October 26, 2014

The Tiny Toons episode you weren't supposed to see

by Brad Trechak, posted May 31st 2009 2:02PM
Tiny Toon AdventuresPerhaps some of you are already aware of the existence of this particular gem, but I was surprised to find online a banned episode of Tiny Toon Adventures from the early 90's. In it, Buster Bunny, Plucky Duck and Hamton Pig find a bottle of beer that never goes empty, then proceed to get drunk, steal a cop car, cause general chaos and collectively die by driving said car over a cliff.

I can understand why Warner Brothers and Steven Spielberg may have wanted to stop this one from the airwaves. Despite dying at the end, I think it more highlights the positive values of being drunk, such as the ability to completely break any law you wish without fear of consequences (much as when your favorite sports team wins some sort of championship). Plus, I very much want to find that particular bottle of beer.

You can judge it for yourselves. Video is after the jump.

Tonguebeast

I've definitely seen that before, when I was a kid.

June 03 2009 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Realee

Yes I definitely remember seeing this air as a kid as well, and hell so many old cartoons are banned now it doesn't surprise me this ended up on that list but it most definitely aired at one point in time.

June 03 2009 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Atlas

Kids, do you remember that amazing paradise we've been telling you about every Sunday; the one with flying puppies, unlimited free candy, and it's Christmas everyday!? Now you can get there in only a few short hours. Just use our new and improved 'BEER'. After only a few sips you'll be off to a land of adventure and treasure.

Are you worried about feelin' lonely on your exotic ascent to heaven? Don't sweat it. Just a single bottle of our new and improved 'BEER' is plenty to get you and two close friends to your very own never-never land. As you fly from cloud to cloud you can make anything you imagine turn into reality. You can fight pirates all day and roast smores all night. No more bed times or time outs, just bliss and ultimate happiness for all eternity. All it takes is a quick trip to the fridge and a sense of adventure. But, be sure to do it while mommy and daddy are out. Otherwise they will steal all of the precious nectar for themselves.

::This is an exaggeration and clearly not on point for what Warner Bros was exemplifying but I thought it would be an interesting exercise to restate the purpose/moral of the story in a different light::

Thoughts? Should we reconsider how we portray death to children if we are also going to tell them that it will bring them to a paradise?

June 02 2009 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ls

yeah i definitely saw this one on tv plenty of times when i was younger

June 02 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen Ackart

LOL! That's my kind of beer. Where can I buy a bottle of this again?

June 02 2009 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blake

Yep, this episode was definitely aired. I've seen it back in the 90's too.

June 02 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom P

This WAS on TV when it came out but do to society's "advancement " it has become "not politically correct " and consequently has been banned from daytime Tv since ...you won't see this aired during prime time/daytime anymore . It may end up someday on the air late night on an Adult Swim venue or something similar but shows like this have gone the wayside just like smoking in movies / Tv shows has .

June 02 2009 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wes

Yeah, upon watching it again, I am absolutely sure that I saw this one as a kid! I had no idea it had been banned or anything.

I didn't find the episode annoying, but I was young enough that I had no interest in drinking alcohol anyway. I did, however, think it was hilarious.

June 01 2009 at 6:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

It's a heavy-handed "message" episode that simultaneously pokes fun at the message -- and therefore doesn't work as either, and certainly doesn't work as a kid's cartoon.

May 31 2009 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AngryBob

Loved it - like "Reefer Madness" for tots.

May 31 2009 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply