September 1, 2014

Peep Show's on Hulu... No, not that kind of peep show

by Annie Wu, posted May 30th 2009 10:02AM
Peep Show
I recently -- and giddily -- posted about Hulu.com's inclusion of Channel 4's Green Wing, one of my favorite programs. Hulu is definitely on my good side right now, as they also have the first season of Peep Show online now. Those of you that don't have this in your list of British comedies to conquer, you should. Now. I mean, once you get over David Mitchell's extra-weird, giant, almost-black eyes, it's pretty enjoyable.

For those of you unaware of what Peep Show is, it's a bit like The Odd Couple gone horribly, horribly wrong. Like, really horribly wrong. It's also filmed in a really interesting way, as every shot is from another character's point-of-view and the audience occasionally gets to hear some inner monologue from Jeremy and Mark, played by Robert Webb and David Mitchell respectively. After a few episodes, you'll probably find that your conscience has acquired one of their voices. Sometimes when I'm stuck in an extra-awkward situation, it's Mitchell's voice shouting expletives in my head. I swear it's not as scary as it sounds.

If you're a sucker for cringeworthy comedy but find The Office (UK) a little too subtle, check out the first episode (sorry, US only):

jim

NATHAN BARLEY and PEEP SHOW. Comedy heaven right up there with ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT and SPACED.

May 31 2009 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PC

Thank you ANNIE WU for the recommendation! I woke up out of sorts this glorious Sunday morning and decided to soak up Series One of this show you planted into my thoughts.

I enjoyed it too much! ((Two stick figures and a Nazi heart!? Ahh!))

I feel like I owe you something ... so my question for you is ... have you seen NATHAN BARLEY? Another MUST SEE from the UK. A rare comedic gem attacking hyped up pretentious pretenders.

May 31 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan C

haha i was expecting, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im not sick but im not welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. haha, but its the weird beat on drums and keyboards theme song. watched every single season through college and hope to see the new season in a bit? its supposed to come out soon right?

still havent seen "green wing" but im on a himym binge right now.

May 30 2009 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jonathan C's comment
JR

According to wikipedia the sixth season or "series" is supposed to start airing sometime this summer, and it's already been renewed for a seventh. Don't know how reliable that information is but hope it's true.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of the show. Its definitely a darker comedy and uses a lot of cringeworthy humor which I enjoy, and I'm glad that more people might be exposed to it now that it's on Hulu.

The first series was good, but the second was the best in my opinion. Unfortunately, only the first series has been released on dvd here in the U.S. but of course there are always other places to find them all online...

May 30 2009 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

Annie, as a Brit who reads TV Squad.

I must say you pick the best the UK shows to love, the 5 seasons of Peep Show are hilarious. Green Wing is brilliant, UK Office is a classic.

Everybody listen, and check out Hulu for the first season - some real class stuff.

May 30 2009 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andy's comment
Dan

I love Peep Show, but I would say that the first series is by far the worst. It's nowhere near as funny as series 2-5, and they were clearly just getting to grips with the unique format. So, if you watch it and don't like it, I suggest you give series 2 a try before making a final judgement.

May 30 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply