April 19, 2014

Now that Chuck is saved, how about you watch it?

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 29th 2009 12:28PM
chuck me mondays chucktv.netDefying all odds and the writers' strike curse, Chuck has managed to snag a third season on NBC. So what now? Obviously, new episodes won't start airing until after the Winter Olympics, so fans and those associated with the show and NBC have a few months before they need to begin obsessively tracking the ratings. But that doesn't mean that fans are taking the summer off.

Chucktv.net
, a Chuck fansite, is hosting "Chuck Me Mondays," starting June 1st. They're inviting both current fans and those who are just wanting to know what all the Chuck fuss is about to watch the spy comedy as a group Monday nights at 9 PM. While you watch, you can comment on the episode right on their site, or on Twitter, with the objective being to make Chuck a trending topic on the micro-blogging site every Monday. They're starting with the pilot and working all the way up to the season 2 finale-- it's a crash-course in all things Chuck.

NBC is finding itself in the same position that CBS found itself with Jericho a few years ago. A modestly-rated series has been saved by a rabid fan base. Unfortunately for Jericho, when it returned, the internet interest didn't translate into television ratings. Chuck fans seem to be trying to learn from that by using the summer months to build interest in their pet show.

This push by ChuckTV.net and all of their "Save Chuck" compatriots is important for the future of television. While the internet managed to get Jericho renewed for a second season, the fact that it didn't make it to a third made a lot of people in the industry doubt the efficacy of fan campaigns. If this, or the continued fan support of Subway, Chuck's main sponsor, actually translates to more eyeballs pointed at the show come Fall, then that could have lasting ramifications when it comes time for the networks to decide which shows stay and which shows go.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, which is why Chuck ultimately got renewed while fellow sophomore series Life, did not. However, it all comes down to the bottom line. If the newly-greased wheel can actually make money for the network, fans may have a lasting voice in the process. However, if Chuck crashes and burns next season, all of the nuts or the $5 footlongs in the world won't make networks continue to listen to the fans.

angelpoo12

I'm making a point to watch the show. If I have to work late on a Monday then I will Go to www.nbc.com the next day to watch it. I make sure That I keep up whats going on.

May 29 2009 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK!!!! This is the best show on TV....I truly believe if NBC would properly promote the show it could do very well!! It's so unique and could really appeal to a lot of people!! I cannot wait for it to come back!!!!!!!!!!

May 29 2009 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

My reply to the headline: No.

May 29 2009 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven

I really wish Life had been renewed. I am very unhappy that they canceled that. The new Leno show is taking up a big block of spots.

May 29 2009 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aston

If the show was any good you wouldn't have to beg people to watch it.

May 29 2009 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Aston's comment
Ann

Will I watch Chuck? Not anymore. I have banned the network from my home in response to the way they treated the best series on television (and no, I'm not referring to Chuck, but another series). The entire NothingButCrap, NoBodyCares, NoBrainsCorporation network can kiss my a--.

May 29 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ann's comment
tingrin87

mind telling us WHICH "best series on TV" you're talking about?

June 06 2009 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Urkel

The internet has a trend of grouping people together for "a cause" because they want to feel like they can make a difference. But when it comes to actually following through with things then they usually continue doing what they've been doing. In this case, people won't be watching Chuck and ratings will probably drop.

May 29 2009 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Urkel's comment
jacob

Wrong...season two was so beyond amazing that people are out of their mind fired up, and yeah, will be tuning in next fall thank you very much.

May 30 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

I'm glad Chuck is coming back. However, we have to wait until next spring, after the winter Olympics. Chuck is paired with the new series Day One on NBC's Monday night schedule for the Spring. I'm down for Chuck Me Mondays though.

May 29 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Josh's comment
Kona Gallagher

You're absolutely right, Josh. I knew that it was coming back then, but I just had a brain fart. Thanks for that, and I've updated the post.

May 29 2009 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Thanks for the support, Kona. It was a bit of a shock to see this pop up in Google Reader, but I'll take that kind of shock any day! :)

Mel
ChuckTV.net

May 29 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mel's comment
Kona Gallagher

Heh. Glad I could shock you. I found out about it via @savechuck on Twitter, and thought it sounded like a cool idea.

May 29 2009 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

CHUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

I ignored the show for its past 2 seasons because I started med school (cut down shows), but I watched all 2 seasons about 2 weeks ago and it rocks. I'll try to join Chuck Me Mondays and get more people involved.

May 29 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply