Jees, why does everythign with vampires have to be compared to Twilight???

This series was great! I'd compare it more to American Werewolf in London/Interview with the Vampire crossed with Coupling (the UK version)

Funny in places, really dark in places & a decent amount of gore for the horror fans (especially the werewolf transformation & the vampires feeding)

May 27 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

I hoping for a bit more Buffy and alot less Twilight. (To put it nicely). One of these did monster=metaphor for teenage angst/life changes alot better than the other. But I'll give it a try if I can.

May 27 2009 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

This is an excellent show, well worth watching. It's sort of the Platonian ideal of every youth-market sci-fi show the CW has ever attempted.

May 27 2009 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply