July 23, 2014

Do we have an answer to the Grey's Anatomy cliffhanger?

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 28th 2009 11:03AM
george and izzie grey's anatomy

This season's Grey's Anatomy ended on quite a tense note, with both George and Izzie's lives hanging in the balance. Izzie, of course, had been battling cancer for most of the season, while George was hit and then dragged down the street by a bus after pushing a young woman out of the way. The episode ended with both characters flat-lining, leaving fans to agonize for months over who survives. Now, however, it looks as though we may have an answer.

Both of the actors in question, Katherine Heigl and T.R. Knight, have made no secret of their displeasure with the show and their respective storylines as of late. Heigl pulled her name out of Emmy consideration last year, while Knight reportedly asked to be let out of his contract this past December. The behind-the-scenes grumbling has led to a great deal of speculation about who may live and who may die, but now E! Online's Marc Malkin is reporting that he knows the fate of at least one of those two characters.

Malkin reports that according to "multiple sources," George O'Malley will no longer be roaming the halls of Seattle Grace. Apparently, he has become so fed up with his lack of screen time this season, that it has caused a huge rift between him and Grey's creator Shonda Rhimes. One source even says, "He hates her, and she hates him."

Just because George is dying doesn't necessarily mean that Izzie is going to survive. While Heigl is placing her name back into Emmy consideration, she has seemed to be angling for a way out of her contract, as well. There's a chance that when Grey's starts up again, both members of "Gizzy" could be gone.

George being dead makes total sense to me. He was so physically ruined after his accident, that it would take months, if not years to recover. Even with the magic of television, the amount of makeup and prosthetics that playing that role would require is surely daunting. If George survived, surely his recovery would be a major storyline, but would Knight really want to spend the entire season in a hospital bed?

Izzie, on the other hand, managed to keep her hotness all throughout her cancer, chemo, and multiple surgeries. She could easily be brought back to life and go back to her former swimsuit-model self. For all of her complaining, Heigl got some pretty stellar material this season, and it's a lot easier to come back from a pretty illness than an ugly accident.

What do you think? Do you believe these reports, or are you convinced that George is going to live?

Who's dying on Grey's Anatomy?
George. His face was SMASHED IN!675 (44.9%)
Izzie. She has tumors EVERYWHERE!21 (1.4%)
Both of them. The actors want out of their contracts.616 (40.9%)
Neither. They're too important to the show.193 (12.8%)

ciel

Izzie is my favourtie character. Have you seen the bloopers of Grey´s anatomy? Really funny, specially that one where george makes a mistake: http://hahaha-havealaugh.blogspot.com

June 04 2009 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

Let TR Knight leave. At least he had a job every week! Most of these actors that think the grass is greener once they leave a series are never heard of again. Where are 90% of these actors now? I say let him leave and see where he ends up! In theater? Let's see if that pays the bills. He's dispensable........ good ideas on another actor taking his place and Dr. Sloan can make him a new man! The show will survive without TR Knight even though I liked him at one time.

May 30 2009 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

I'm thinking that, as actors, their primary motivation isn't necessarily just how much money they're making and whether or not it's a hit show. Actors also like to WORK and they like to grow and expand and branch out and improve. Bigger storylines and bigger focus for your character(and you) keeps you busy as a working actor and makes you more marketable and more desirable for other projects. For an actor, high visibility is valuable, laying low and collecting a fat paycheck, even on a top-rated show, isn't.

May 29 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Denise's comment
Lily

I agree. If I were TR Knight I would be upset by having so few storylines, not the money factor. George and Izzie were the BEST of friends and yet the writers couldn't even write him in to have him support her during her cancer treatments. The only episode that focused on him this year was that stupid prank episode where George kept plugging away on the electronic patient that the chief kept talking through. Really lame. TR Knight hasn't claimed to be leaving for better roles. I think he's just taking his chances that he'll get to actually work if he gets off Grey's. I love Lexie and I have grown to love Alex, but with the growing cast something had to give. I'm sorry it was the George character that turned out to be expendable.

May 30 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Moe

I love grey's its number two on my dvr i will watch the show if knights there or not, but i would rather he stay. i dont c y he is complaining about screen time i havent seen him in any movies or a commercial so he should b grateful to b gettin paid at all. As far as Heigal she has a great film career goin on and would do well if she left because she is a great actor and i would watch any movie she plays in. knight needs to calm down and enjoy the time he do get on the show because im sure its plenty of actor lining up to be apart of the show i wish i could get some air time my 15mins of fame

May 29 2009 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

It went down hill after Burke left. I hope T.R. is replaced and keep the George character. I hope Izzy (And Danny) just die.

May 28 2009 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joanna's comment
Becky

I agree about Burke. Once he left the show has not been the same. I will not be sorry to see George leave as he has never been a favorite of mine. Izzie, if she does in fact leave....I will be very sad. Denny on the other hand....just go into the light and stay there.

May 29 2009 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VikiCrsnCty

Grey's is 1 of my top 10 shows. I like all the characters. I will miss seeing either/or both of them if they go. I didn't even think about them replacing George. That is possible but if they do it better be someone that the fans will except. He has been a mainstay since the beginning and I can't imagine anyone taking his place. I couldn't understand why George was the only character from the first season that they snubbed when they were advancing all the others. It seemed to me, the writers were making a mockery of the character, making George look stupid, and not being able to pass the Dr.s test. His character was in lots of the scenes before Isaiah Washington left. Since that time TJ Knights character seemed to get lesser and lesser time. I hope whatever either of them do they are happy doing it and life keeps getting better.

May 28 2009 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

Is there a button option for "I'd rather just watch next season and find out"?

May 28 2009 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

Please let both of them be gone. Please please please!

May 28 2009 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

Their fates rest in their own hands. No matter what is decided both of them can be replaced by other actors. I can't understand why they would complain about being on such a great show. The odds of being in a hit show are enormous. I guess the pay checks aren't big enough. What would they do if they had to work at a job that was beneath them? O the pain!

May 28 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

This article hasn't told us anything that we already knew ourselves (from other posts on tvsquad.com, much less).

May 28 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply