July 24, 2014

Jessica Simpson finds a new way to embarrass herself on TV

by Mike Moody, posted May 28th 2009 7:05PM
jessica simpson new reality showSome things in life are just inevitable. Your hair will turn gray, you'll have to pay taxes, and Jessica Simpson will always try to shove her particular brand of stupid in your face.

The former Newlyweds star is reportedly shopping around a reality TV show called The Price of Beauty. Here's the concept, according to a US Weekly source: "She and a friend set off on a road trip around the world in search of what people find beautiful and why."

Reports describe the show as an exploration on society's outlook of women's bodies ... with a bit of Fear Factor thrown in! I'm not kidding. The source continued, saying that Simpson will do "shocking things that women do to make themselves beautiful. Picture Fear Factor."

So Jessica Simpson's handlers have figured out a way to exploit all that recent media criticism about her body. Yay for them. In the meantime, we'll all have to make a choice: Do we feel bummed out because another vacuous pop star is making reality TV worse? Or do we look forward to the show's premiere and another chance to laugh at Simpson's raging idiocy?

For health reasons, I choose the laughing.

Leila

Please! What is this woman trying to prove? She tries to sound worldly, wise and sophisticated, but she's not fooling anyone (well, maybe a few). She has proven over and over again, that there's just not much substance there. So fake, so mindless, so unoriginal.

June 23 2009 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beverly

Jessica Simpson was just somebody pushed through the music business. She is not a professional anything. She has made more mistakes during her short career than anyone every made. Why not just put her to the side, her dad just keeps her out there to embarrass her. Jessica wake up find another career and be good at it.

June 23 2009 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maxwell

I thought the article was funny and not harsh at all. I agree with everything the author says except the part about looking forward to the shows premiere to laugh at her idiocy. I will not watch this show. I look forward to her failing again like her countyr music venture and her movies and her disappearance from the limelight forever.

May 30 2009 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

Actually, the *concept* of the show doesn't sound half bad. It's not like the subject of body image and "beauty" aren't valid and interesting topics. And even the proposed execution could work, if it helps to draw in viewers who normally shy away from more introspective topics. Basically, it sounds like a sort of "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" or "Bizarre Foods" only built around appearance and beauty.

Now if it will in any way fulfill the potential of the concept with the people actually involved remains to be seen, but I'm all for at least giving it, and her, a chance. This could just be more mindless fluff, but at the same time, it's pretty hard for people to do better than they have in the past if nobody gives them the chance to do so.

May 29 2009 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jffm's comment
sal

The public doesn't owe her a chance. Besides, she's had lots of chances in many different areas. People don't like her as a singer or as an actress. I hope no network picks this show up. It's time for her to go away.

May 30 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

"making reality TV worse"? "raging idiocy"?

That's a bit extreme. But I guess it's easy and uninspired to jump in and write another article bashing Jessica Simpson instead of something original and interesting. Weak.

May 29 2009 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dean's comment
jr

The article was fine. It's the subject matter that is lacking. Jessica Simpson is uninspiring, not interesting, weak in the talent and intellect department, and not original. And if the rumors are true about the number of men she's slept with, she's what's easy.

May 30 2009 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don Crossman

Simpson should stick to what she does best -- standing, sitting, walking in heels....

May 29 2009 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cindell

I think we could all do with a little less sarcasm... she's okay...she's doing her thing. I agree that when she tries to sing Country Music it sounds like she is screaming..but, she seems like a nice enough gal... so let's get off her back and let her alone for awhile and see how she does.

May 29 2009 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roland

I like Simpson, she is a Texas lady but talent wise,
forget it!

Good Luck

May 29 2009 at 7:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

I think she needs the money.

May 29 2009 at 3:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

When I read this article I thought, "That was a bit harsh for no reason." but then thought, "I'm probably the only one who thinks that." Comes to pass I am not the only one, the first two posts kinda say lay off of being so harsh too. So I guess I am just letting the author know that there is no need to be overly harsh for no reason.

May 28 2009 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply