July 23, 2014

I don't think I can take four nights a week of pseudo-celebs

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Jun 2nd 2009 10:02AM
Stephen Baldwin, Sanjaya Malakar, and a celebrity Okay. Out of desperation to escape from rerunland, I watched I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! What I didn't realize is the time commitment expected if I dare get involved. Two hours for the premiere tonight. I can deal with that. But then, as they aired the show, they mentioned it will be on four nights a week -- Monday through Thursday evenings. Yikes! Thankfully, it's only an hour for the remaining nights and it's less than a four-week season.

However, it would be nice if I had any sort of clue as to who these pseudo-celebs are. I know who Lou Diamond Phillips and Stephen Baldwin are, of course. Stephen is the lesser Baldwin doomed to be on shows which remind him he's a celebrity. Because I'm an American Idol watcher, I know Sanjaya. But who are the rest of these people, and why do they think they're all that?

I refuse to watch The Hills. What I've heard about and the little I've seen of Heidi and Spencer tends to irk me to no end. In a show which is similar to Survivor with more creature comforts, these two pampered Beverly Hills kiddies are not only out of their element, they're more irksome than Ben Wade was. When they left the show (twice), I was hoping they were gone. I'm glad the others appropriated their stuff. That hair product is probably killing the rain forest ... or wherever they are.

Patti "Stand By Your Man" Blagojevich was a pleasant surprise. Since disgraced, impeached, and otherwise legally in deep doo-doo former Illinois Governer hubby Rod wasn't allowed to make the show, she took his place. I think I'd rather watch her than him. Her hair doesn't mesmerize my attention when she's on the screen. Outside the defending her husband bit (which you would expect of a wife), she's normal. That's so much better than Spencer and Heidi right there.

The rest? I don't know -- a few comedians from VH1, a woman wrestler, a supermodel who has seen better times on the runway, a basketball player. It's a weird conglomeration of pseudo-celebs. It's like Donald Trump's The Celebrity Apprentice on a bare-bones budget, yet can pay the bill for the lesser Baldwin.

I doubt I'll catch every episode. But right now I want Sanjaya to win ... as long as he doesn't take the show one step further -- I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here, the Musical. If that happens, he should be eaten by the local monkeys.

satya

Sanjaya shined! Now that he's been (suspiciously) voted off - I'm bored! get me outta here!

June 23 2009 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Knew he looked familiar. Thanks.

June 02 2009 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Isn't the male host (forgot his name) Ryan Seacrest's co-host from the first season of American Idol?

I watched the show and LMAO too. When Spencer was at the door trying to "leave" the first time, and said that he was rich and famous and thought the show would have "real" celebrities like him and Heidi there with them, I almost choked myself to death laughing. I don't know that I could take four weeks of this.

June 02 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joyce N.'s comment
ricky19

nope, he's from TRL on mtv which was cancelled

June 02 2009 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

This show was awesome. Wall-to-wall stupidity and I was LMAO'ing the entire time. I REALLY hope Spencer and Heidi don't get voted off because they are by far the worst, which makes them the most entertaining.

It does need a few more people on it though, especially since some of them are more like duos instead of separate people.

Survivor + Surreal Life = win

June 02 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis phillips

whats next...jay Leno 5 nights a week from 10-11?get me outa here!

June 02 2009 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sancty

The 2 from The Hills are playing parts for the show - there's no way this is legitimate!

June 02 2009 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

I watched it during commercials, and I just couldnt even take it in small doses, It was like watching a bunch of brats at outward bound try to establish their ranks on the first night, they were all basically giving eachother and the audience the "cliff notes" version of what they were "all about" and it wasnt much, not even enough to make it interesting. Celebrities they arent, and this show is going to bomb. PLUS the hosts? complete bores!

also all the challenges are rip offs from tons of different reality shows, americans are bored of the bug eating, bugs in a tank, slime bucket stunts.

June 02 2009 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

This is sort of like the "Celebrity" Apprentice. Since when did a model that opens suitcases on Deal or No Deal and a Playboy model count as celebrities? I have a feeling they're just there to appease Trump's need for eye candy.

I bet very few people knew who Annie was before this show. People don't tend to have professional poker players' names off the top of their heads.

June 02 2009 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I watched about the last 15 minutes. I know it's live and everything but they started a challenge with about 5 minutes left to go in the hour and about half way through someone just pops on the screen and goes THAT'S ALL THE TIME WE HAVE FOR TODAY! Uh...how does that work?

June 02 2009 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeffsmybud

Well, I for one want to puke when I see the over the hill "Supermodel" Janice Dickinson. She opens that over done mouth she had installed and it's like chalk on a chalk board! She is rude, obnoxious, hateful and a plain OLD wrinkled mess. No wonder Janice was jettisoned off ANTM!
As for Heidi, the poor dear, boo hoo, boo hoo someone made off with her products? haha That was so funny. My 13 year old granddaughter doesn't behave that way. I think the behavior of Spencer was more in line with my 8 year old grandson. All show! If that's what one can call it. Stephen needs the cash I suppose. But, please when scrapping the very bottom of the barrel, why Sanjaya? I just view these people so sad. I have always thought LouDiamond was a good actor. Someone mis-managed him. The others I have never heard of. I suppose for me, that's a really good thing!!!

June 02 2009 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply