October 22, 2014

Joss Whedon plans to put Summer Glau on Dollhouse

by Bob Sassone, posted May 28th 2009 8:08AM
Summer GlauI'm not sure how many people watched both Dollhouse and The Sarah Connor Chronicles, though both were on Friday nights at the end, so they probably had a lot of fans in common. If you were a fan of the latter show, this news might ease the pain of knowing that show will not be returning in the fall.

Joss Whedon tells Michael Ausiello that Summer Glau, who played Cameron on The Sarah Connor Chronicles, is going to be on Dollhouse!

He doesn't know what part she'll play; they still have to figure all of that out. She won't be playing a doll, but she might play an active. I have no idea what that last sentence even means, but Dollhouse fans will. She could even play a different part than those two choices.

Dollhouse was a surprise renewal from FOX, and the show will be back for 13 episodes, again on Friday nights at 9 PM.

Greg

I figured if Terminator was canned than Joss would find a way to get Summer on Dollhouse and I cannot wait to see her on the show.

May 28 2009 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

Thanks Perk. I remembered it later in the day (was still waking up when I posted that). ;D

When TSCC started, the last thing I wanted to see was Summer as a Terminator. But for this show, I don't think it would be typecasting her as a doll/active. Sure it's an action type roll, but she'd have different personalities to jump into which I think would be really fun to see. And by making Echo/Caroline her handler would hopefully bring a strong dynamic between the two.

Still though, what ever roll she plays I don't care as long as they get her.

May 28 2009 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

What a mess of a post, and not just for the active/doll thing. It's looking likely that Joss will find a way to get Summer on the show, but by no means is it a done deal yet, nor should it be reported as such. The bit from Ausiello gives me the impression they're still in the planning stages.

May 28 2009 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Don't want to hear these comments, "Get rid of Eliza and have Summer be the star." It a ridiculous comment. And I hope she won't be a replacment for Amy Acker. There is no replacing Amy. Other then that all I'll say is "Summer, welcome to the "Dollhouse".

May 28 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Sweet... this takes just the tiniest bit of hurt off of Sarah Conner Chronicles being canceled before its time.

For those who are complaining about the quality of Dollhouse, I would venture that the storyline improved tremendously after Joss got thru the mandatory episode changes the network demanded he make the first few eps. While I would agree that it is no Firefly, Dollhouse is still a decent show that could be a great show with a little bit of tweaking. Reports are that changes are already underway - mostly because of the budget cuts - but again, all that means is that the writing will really have to shine. Joss has proven in the past that he can produce some really fine television and as we found out with the second season of Terminator, once a show hits its stride and works out the kinks it can blow away a weak first season. I guess I was one of the rare fans who actually enjoyed the first season, bumps and all. Summer joins an already geek-actor friendly series and will be a terrific partner to the dolls in whatever role they cast her.

May 28 2009 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gusar

Erm, a "doll" and an "active" are one and the same. And it's something Summer will *not* play. Thank heavens for that, I say. Typecasting is the last thing Summer needs.
But I have confidence that whatever Joss comes up with, it'll be awesome.

May 28 2009 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

Yea, that Doll/Active quote was a bit confusing. Based on that quote, I thought Actives were what Boy'd character did. I still stand by my original comment though. Do they have a official title?

May 28 2009 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Zach's comment
Perk

They are called "Handlers". They guide the dolls while they are actives, playing the roll they are programmed to play.

May 28 2009 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

She could play a female Alfa rouge doll therefore being an active but not a doll...sorta.I hope Dollhouse makes it through.I think Joss needs to really start thinking way out of the box for it to survive.

And I'm all for anything that furthers Summer's career.

May 28 2009 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

Agree with Jed. From what I read, Joss said that she'd be perfect to play a doll/active, but she's done that a lot. He likes to take actors and actresses out of their comfort zones, especially if that's what they've done a while, so she'll be playing a regular girl.

May 28 2009 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

This is news I have been waiting for. I have been a fan of Summer Glau since Firefly, and she is the only reason I started watching Sarah Connor Chronicles, seeing as how I am not actually a Terminator fan.

May 28 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply