August 21, 2014

Doctor Who: the movie?

by Brad Trechak, posted May 30th 2009 9:05AM
Doctor WhoThe rumors flow like wine. Once again, "news" has surfaced that a Doctor Who movie is in the works. Supposedly this one has a bit more merit because the BBC has confirmed that one is in development, yet they don't link to a press release of any kind. Forgive me if I have some doubts.

If true, which Doctor is it? Will it be David Tennant or Matt Smith? And which showrunner is it? Russell T. Davies or Steven Moffat? Or is the answer none of the above?

There has been a lot of recent developments in the Doctor Who world. A movie is the next logical step.

If I had my druthers, the movie would be about the Time War (the Daleks being the obvious choice for the alien enemy of the movie). It would star Paul McGann and fill the gap between the 1996 television movie and the 2005 relaunch. The odds are so astronomically against as to be incalculable, but I can dream.

cmer413337

my boyfreind would go nuts if a movie was going to be made he is a big doctorwho fan

June 03 2009 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter hirschman

I like the Idea of the time war storyline .
as we need to find out the paticulars between McGann's
version and The restart in '05 with Eccleston (someone who I don't get enough of ) this backstory is Importent
to the first 3-4 years so of the series and needs to be
told. and just for yah alls information the mcGann version is Just as important for continuity as all the others. also the peter cushing version while not exactly
li8ke it's tv scource it Is nearly so and is on the par with what was on at that time . and starred Cushing probly
because he was already a Hammmer studio (the producer/distributers of the picture) regular .
bear in mind that Hartnell wasn't well in those days either.

May 31 2009 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Count me in as both an old fan of the Doctor (since the mid-seventies anyway) and as someone who enjoyed the 1996 FOX film. As much as I feel it unlikely, I would gladly purchase this on DVD if it were released, simply for the memories. What I think most fans forget is that when this film was released, it had been YEARS since we had been given ANY new "WHO" episodes and the current BBC version was yet a distant spark that we could only hope for. For that reason alone, I loved that this film exists. Was it a masterpiece? Of course not. Was it better than not seeing the good Doctor at all for a decade and a half? Absolutely!

Personally, I liked this film much more than I did the relatively terrible 1960s films featuring Peter Cushing. At least the story was original and fit within the continuity of the series. I think expectations for it were incredibly high and for the most part unrealistic. It was also testing the waters to see if a new series could come from the film and so of course it was shot that way rather than as a complete stand alone film. Regardless, it was worth watching and I think if most critics were to see it again all these years later, it wouldn't be as "terrible" as they thought it was the first go round.

May 31 2009 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

That's weird, mj, I thought lots of folks enjoy that TV movie. I've never seen it.

My vote would be for this to include the David Tennant to Matt Smith regeneration, but instead of the change happening at the very end of the movie, let it happen in the middle. That way, we get to see the effects of the Doctor's change on the way he handles whatever the crisis is.

May 30 2009 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

While I would LOVE a film about the good Doctor, anything pertaining to that horrible 1996 film would be revolting. I personally think that film was just a bad dream.

May 30 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mj's comment
Chris

Generally, the 1996 movie is pretty dire but McGann was excellent.

May 31 2009 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

It could star anybody. How many years were there between the TV movie and the Time War? Who knows?

They could even at the end have him regenerate into Tennat's predecessor.

Heck they could regenerate into the Movie Dr Who 5 minutes in from McGann as part of an opening tease.

Somethinglike:

++Opening tease with McGann as WHo dies as prelude to Time War...

++Opening Credits

++ Flashback to Tom Baker (at least his voice) as Who discussing back ground of the Daleks, theTardis, and the Whoverse rules for fanboy and fangirls or heck flash to all of the predecessor Doctors as new Actor X comes out of his regeneration haze. This also gets all non-fanboys and fangirls up top speed.

++Meat of Movie with Actor X as Who

++Actor X as Who dies along with the destruction of the Daleks and Galifrey

++Actor X regenerate into into the first of the new doctors...who is saddened that he regenerated and didn't die with the rest of the time lords.

++Closing Credits